• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Building a Golden Age DC collection from the ground up
1 1

282 posts in this topic

But like I said, you live and you learn. It's still a cool book. I just have to sink a little more money into it now at no fault of my own. I'm sure we can all attest, that's just how this hobby works sometimes.

Sad, but true - considering the number of sharks, snakes, and snails out there fortitude and resiliency are two good attributes for a collector to have.

Based on what we know, I agree with Sqeggs that the experienced seller could have handled this better.

Live and learn.

Hey guys,

Just to clarify a few things about my earlier post:

1) My post wasn't meant as an indictment of the seller. I was simply bummed with what I received. To his credit, I was immediately offered the standard "shipping's on you" refund. So I have that as an option here, though it's not really the one I wanted and I'm probably just gonna end up eating this one.

2) The slab arrived missing its top sticker (not label), and it had clearly been cracked open after slabbing as the sides of the case were easily splitting apart. So yes, it looks like it has been tampered with (not maliciously) and then put back together. Either that or it's the worst, loosest seal I've ever seen on a CGC book. Anything's possible, but I'm guessing the original slabber just didn't like the grade, cracked the book out to inspect something and then shottily pieced the slab back together. Nobody was trying to deceive anybody here, but none-the-less it's something that clearly needs to be mentioned on a listing as the seller was selling it as an clean slab.

3) The issue is not with the integrity of the book. I wholeheartedly believe it to be a slightly restored 3.0. I don't suspect the original slabber or seller of mischief of any kind to intentionally deceive about the book's condition or anything like that. However, since the integrity of the slab is now tampered with, I am stuck eating the cost of getting it slabbed again. This isn't a simple crack or scuff on the case, and I cannot just have it re-slabbed. I will have to pay the full slabbing costs in this situation.

The bottom line is that this bummer of situation all could have been avoided had the seller disclosed this obvious issue. You win some, you lose some.

Did the seller say it was a surprise to him that the slab had been opened? If so, he should be apologizing, taking it back, and refunding your shipping costs. I thought eBay's buyer protection obliges him to refund shipping costs in a case like this. If I'm remembering correctly (and I easily may not be!), if he refuses to refund shipping, eBay will refund it and dock him for it.

If he knew the slab had been opened and didn't mention it, then I think you are being charitable in saying that no deception was involved. It's something that absolutely has to be mentioned.

To this point, the transaction would seem to merit negative fb. If I were the seller, I would be bending over backwards to avoid that outcome.

It was apparently a consignment item. So who knows. You would have thought he would have caught it, given that he's a well known dealer, but everybody is entitled to a few mistakes.

Bottom line is that I want to keep the book, despite being bummed about the issues with the slab. It's a hard book to come by for the price I got it at, so I guess I just chalk it up to that. I'll just get it slabbed again and pray nothing else happened to the book when/if it was cracked (sure looks like it was).

Don't know whether I should consider negative feedback, but he certainly isn't getting positive.

I guess if you the feel the price you paid plus the fees to get the book regraded are less than the price you would have been willing to pay, you will come out ok -- except for the aggravation and wait while the book goes through the grading process.

Still surprising that the seller wasn't willing to do more when told he had sold a book in a slab that had been opened.

I was initially bummed and a little bit disturbed, but it's Thanksgiving and life's too short to worry about an oversight (intentional or otherwise). I've got plenty to be thankful for! (thumbs u

Hey guys,

Just to clarify a few things about my earlier post:

1) My post wasn't meant as an indictment of the seller. I was simply bummed with what I received. To his credit, I was immediately offered the standard "shipping's on you" refund. So I have that as an option here, though it's not really the one I wanted and I'm probably just gonna end up eating this one.

2) The slab arrived missing its top sticker (not label), and it had clearly been cracked open after slabbing as the sides of the case were easily splitting apart. So yes, it looks like it has been tampered with (not maliciously) and then put back together. Either that or it's the worst, loosest seal I've ever seen on a CGC book. Anything's possible, but I'm guessing the original slabber just didn't like the grade, cracked the book out to inspect something and then shottily pieced the slab back together. Nobody was trying to deceive anybody here, but none-the-less it's something that clearly needs to be mentioned on a listing as the seller was selling it as an clean slab.

3) The issue is not with the integrity of the book. I wholeheartedly believe it to be a slightly restored 3.0. I don't suspect the original slabber or seller of mischief of any kind to intentionally deceive about the book's condition or anything like that. However, since the integrity of the slab is now tampered with, I am stuck eating the cost of getting it slabbed again. This isn't a simple crack or scuff on the case, and I cannot just have it re-slabbed. I will have to pay the full slabbing costs in this situation.

The bottom line is that this bummer of situation all could have been avoided had the seller disclosed this obvious issue. You win some, you lose some.

Did the seller say it was a surprise to him that the slab had been opened? If so, he should be apologizing, taking it back, and refunding your shipping costs. I thought eBay's buyer protection obliges him to refund shipping costs in a case like this. If I'm remembering correctly (and I easily may not be!), if he refuses to refund shipping, eBay will refund it and dock him for it.

If he knew the slab had been opened and didn't mention it, then I think you are being charitable in saying that no deception was involved. It's something that absolutely has to be mentioned.

To this point, the transaction would seem to merit negative fb. If I were the seller, I would be bending over backwards to avoid that outcome.

It was apparently a consignment item. So who knows. You would have thought he would have caught it, given that he's a well known dealer, but everybody is entitled to a few mistakes.

Bottom line is that I want to keep the book, despite being bummed about the issues with the slab. It's a hard book to come by for the price I got it at, so I guess I just chalk it up to that. I'll just get it slabbed again and pray nothing else happened to the book when/if it was cracked (sure looks like it was).

Don't know whether I should consider negative feedback, but he certainly isn't getting positive.

I guess if you the feel the price you paid plus the fees to get the book regraded are less than the price you would have been willing to pay, you will come out ok -- except for the aggravation and wait while the book goes through the grading process.

Still surprising that the seller wasn't willing to do more when told he had sold a book in a slab that had been opened.

I was initially bummed and a little bit disturbed, but it's Thanksgiving and life's too short to worry about an oversight (intentional or otherwise). I've got plenty to be thankful for! (thumbs u

You've got entirely the wrong attitude for hanging around on these boards! :D

Well, not be a wet blanket about your dream book cuz its also one of mine, but Gary Dolgoff just sold a Action 13 on ebay in blue 3.5 for $34k.... That seems high to me, but it is the "Tec 31" of Action covers. :sorry:

Yikers. Wasn't there a copy that listed recently for $15k? Or was that it? Pretty sad when it's a years mortgage to get a book like Action #13.

Well, not be a wet blanket about your dream book cuz its also one of mine, but Gary Dolgoff just sold a Action 13 on ebay in blue 3.5 for $34k.... That seems high to me, but it is the "Tec 31" of Action covers. :sorry:

Yikers. Wasn't there a copy that listed recently for $15k? Or was that it? Pretty sad when it's a years mortgage to get a book like Action #13.

Yeah, that was the copy, min bid was 15k.

Yeah, that was the copy, min bid was 15k.

Good grief, I thought that was BIN when I first looked at it.

Since I have been here, I can remember a 4.0 selling for 6 to 8K I believe.

I guess price wise, but even just counting Superman covers, I don't see it. 7, 10 & 19 are all cooler to my eyes.

I guess price wise, but even just counting Superman covers, I don't see it. 7, 10 & 19 are all cooler to my eyes.

This has been my feeling as well. Also, I will throw #17 in as one of the covers I like better than #13.

The only ones I could see over #13 are #1 and #7 in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of #10 or #15. Love #17, #19, and #20. And am I the only one who really likes #22?

The only ones I could see over #13 are #1 and #7 in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan of #10 or #15. Love #17, #19, and #20. And am I the only one who really likes #22?

No. This is my old copy.

action22.jpg

No. This is my old copy.

action22.jpg

(worship)

To me, #22 and #23 are the last Action covers before they started getting commercialized. That diamond price insignia. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

Diamond? Odd how folks see the same thing differently. I always refer to those as parallelograms

I'd call it a rhombus.

In Euclidean geometry, a rhombus (◊), plural rhombi or rhombuses, is a simple (non-self-intersecting) quadrilateral whose four sides all have the same length. Another name is equilateral quadrilateral, since equilateral means that all of its sides are equal in length. The rhombus is often called a diamond, after the diamonds suit in playing cards, or a lozenge, though the former sometimes refers specifically to a rhombus with a 60° angle (see Polyiamond), and the latter sometimes refers specifically to a rhombus with a 45° angle.

(thumbs u

I third that!

(thumbs u

I third that!

But it's a streamliner train, folks! They don't come much cooler than that.