• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel

161 posts in this topic

Man of Steel is a good film and one that needed to be good after the Dark Knight trilogy ended for Warner Brothers and DC.

It makes DC fans hopeful for future films that can give Marvel a run for its money.

I'm still in love with that movie. :luhv:

I was digging it, loving the little changes, and such...

until they started the battles in Smallville and Metropolis.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

I want to like it. I really do but I just can't. It's too long and I could have done without the entire Krypton origin. It could have been done much faster and without all the Avatar like flying fight scenes on his dragon. :(

Lois Lane was ridiculous in believing anything about her relationship with Superman or Clark. It seemed forced and very awkward.

Lastly, the time it takes to get to the amazing fight scenes at the end just leaves me ready to sleep. My wife (who loves the Christopher Reeves Sup 1 movie) couldn't last the whole movie and said it didn't compare.

I have to agree. I wish I didn't feel that way.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

I think I got what the makers were trying to convey with the innocent bystanders caught in between the battle for mankind. Collateral damage? But like you, I thought Superman's main purpose in the medium was to save cities like Smallville and Metropolis. One could look at it as he truly did "save" both locations, but to me... it wasn't the usual job for Superman.

Personally, I am more tired of Michael Bay noise (constant boom booms) during these climaxes. I was hoping for something a little more quick and "personal" (ala Skyfall) and subdued (the Fortress of Solitude showdown in Superman II). The Avengers's third act veered into this territory too. Save more for later.

But, I still want to say I really enjoyed this movie to the point where I won't be able to watch the originals the same way again.

Yes, and by the end of the movie he gains his humanity.

I see the future movies making him a bit more of a boyscout.

My only complaints with the movie were Kevin Costner and that horrible tornado scene.

While what you describe we can assume to be true, i just finushed watching it and they never actually show anyone being killed during the fight scenes as collateral damage.

They only show the direct kills.

I wasn't really referring to showing people dying. I was more referring to a gas station in the middle of the day, with cars parked at the pumps, there's no warning that a battle is happening so there would be people there, pumping gas, buying slim jims, etc. Watching Smallville get destroyed like that made it feel unlike Superman.

It's hard to describe.

The battle in Metropolis, however, they showed so many people killed by the gravity weapon, it was jarring.

My only complaints with the movie were Kevin Costner and that horrible tornado scene.

I agree on the Tornado scene. It made no sense. Send Clark in, nothing will happen to him.

I agree on the Tornado scene. It made no sense. Send Clark in, nothing will happen to him.

I hear what you are saying. He explained it to Lois while at his dad's grave by saying his dad felt the world was not ready for him to reveal himself yet.

At the expense of losing another parent? It really made no sense. Drifting too far from the source material in my opinion. The way Clark's dad passed in the first Superman movie was chilling. This movie was laughable.

Your complains are invaid to me :whatev:

Me & Mr 9.8 loved Man of Steel :applause:

It's the first Superman movie I really enjoyed watching :)

I believe we'll see Superman more of a boy scout in future movies (which is fine with me)

That's totally cool! (thumbs u

At the expense of losing another parent? It really made no sense. Drifting too far from the source material in my opinion. The way Clark's dad passed in the first Superman movie was chilling. This movie was laughable.

I agree that it had more impact in Superman I with his father dying of a heart attack, because Superman is helpless in that situation. It shows a vulnerability in Superman that makes him a more identifiable character. In MoS his father dies to keep Clark from revealing his super powers. It doesn't seem realistic at all because his father basically commits suicide (tornadycide?) It seems like Superman is unable to make the right decision.Instead of watching his father die, he should:

1. Save someone even if they don't want to be saved.

2. Save someone even if it means self-sacrifice of some sort.

3. Never lose an opportunity to show mother nature who's boss.

Also a highway overpass is the WORST place to hide from a tornado.

I watched the movie for the first time on Blu-Ray tonight. It didn't blow me away, but I really liked it. Certainly more entertaining than Superman Returns.

Still don't like the meshy costume textures though. To many superhero costumes are doing the same thing these days.