• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel

161 posts in this topic

I kind of thought Costner's Pa Kent let himself die to take some the town's eyes off of Clark after he saved the school bus load of kids in the near past.

Seems like any suspicions of Clark being able to perform extraordinary feats would be squashed if he couldn't save his father in the storm... which appeared to have worked.

So the tornado scene worked for me ;)

xxx ooo

Rupp

The Tornado scene was terrible.

I *think* Clark would have, in that situation, disobeyed his father and rushed in and saved him. He *let* his Dad die. That will never sit right with me.

The one thing after the movie and all that Superman survived (gravity smasher, equally powered Kryptonians, tons and tons of smashy-smashy) what the heck do they bring forward as a viable threat to Superman now???

The one thing after the movie and all that Superman survived (gravity smasher, equally powered Kryptonians, tons and tons of smashy-smashy) what the heck do they bring forward as a viable threat to Superman now???

Batman.

Brainiac...(i wish)

My 2c fwiw

I'm a Marvel guy. Don't collect or follow DC nor do I care to (no offense - only have so much $$$ lol).

But this move actually made me like Superman and brought back some of that "WOW" factor I had when I saw the original Reeve Superman back in 78 (or thereabouts). Actually even more so as this was imo the best version of superman on the big screen that I have ever seen. He was real, believable (as best as god superheroes can be) and I just loved it!!

I guess since I am not a die hard SM fan, all that collateral damage did not phase me in the least (loved the battle scenes)... and the emotional trauma he clearly suffers at the end (no spoilers) is probably what put it over the top for me.

This movie blew away my expectations (especially after that horrible Superman Returns - all I remember from that is the bullet in the eye lol). I will line up for each of these new superman sequels moving forward with as much zeal as I do for my wonderful Marvel films...

Have the 3D Blu Ray in my hands now and going to watch it again and again.

I'm still in love with that movie. :luhv:

I was digging it, loving the little changes, and such...

until they started the battles in Smallville and Metropolis.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

Yes, and by the end of the movie he gains his humanity.

I see the future movies making him a bit more of a boyscout.

My only complaints with the movie were Kevin Costner and that horrible tornado scene.

I agree on the Tornado scene. It made no sense. Send Clark in, nothing will happen to him.

I hear what you are saying. He explained it to Lois while at his dad's grave by saying his dad felt the world was not ready for him to reveal himself yet.

Fly in so fast no one can see you because you are superman and you can, make it look like the tornado still took the Father. = saved.

Very lame scene.

I didn't dislike the movie, I didn't absolutely love it either.

6 out of 10 for me.

For me the stuff I liked the least were all the kryptonian fight scenes on earth. Invulnerable guy punches another invulnerable guy who flies through presumably evacuated buildings which collapse.

As someone said earlier I found all of that stuff took me out of the film and I felt like I was watching someone else play a video game of Superman fighting villains.

It is the loss of life that the viewer knows has happened even if it is not shown as we all know those "random" buildings being destroyed by the fighting are definitely not empty.

The only scene I didn't like was the tornado scene. It's silly to think Clark would just stand there and watch his step-dad perish.

Like someone said, he could have easily saved him using super-speed so no one sees him.

How does Ma Kent just let that slide and forgive Clark who let's her husband die right in front of her? (shrug)

Otherwise I loved it! :)

The only scene I didn't like was the tornado scene. It's silly to think Clark would just stand there and watch his step-dad perish.

Like someone said, he could have easily saved him using super-speed so no one sees him.

How does Ma Kent just let that slide and forgive Clark who let's her husband die right in front of her? (shrug)

Otherwise I loved it! :)

Is why the heart attack death while Clark was not immediately there is a more effective death scene for his step-Father.

It is a powerful learning experience for Clark, who realizes after the event that even with all of his wondrous gifts there is still the possibility that he can not save that life.

The tornado scene is vastly different as he clearly could have saved that life. Again it is a significant divergence from the character we readers know.

Sorry, but my God this movie sucked! How hard is it for these guys to assemble a panel of Fanboys to consult? It was all over the place. Reminds me of the awful Hulk movie and it's attempt to look like a comic. At the end, my wife turned to me and said, "WTF, why didn't he just snap Zod's neck before all of the carnage"? I couldn't argue. I was okay with Fishburne till I saw the earring. :(. And what brain dead insufficiently_thoughtful_person cast Lois? I hope they didn't get paid! Maybe next time they'll use Brainiac, or The Parasite. No Luthor!

i liked the tornado scene, part of the restraint he needed to learn, makes the end scene more powerful

Exactly. When Pa Kent told him as a kid there may come a day he may need to let someone die, what happened with the hurricane was him living by his principles. So it drove home the point for Clark even his Earth father may need to be sacrificed.

Yep just re-watched this and the Garfield Spider-Man reboot, and clearly Man of Steel was the cooler movie to re-watch. Also check out the Man of Steel Blu-ray

as it`s loaded with extras. If anybody is still on the fence,then try it out.

It was the best superhero movie of 2013!

51E5O6gmCYL.jpg

Sorry, but my God this movie sucked! How hard is it for these guys to assemble a panel of Fanboys to consult? It was all over the place. Reminds me of the awful Hulk movie and it's attempt to look like a comic. At the end, my wife turned to me and said, "WTF, why didn't he just snap Zod's neck before all of the carnage"? I couldn't argue. I was okay with Fishburne till I saw the earring. :(. And what brain dead insufficiently_thoughtful_person cast Lois? I hope they didn't get paid! Maybe next time they'll use Brainiac, or The Parasite. No Luthor!

Yeah, I'm not picking a fight, but I thought Amy Adams casting was actually kind of brilliant. Now I always found her adorable since "Catch Me if You Can", but she played her character as a rather plain Jane. She actually wasn't ready for a Superman. They could easily cast a men's magazine covergirl and enjoyed the bonus cover shoot press. But, where Amy lacked in Terri Hatcher sex-bomb appeal, she made up in tenacity, spunk and spirit and that was more appealing to me for her character. Granted, she actually literally fell into the damsel-in-distress plot conventions (TWICE!), but she was a good sport about it. My 2c

I was digging it, loving the little changes, and such...

until they started the battles in Smallville and Metropolis.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

Yes, and by the end of the movie he gains his humanity.

I see the future movies making him a bit more of a boyscout.

My only complaints with the movie were Kevin Costner and that horrible tornado scene.

I agree on the Tornado scene. It made no sense. Send Clark in, nothing will happen to him.

I hear what you are saying. He explained it to Lois while at his dad's grave by saying his dad felt the world was not ready for him to reveal himself yet.

To me the tornado scene was laughable as well, except within the context of the movie it showed how much respect he had for his parents. A soldier is supposed to follow orders to his death and this was no different. How many children would honour their parents to the same extent today? I think that scene was there to show how 'old fashioned' his values were.

As far as the fight scenes go, what were his options? I agree again that it was jarring and scary to wathc but he was being taken to town by 3 equally powerful opponents. It's not like he had any options. (shrug)

If remember it correctly, he pushed the enemy away from his mom into the gas station, so it was likely an involuntary reflex to protect his mom at all costs. Wouldn't you do the same?

Let's face it, you're getting pummeled by people who can take you and you don't have much control over what the spectators do.

I rewatched it last week and I think it was better upon second viewing. Little things came out that justified Supe's action at the end of the movie.

Yeah, I'm not picking a fight, but I thought Amy Adams casting was actually kind of brilliant. Now I always found her adorable since "Catch Me if You Can", but she played her character as a rather plain Jane. She actually wasn't ready for a Superman. They could easily cast a men's magazine covergirl and enjoyed the bonus cover shoot press. But, where Amy lacked in Terri Hatcher sex-bomb appeal, she made up in tenacity, spunk and spirit and that was more appealing to me for her character. Granted, she actually literally fell into the damsel-in-distress plot conventions (TWICE!), but she was a good sport about it. My 2c

I thought Amy Adams was brilliant in her role and filled Margot Kidder's shoes nicely. She was tough, strong, dedicated, spunky and sexy. Tough to capture a lot of nuances like that.

Or maybe I'm just an Amy Adams fan. hm

I thought Amy Adams was brilliant in her role and filled Margot Kidder's shoes nicely. She was tough, strong, dedicated, spunky and sexy. Tough to capture a lot of nuances like that.

I agree. Amy Adams did a great job and she is very easy to look at.

I agree. Amy Adams did a great job and she is very easy to look at.

+ "I'm with you fellas"

:applause: