• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel

161 posts in this topic

I have watched the DVD release some 3 or 4 times now. I rated the film a 7 in the theatre. I would rate it a 7.5 to 8.0 now. It is really a very good super hero film -- and a good science fiction film as well with the whole Krypton/Zod/World Engine sequences. Well acted, good pace, and inserting the Smallville scenes in the right places instead of chronologically really works well in interpreting the various themes of the film. As when I saw it in the movie, the partial destruction of Metropolis was excessive and should have been toned down. The soundtrack is magnificent throughout,.

I'm looking forward to Superman/Batman.

I have watched the DVD release some 3 or 4 times now. I rated the film a 7 in the theatre. I would rate it a 7.5 to 8.0 now. It is really a very good super hero film -- and a good science fiction film as well with the whole Krypton/Zod/World Engine sequences. Well acted, good pace, and inserting the Smallville scenes in the right places instead of chronologically really works well in interpreting the various themes of the film. As when I saw it in the movie, the partial destruction of Metropolis was excessive and should have been toned down. The soundtrack is magnificent throughout,.

I'm looking forward to Superman/Batman.

Amen. Good lord, I've never seen an above average to great film vilified so much.

I watched the film again two nights ago and loved it as well.

I thought the tornado scene was perfectly justified.

The ending, where it showed Pa Kent watching his little boy wearing a red blanket as a cape, brought a tear to my eye as well.

With the family dog running around in the scene it seemed to be a slight homage to the silver age Superboy and Krypto adventures. Really cool.

Love the film, and I get the point the scene was trying to make. But there was a way to do it essentially the same without making Jonathan sacrifice himself for a dog. That was the fail of that scene IMO. It easily could have been another trapped person that he went back for that was able to get away while Jonathan got trapped.

I have no problems with anything else in the film.

I think I seen the move like 6 or 7 times one thing I have noticed when watching it I get to find little details that made I miss. The last time I saw it I was able to really see the fight scene with zod at the end zod was relax when it was close combat superman.

I'm still in love with that movie. :luhv:

I was digging it, loving the little changes, and such...

until they started the battles in Smallville and Metropolis.

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

Yes, and by the end of the movie he gains his humanity.

I see the future movies making him a bit more of a boyscout.

My only complaints with the movie were Kevin Costner and that horrible tornado scene.

Exactly.

It is pretty clear he will be more careful in the future.

This was a realistic portrayal of Superman. Only took 75+ years, but someone finally turned on the lightbulb.

At the expense of losing another parent? It really made no sense. Drifting too far from the source material in my opinion. The way Clark's dad passed in the first Superman movie was chilling. This movie was laughable.

You should be kicked out of comic book collecting. :baiting:

The utter disregard for human life and destruction just struck such a different tone than any Superman I have ever known from any creator that it pulled me out of the narrative. I kept thinking "He just threw that guy through a gas station full of customers...why is he battling them with all these people around?" The he'd stop to save a single soldier, then dozens of unknown residents are dead or burning alive in one of the many fires started by that battle.

Everything struck the perfect tone in that movie, except for those fight scenes.

Pretty realistic that since the 1930's Superman couldn't have saved everyone when fighting alien monsters in city landscapes on earth.

Those fight scenes made Superman a A-list player once again.

How many people do you think really died during this battle? (shrug)

null_zpsbcbbb53f.jpg

Kinda surprised no one I have seen yet posted what is IMO the most tear jerking scene of the movie.

The flashback towards the end of the movie where little Clark is playing outside wearing a red cloth he made into a cape he makes that heroic Superman pose next to his dog.

Yea I shed a tear. Big deal. Want to fight about. :baiting:

Now I have to add that scene and the scene from Good Will Hunting and Scent of a Woman to SOT cries like a little girl movie list. :cry:

Kinda surprised no one I have seen yet posted what is IMO the most tear jerking scene of the movie.

The flashback towards the end of the movie where little Clark is playing outside wearing a red cloth he made into a cape he makes that heroic Superman pose next to his dog.

I already did (shrug)

The ending, where it showed Pa Kent watching his little boy wearing a red blanket as a cape, brought a tear to my eye as well.

With the family dog running around in the scene it seemed to be a slight homage to the silver age Superboy and Krypto adventures. Really cool.

I already did (shrug)

You didn't wave your hand over the keyboard the same way he did.

:baiting:

I already did (shrug)

You didn't wave your hand over the keyboard the same way he did.

:baiting:

That's cause when I'm on the computer both my hands are already busy. :insane:

...ewww. I just creeped myself out.

If there was one scene I had a very minor problem with (extremely minor), it was when Zod sends out the message across Earth that he wants Kal-El.

To assume Kal-El was hiding amongst the people of Earth without revealing his identity, he would have had to observe our planet for a period of time. Zod didn't come across as having the patience to observe and gather intelligence, and was more a rapid action-type leader.

But I really liked that he was offering a warning of his coming, and attempted to appeal to Kal-El's protective side in threatening his adopted planet.

And as has been pointed out already, the soundtrack throughout really was well done, and fit the scenes.

:applause:

Now I have to add that scene and the scene from Good Will Hunting and Scent of a Woman to SOT cries like a little girl movie list. :cry:

I found those scenes very moving myself.

I tend to only cry during animal movies (Turner & Hooch, Marley & Me, K-9 ( :eyeroll: ) and Homeward Bound). I guess if Krypto checks out in a sequel, I'll be blubbering away.

Pretty realistic that since the 1930's Superman couldn't have saved everyone when fighting alien monsters in city landscapes on earth.

Those fight scenes made Superman a A-list player once again.

How many people do you think really died during this battle? (shrug)

null_zpsbcbbb53f.jpg

I enjoyed the movie, parts just felt wrong. It's way better or more "right" than the last couple of attempts at Superman.

However, if you are trying to defend Man of Steel's story and the example from comics you choose is the same era that gave you THESE "Supermen":

4zz5d.jpg

You're not helping your case. lol

Those comics are not what I think of when I think of the BEST of Superman.