• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 2-4, 2014

127 posts in this topic

They just posted a 10% discount for next years tix if you buy this week. Trying to cram more sales into this year.

Interestingly they note that the Austin show is thurs-sat!! I just assumed it was a fri-sun show.

Never heard of a 3 day show that wasn't fri-sun. Weird.

Well, it looks like CGC won't be attending this show, as it is not on their 2014 events calendar. This is really unfortunate, as it is always nice to work directly with the CGC booth for SS at this show. Maybe the awkward dates have something to do with this decision, as it looks like they are attending every other Wizard show (or seemingly every one).

5 months away! :applause:

Steve Skroce has been added to the Austin lineup, which pretty much removes my main reason to go to the San Antonio show. Thanks for saving me that trip Wizard!

Well, it looks like CGC won't be attending this show, as it is not on their 2014 events calendar. This is really unfortunate, as it is always nice to work directly with the CGC booth for SS at this show. Maybe the awkward dates have something to do with this decision, as it looks like they are attending every other Wizard show (or seemingly every one).

I just re-checked the events calendar, and CGC now has WW Austin listed as an event they'll be attending. This is great news for those hunting SS! :headbang:

5 months away! :applause:

Steve Skroce has been added to the Austin lineup, which pretty much removes my main reason to go to the San Antonio show. Thanks for saving me that trip Wizard!

And now he's gone from both the San Antonio and Austin guest lists. :cry:

The 2015 show will be over Halloween weekend again, and will stay a Thursday to Saturday show (Oct. 29-31). It's also back to being the last on Wizard's calendar for the year.

So they are wrapping early next year? I want to say the show was usually around thanksgiving until this year wasn't it?

They don't seem to be doing anything to justify a longer show this year. I think they are going primarily for single day sales rather than a 3 day show.

The 2015 show will be over Halloween weekend again, and will stay a Thursday to Saturday show (Oct. 29-31). It's also back to being the last on Wizard's calendar for the year.

So they are wrapping early next year? I want to say the show was usually around thanksgiving until this year wasn't it?

They don't seem to be doing anything to justify a longer show this year. I think they are going primarily for single day sales rather than a 3 day show.

Last year's show was unusually late. Prior to that it had been in October, and based on that small sample size a return to Halloween weekend gets it back to its usual time roughly. The weather for last year's show was HORRIBLE, with a sheet of ice on the road for half our trip down, so I'm not sad they moved it back to October.

I am a little worried about this show from a dealer perspective. It's the same weekend as ACL Fest. I was at both Capital City and Eckman's this weekend and couldn't find a single dealer who was going or knew anybody going.

It sounds like Alamo City is going to be the show to be at for the fall.

The Wizard San Antonio show may be a better option if you are a wizard fan.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I've long been concerned that the odd Thursday-Saturday schedule would really hurt this show. I'll have to PM the folks I usually spend all my money with to see if they're coming. That's a long way to drive to be disappointed.

I am a little worried about this show from a dealer perspective. It's the same weekend as ACL Fest. I was at both Capital City and Eckman's this weekend and couldn't find a single dealer who was going or knew anybody going.

That's going to kill it. The only ones who can go will be the ones who already live in the area. No one from out of town is going to be able to get a hotel for this.

I honestly think Thursday will be really slow, and Fridays are always so-so.

I'm also going to ACL both weekends so I'll be limited on time at the Con.

And do you know what's worse? Next year's dates might clash with the Formula 1 dates, and that event is much bigger than ACL. Hotel rates go for $500 per night (and I'm talking about cheap hotels that are usually $100 per night)...

That's going to kill it. The only ones who can go will be the ones who already live in the area. No one from out of town is going to be able to get a hotel for this.

I reserved my room for the 2014 show the week after the 2013 show and had to go with my third choice for hotels even then. A Thursday-Sunday schedule is bad enough, but one with no hotel space will be deadly. We're already thinking that this show is off our travel schedule, which really sucks because the 2010-2013 shows were really great shows. Hopefully the move back to Halloween weekend for 2015 will free them from any major conflicts with stuff like ACL and get the show back to its previous glory as one of my favorites of the year...