• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 2-4, 2014

127 posts in this topic

What burns me is listening to people at WW Austin and Capitol City CC talking about how good the shows are....ARGHHHH!! :frustrated: Go to a real CON people and see the:censored: difference

^^^^ This....

Wizard World Austin was probably the slowest show for Vendors and artists that I have seen in a long time. Even the hotel shows I have gone to over the past year seemed to have more excitement and better sales.

Day 1 was dead... like we don't care if you are VIP, General Admission, or the guy off the street without a ticket please come inside dead.

th_AE21324D-C2F4-40F9-A2F3-F0F299F2D6CA_zpsjl6sqrmq.jpgth_8680378A-91F9-4B09-949C-B1F09FC3AE66_zps2wsg9hgn.jpgth_2C1228AC-31FB-4BBC-9604-ECE495D3A51E_zpswzyyq3bd.jpgth_A672900F-2C86-4375-ACE3-AACB68810FA8_zpsmskov8qt.jpgth_B254A9BC-31C0-450B-96E7-6EA495A67625_zpsvm2qwwd3.jpg

The photos weren't taken at 1 before the show, the ones outside were taken at 4:30 - 5:00 on Thursday simply to show an artist what it looked like and why the mad rush of 1st day onlookers weren't madly rushing in.

The artists I commissioned at the show looked more relieved when I asked for commissions than anything else and even went above what they normally do. The comic sellers there I hope did well due to the lack of competition and even noticed Austin Books and Comics, the big seller in Austin, seemed to just phone this one in...

Just seemed like the little show that couldn't and have to say that numbers here were probably far worse than Wizard World San Antonio and even that one was weak. Canceled guests, ACL, College football, all probably led to the demise of this one. I have to say though as a buyer it was probably a great show to bring kids and family to if you wanted. Lot's of space for my son and daughter to play tag on Friday inside while talking to artists, and had no fear of them bumping into people nor losing them in the crowd.

Personally this show rocked being before NYCC as it gave me a little rest from being on my feet and gave me some time to network with artists. Biggest complaint I heard, the Thursday and Friday beginning not being connected to a holiday meant two premiere nights with flailing crowds willing to buy anything, and then Saturday becoming a Sunday for most who were packing up much earlier than normal when many are usually cranking out commissions and what not.

At least the odd ended times allowed me to hit up ACL earlier than anticipated. Now that was an awesome time.

You know it was a great show when the best things you can say about it were that you had easy access to bored artists, there was nobody on the floor for your kids to bump into, and you got to leave early to attend another event. :headbang:

This show was clearly a joke compared to the crowds and excellent dealer selection of years past (particularly 2-4 years ago). It shouldn't be hard to get people/dealers excited to come to Austin provided the scheduling is good.

Yep, it's funny a year ago I ensured I came home from Afghanistan just for this show with a great line-up which I had a hard time being able to have funds for everything. I got sketches from EBAS and his entire crew. Saw Greg Land, Mark Bagley, Greg Capullo and even Stan Lee. Celebs and Artists were well balanced and sketch commissions were done not just for others but for me.

This show, I spent $20 on two POP! Transformers and one $10 Transformer toy for my son, $25 for three hotdogs, a coke, and a bag of chips, and then $10 for some charm bracelet for my daughter and $8 on parking. Everything else was for others and I have to say it didn't put me down at all. I think Greg Horn was the only booth that looked like it was busy everyday, but as I think someone at the show mentioned, this really was a Flea Market show. More booths for Statefarm insurance, Swords and Leather pouches, and random than anything remotely close to Pop Culture or Comics. Went for one book with a hope to be able to have it for NYCC and failed miserably for it.

I just don't know how something like this could have been successful outside of Undertaker. He was probably the only saving grace for anyone on Friday but even then everyone was stuck in line for it.