• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Austin -- October 2-4, 2014

127 posts in this topic

Anyone taking subs for this show?

I'm actually in Austin for a work convention, and the hotel I'm staying in is 3x the amount in October. With having to board both dogs, I probably can't come myself.

Taking the 2 hour drive for this one...should be an awesome weekend thanks to ACL. Friday will be at the Con then head down to Jenny Lewis at Stubbs, same thing on Saturday but going to Temples after the Con, and finishing off Sunday going to Interpol at Stubbs.

I'm not going to be able to make it. I had a hotel reservation for Thursday and Friday nights, but if I went I was only going to be able to go Saturday. They wouldn't let me change the hotel reservation, and even if they did it had gone up about $100 a night between the time I booked it last November and now. Screw that. I cancelled the reservation and will miss this show for the first time in 4 years.

For next year I'm just going to make an XL hotel reservation to cover all possibilities and cancel days I don't need. This hotel issue was the final nail in my coffin for any thoughts of attending...

I'm contemplating going to this…I haven't been to a con in years and I live in Austin so I don't have to worry about the hotel situations.

Plus I'm currently in possession of Kraven and could bring him to the con!

More info on that here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7842171#Post7842171

Anyone interested in doing a meet up?

I might be -- still debating on whether I'll go or not. All things being equal I'll go, but we have some family things planned that may prevent it this year. I'm probably 50/50 for Thurs, 60% for Fri and 70% for Saturday afternoon.

I'm going to try and take the train since ACL is also that weekend. drops right in front of the convention center.

That's not a bad idea...I don't live downtown anymore and driving from Lakeline Mall and parking down there will be a *spoon!

I can walk to the train stop here and ride it all the way down!

Since Evan Peters cancelled and I only bought another op (Undertaker) I will ask for a refund and skip this show. Better yet, ACL announced their autograph lineup and Foster the People are signing autographs on Friday, so I'll probably be at the tent the whole day. See you at Fan Days

Wow double checked the list of names with orders today and... Wow so far the following have cancelled...

Evan Peters, Matt Smith, Eric Roberts, Morena Baccarin, Alfonso Ribeiro, Grant Wilson, Karen Gillan, Nichelle Nichols & Stephen Amell canceled due to filming, Bob Layton canceled due to personal reasons.

I have never actually lost over half my orders for one show before... I think I will be hitting up ACL a little more than I thought.

Wow double checked the list of names with orders today and... Wow so far the following have cancelled...

Evan Peters, Matt Smith, Eric Roberts, Morena Baccarin, Alfonso Ribeiro, Grant Wilson, Karen Gillan, Nichelle Nichols & Stephen Amell canceled due to filming, Bob Layton canceled due to personal reasons.

I have never actually lost over half my orders for one show before... I think I will be hitting up ACL a little more than I thought.

:eek: That's going to just crush this show. At least they were able to add those Internet kids. :facepalm:

What's with Music Scene at Comic Con?

Is the Austin Show still better than the Dallas show?

Austin City Limits Music festival is a HUGE 3 day music show. You can check out the Line-up here. Just to many big names to even start typing out.

I think Wizard saw this show, said oh *spoon* and decided not to really compete. I see the Undertaker being at this show more than at the Convention.

What's with Music Scene at Comic Con?

Is the Austin Show still better than the Dallas show?

Austin City Limits Music festival is a HUGE 3 day music show. You can check out the Line-up here. Just to many big names to even start typing out.

I think Wizard saw this show, said oh *spoon* and decided not to really compete. I see the Undertaker being at this show more than at the Convention.

Is ACL roughly the same time every year? I'm hoping that this won't be an issue next year, though with that goofy Thur-Sat schedule again I may end up sitting it out anyway.

ACL has bounced around a bit as they looked for the right weather but now that it is 2 weekends I think they have likely settled on first two weekends in oct.

Oct is a bad month to compete in Austin. I think there is something high profile every year almost every weekend.

Fantastic fest just finished too. Honestly I think their old spot between Halloween and Thanksgiving was the best spot relative to other cons and Austin calendar which is event heavy feb-May and sept-oct.

ACL has bounced around a bit as they looked for the right weather but now that it is 2 weekends I think they have likely settled on first two weekends in oct.

Oct is a bad month to compete in Austin. I think there is something high profile every year almost every weekend.

Fantastic fest just finished too. Honestly I think their old spot between Halloween and Thanksgiving was the best spot relative to other cons and Austin calendar which is event heavy feb-May and sept-oct.

They're back to Halloween weekend next year, so I guess we will see...

Good news is that maybe we'll see a fri or sat groupon this year. With all the cancellations people are going to be upset at $80 for 3 days.

Also here's a tip: last year they split badge pickup by the venue you bought from. The regular attendee from wizard and the groupon lines were insane but the amazon and living social lines were basically non existent. I blew past about 300 people and walked straight in.