• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men Legends

42 posts in this topic

I enjoyed the game a lot. First off, theirs tons of characters, so there's a lot of different ways to play the game, though in some areas I think you need to be pretty much have a certian combination going to succeed.

It is a pretty hard game to, you can't just walk over enemies, you'll often get stuck in huge mobs and lose characters, until you figure out a magic team that will vanquish all who oppose them.

One of the odd things about lots of character choices is how powers cross-over and then seem useless. Wolverine, Iceman, Cyclops, and Storm, and to a lesser extent Magma and Rogue (as far as I'm concerned are in an entirely different league than the rest of the characters), they are more powerful and useful than everyone else (aside for the astral plane levels in which the mind powers bunch are the powerhouses). Some characters seem to be redundant, why take Beast if you can have Colossus, or better yet, Rogue. Why take Jubilee when you can take Gambit?

Nightcrawler can seem useless, but I like to use him for his Leap of Faith ability in which he teleports other characters out of danger.

Sometimes you need certian characters like cyclops or storm to make welds, jean grey to move objects, and Iceman to create bridges, but the vast majority of the time it's your choice.

The enemies are fun, the bosses are cool, trashing sentinels is cool, the X-Mansion is fun for a while, It's a good bet overall. thumbsup2.gif

Sweet, 500!!

Thanks for the review! I have a gift certificate to Target that I've had burning a hole in my wallet for a loooooong time now... I think it is time I relieve myself of its burden.

Which platform did you play it on? (I'm probably going to get the Gamecube version just because I love my wireless controllers. 27_laughing.gif )

I think it is time I relieve myself ...

Methinks you should reconsider and pick up some Depends at Tar-jet as well....

I knew ONE of you would jump all over that... I just didn't know WHICH one.

Granted, the day is young. I'm sure the REST of your merry band of Shrektards™ will be by to make an appearance!

frustrated.gifinsane.gif

Granted, the day is young. I'm sure the REST of your merry band of Shrektards™ will be by to make an appearance!

frustrated.gifinsane.gif

acclaim.gif

hi.gif

flowerred.gif

Well, Living Dead "Pov" is MIA or not awake yet? And Greggy - probably at the sushi place for lunch, rubbing himslef down with fish skins and sticky rice wink.gif

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif

I just hope that no rambunctious kids went and exposed Pov's coffin to direct sunlight again... honestly, if I have to call that voodoo priestess ONE more time this year...

As for Greggy... I'm not sure there's enough bleach in the world to cleanse my mind of that imagery. Thanks fer nothin! tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

frustrated.gifinsane.gif

acclaim.gif

hi.gif

frustrated.gifscrewy.gif

Thanks for the review! I have a gift certificate to Target that I've had burning a hole in my wallet for a loooooong time now... I think it is time I relieve myself of its burden.

gossip.gif New Grand Theft Auto game comes out next week. Ya gotta have a manly PS2 to play it, though, not one of those wimpy Gamecubes. poke2.gif

Alan grin.gif

I'm finding the RPG elements of it to be a bit distracting to the flow of the game. Since every character in your group levels-up separately, you have to keep stopping the action for 20-40 seconds to allocate points to whichever abilities you want to boost once a level-up occurs. I'm also not a big fan of the almost directly-overhead angle; I much prefer seeing superheroes at a 45-degree, 30-degree, or 0-degree side angle so you can see their details more.

However, I'm not sorry I bought it...it's kinda fun and the cutscenes ROCK. I just didn't get addicted to it like I thought I would and like I did to Spider-Man 2.

Sweet, 500!!

Which platform did you play it on? (I'm probably going to get the Gamecube version just because I love my wireless controllers. 27_laughing.gif )

Gamecube blows [!@#%^&^]. Get an Xbox, get it chipped, slap in a 120 Gig hd and then just rent games and copy them. That is what I do. The inital investment suchs, have to dish out $500 CA$ for the Xbox, chip and hard drive, but I haven't purchased a game yet. I just go out and rent games for $5 and copy them. Thank God I didn't buy that Fable game and just rent it. Ended up finishing it in less than 10 hours. What a lame [!@#%^&^] game. So much hype and then it falls flat on its [!@#%^&^]. I was thinking about getting X-men Legends but I don't know. Too much Hype for the game on tv, makes me think it is a dud. Might just give in though...maybe

I'm finding the RPG elements of it to be a bit distracting to the flow of the game. Since every character in your group levels-up separately, you have to keep stopping the action for 20-40 seconds to allocate points to whichever abilities you want to boost once a level-up occurs. I'm also not a big fan of the almost directly-overhead angle; I much prefer seeing superheroes at a 45-degree, 30-degree, or 0-degree side angle so you can see their details more.

However, I'm not sorry I bought it...it's kinda fun and the cutscenes ROCK. I just didn't get addicted to it like I thought I would and like I did to Spider-Man 2.

I agree to some extent (I picked up the game this afternoon and have lost the last six hours of my life playing it)... it's distracting, but it's also really fun to watch your characters develop and become more powerful. It gives it a more "open-ended" feel, even if that isn't the case.

I don't know, I'm just glad to finally play an X-game where the characters actually DO stuff the X-Men do. I mean, does anyone remember the original X-Men video game for the NES??? :::shudder:::

Oh, and for the record: I love this game! 893applaud-thumb.gif

gossip.gif New Grand Theft Auto game comes out next week. Ya gotta have a manly PS2 to play it, though, not one of those wimpy Gamecubes. poke2.gif

Alan grin.gif

I've got a PS2, too! And you'd better believe that new GTA will be the next game I purchase!! 893applaud-thumb.gif But I must say, my love for my Gamecube is a special, undying one, where my love for my PS2... well, let me just say that I WOULD kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif

Alan grin.gif

I've got a PS2, too! And you'd better believe that new GTA will be the next game I purchase!! 893applaud-thumb.gif But I must say, my love for my Gamecube is a special, undying one, where my love for my PS2... well, let me just say that I WOULD kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif

Eh, just wait 'til you start law school. You think you'll miss video games? Try missing television for three years! 27_laughing.gif

Ok, so after saying I wouldn't buy a PS2 just to play X-Men Legends, my wife bought me one for Christmas.

It came with a memory card, 2nd controller and three games. Madden 2005, NBA 2005 and Spider-Man 2. Of course I'll be buying X-Men Legends this weekend.

SM 2 was fun for about three hours then it got old. The Football game seems way more complicated then it's worth so I'll probably never play it and I care nothing about basketball and probably wont even open it.

Any of you guys have tips for playing Legends? Anything I should know before I start like strategy, etc..?

BTW, I read 500's post in this thread and that was informative!

If you like football, go out and grab NFL 2K5. The consensus is that its better than Madden, and its certainly far cheaper. Should be able to get it everywhere for $20. Its the best football game I've ever played, and the fact that there will be no football games EXCEPT Madden for the next 5 years likely means I'll only play 2K5 until 2010 =)

And I didn't care for Legends. Played it once, was not impressed. Will give it a try again soon I'm sure.