• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keeping Records of Your Comic Books

38 posts in this topic

I was wondering what type of record keeping do people on these boards keep of their comic book collections.

Personally, I've created 2 separate spreadsheets, one for my CGC graded books (350) and the other for the raw ones (over 3,000). For the CGC graded books, I list the issue number, print, volume, whether it's restored or not, month, year, company name, the CGC grade associated with it (VF+, 8.5), the serial number, amount paid for the book (including shipping and CGC grading), the 2003 and 2004 Overstreet value for that grade (for record keeping and comparison purposes, I multiply my 9.4's x 1.25, my 9.6's x 2, and my 9.8's x 3 times the 9.2 grade), page type (ow-w, etc.), comments (pedigree, signature series, etc.), CGC rank, best CGC grade for that book, total books graded by CGC (I typically update this section once a year). I've also added a column for the GPAnalysis value, but have not entered the numbers in yet.

At the bottom of the table I have the total books, average year, average grade, total amount paid, total worth, number of books I have from each company, number of books from each decade and year, and the number of books for each CGC grade shown.

I've also attached another spreadsheet for the CGC books I've sold with the same information listed.

I've only mananged to enter about 800 of my raw collection into a separate spreadsheet thus far. I had graded most of my books on the NM, VF, FN, etc. scale, but have gone back and used the 10.0 system for most of the books worth above $5.

I also have a record all of my transactions stored on my network at work and at home. I need to print everything out so I can place them in a 3-ring binder (for auditing purposes).

Since I've always been fond of comic books, and have always been a math freak, I find this stuff enjoyable. I'm sorry for my rant, but was wondering how everyone else keeps track of their comic books (maybe I can add stuff to my list). thumbsup2.gif

I use the Comicspriceguide.com database. It allows me to keep tabs on what I have, grades, and little notes such as how much I paid for it. The prices on CPG's site are not something that i out a lot of faith in, but it is nice for insurance purposes. It also has checklist features like:

Complete checklist of have and dont haves

Checklist for haves

Checklist for dont haves.

I like it, and they have a decent message board as well. Prices are reasonable.

A cool topic of discussion!

I use a simple excel spreadsheet. Nowhere near as complex as yours but complex enough to calculate current market potential based on the grade I enter for the book and guide value. I say market potential because some books never seem to sell at guide and some books always sell way over guide - its just difficult for me to tell an exact value. I never really hang my hat on the value anyway, I'm just happy to have some nice books.

I also take a high quality scan of my books, front and back covers. I've build my own local 'website' (sorry its not public) that displays thumbnail images of the covers. Next to the thumbnail are grading notes and a grade for the book. Clicking on a thumbnail image will give a nice large closup of the book. I found this really rewarding because it lets me peruse my collection without constantly digging in the back closet to see what lurks in the boxes.

D

we are twins!

but he can grade poke2.gif

seriously though, that's an impressive amount of data that you two keep. is it a purchased spreadsheet of your own homemade version??

i used to just keep an account of the actual books - my grade (that was pure BS back then) - and the approx OS value. (the latter two were pretty meaningless, as it turns out). i need to "get-with-it".......... tongue.gif

I, too, use Excel. One spreadsheet for BA horror and one for Pre-code. Both very simple. Isuue, Number, Grade, Price, Purchased From and Notes. I don't keep running totals of Overstreet (I used to in the old days and used formulas to calculate the in-between prices like G/VG and F/VF.)

But now, I pretty much know the values of the books and at this point have no need to track market values.

Of course, a year or two down the road I might decide to and start kicking myself I didn't input sooner!

I've only mananged to enter about 800 of my raw collection into a separate spreadsheet thus far. I had graded most of my books on the NM, VF, FN, etc. scale, but have gone back and used the 10.0 system for most of the books worth above $5.

I also have my raw books in an Excel spreadsheet and would like to convert to the 10.0 system but there's over 8,000 books. tongue.gif I also have a column for Key which just gets a checkmark if applicable.

I just bought ComicBase 9.0. I haven't had time to figure out how to use it yet though. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've been using ComicBase since V 7.0, and recently upgraded to 9.0

It's great and easy to use. Be sure to take advantage of the customizable fields and customizable check boxes. I use the customizable fields to input Pedigrees, slabs, slab serial #s, and date and place of purchase.

cloud9.gifyay.gif

I just bought ComicBase 9.0. I haven't had time to figure out how to use it yet though. confused-smiley-013.gif

FFB are you using the DVD-ROM Archive edition???(installed it on my friend computer,you'll

like if it is!!).

Yep.

I saw that at BCE? and wondered if it was worth the $$ and if it was easy it use.

I am tired of my clusterf.. of a collection and not knowing what I own boo.gif

I saw that at BCE? and wondered if it was worth the $$ and if it was easy it use.

I bought it from BCE. I'll spend some time with it this weekend and let you know how user friendly it is. thumbsup2.gif

FFB are you using the DVD-ROM Archive edition???(installed it on my friend computer,you'll

like if it is!!).

Yep.

GOOD CALL thumbsup2.gifyay.gif

The simple answer is YES. more imfo at www.comicbase.com

PS: Comic Base 9 Standar Edition requiers Windows 95 or later, at least 32 MB RAM, and 300

MB free hard space .

Comic Base 9 Archive Edition requiers Windows 95 or later, a DVD-ROM drive, at least 32 MB

RAM, and 400 MB free disk space.

Although the Macintosh version of Comic Base is no longer available, Comic base 9 does work with Microsoft's Virtual PC under Mac OS 9 orX.

I use a software called ComicCollector, which provides fast ways of entering the data about your comics (adding multiple comics from the same run, for example).

It has some pre-existing fields, and some user-defined ones as well.

And it can export the data to Excel spreadsheets fast and easily thumbsup2.gif

I personnaly don't use many fields. Just Grade/Purchase price/Seller/CGC or Raw/Pages Quality (and of course Title/Issue).

I'd love to enter the value of each book, but I lack the courage when I consider this is something that should be done again almost once a year foreheadslap.gif