• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keeping Records of Your Comic Books

38 posts in this topic

but he can grade poke2.gif

flamed.gif

but it is an excel worksheet that I customize; I have a few - comic sales, comic purchases, variant checklist and prices, inventory, consigned inventory, etc...

I've taken a few ideas on here and incorporated into my collecting:

inventory by longbox (instead of sorting by alpha), exporting lists to Access to name a couple

I've only mananged to enter about 800 of my raw collection into a separate spreadsheet thus far. I had graded most of my books on the NM, VF, FN, etc. scale, but have gone back and used the 10.0 system for most of the books worth above $5.

I also have my raw books in an Excel spreadsheet and would like to convert to the 10.0 system but there's over 8,000 books. tongue.gif I also have a column for Key which just gets a checkmark if applicable.

use the replace all function (ie, replace all "vf" with 8.0, "nm" with 9.4 etc... confused-smiley-013.gif

I use a software called ComicCollector, which provides fast ways of entering the data about your comics (adding multiple comics from the same run, for example).

ComicCollector was one of the first commercial programs and I used it back in the mid 90s. It was great at the time. thumbsup2.gif Unfortunately, AbleSoft stopped making it and made it impossible to update the price database.

Be aware that ComicBase has a ComicCollector import utility. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. It imported about 95% of my data with no glitches. The rest I manually corrected which was no big deal.

Obviously, I highly recommend ComicCollector. Because I had a previous version, the upgrade to 9.0 only cost me $60. yay.gif

I use a Microsoft Access database with about a dozen tables and a report I print to take to conventions that's ergonomically designed to fit on as few sheets of paper as is possible. I've also got a web site which dynamically displays key parts of my inventory along with thumbnail and full-size scans. Here are the fields I store for my main table containing information about a specific comic copy:

CopiesSchema.jpg

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use a software called ComicCollector, which provides fast ways of entering the data about your comics (adding multiple comics from the same run, for example).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ComicCollector was one of the first commercial programs and I used it back in the mid 90s. It was great at the time. Unfortunately, AbleSoft stopped making it and made it impossible to update the price database.

Be aware that ComicBase has a ComicCollector import utility. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. It imported about 95% of my data with no glitches. The rest I manually corrected which was no big deal.

Obviously, I highly recommend ComicCollector. Because I had a previous version, the upgrade to 9.0 only cost me $60.

This is the same one I use. Its still great. Especially if you want to bring up something fast. Like which comics did Doctor Doom appear in. Or bring up your favorite artists books. It brings up the info fast. But since ABLESOFT quit the updates I only add in by myself only what books I have in my collection. And over the years I've took off a bunch of info that had nothing to do with my collection. But its still a very good program. Great for inventory.

One of my motivations for doing this was for insurance purposes. I needed an estimate to help figure out where my home insurance coverage should be. Plus it probably wouldn't hurt to have those scans lying around to prove I had the books.

Most home insurance won't cover collectibles beyond a very limited amount. You may think it does, but there is often an exclusion or limitation that places a cap on such losses in the amount of $2,500, even if you have $100,000 or more in personal property coverage. You should check your policy.

www.collectinsure.com provides inexpensive and hassle-free coverage that is especially designed to protect comics and other collectibles, and the claims process is really easy. It also provides coverage for damage to comics that you are receiving or sending in the mail. 893applaud-thumb.gif

And no, I don't work for collectinsure.com. tongue.gif

I've only mananged to enter about 800 of my raw collection into a separate spreadsheet thus far. I had graded most of my books on the NM, VF, FN, etc. scale, but have gone back and used the 10.0 system for most of the books worth above $5.

I also have my raw books in an Excel spreadsheet and would like to convert to the 10.0 system but there's over 8,000 books. tongue.gif I also have a column for Key which just gets a checkmark if applicable.

use the replace all function (ie, replace all "vf" with 8.0, "nm" with 9.4 etc... confused-smiley-013.gif

Beware of Replace All. If you have VF/NM or VF-NM etc it can cause problems. Start with the comound grades, such as replacing VF/NM. When the compund grades are done then go for any minus grades, like NM-. That way only "whole grades" will be left for the finishing rounds.

You should make a copy of the column(s) with the grades and do the Replace All on the copy, keeping your original data intact. Then you can do some spot checking to verify things.

You can also use the VLookup Function. It is easy to use, although a bot ntimidating if you haven't used it before. Make a table with all of the alpha grades you use in one column. In the next column put the numberic grades. Then use Vlookup to compare the Alpha grades you have assigned to the table. This will yield the numeric equivelant. Then copy the results and use Paste Special and select VALUES to paste the return of the function to a new column or to overwrite the present alpha data.

Nice thing about this is you could also retain your Alpha grades and just make new column to paste the Numerics. Also, it doesn't modify your existing data in case of a mistake.

If you need some specifics feel free to reply or PM me. I can give you the formula and more exact details (there are little things like including the word FALSE in the formula, making sure the lookup dat is sorted and also using absolute references when copying the formula down a column.

I use Excel to catalog my collection, and have three different spreadsheets - one for Silver/Bronze one for Moderns, and a dedicated list for my Fantastic Four run. My Silver/Bronze and FF lists have issue numbers, price paid, dealer and grade - each in individual cells. I also have fields for additional remarks and OS values, as well as comics needed. I plan to start adding purchase dates to the data I maintain for these books.

The spreadsheet for Moderns simply lists the issue number (or continuous ranges) within a single cell for each title along with a cell that I update for the quantity of books for each respective title.

Beware of Replace All. If you have VF/NM or VF-NM etc it can cause problems. Start with the comound grades, such as replacing VF/NM. When the compund grades are done then go for any minus grades, like NM-. That way only "whole grades" will be left for the finishing rounds.

You should make a copy of the column(s) with the grades and do the Replace All on the copy, keeping your original data intact. Then you can do some spot checking to verify things.

You can also use the VLookup Function. It is easy to use, although a bot ntimidating if you haven't used it before. Make a table with all of the alpha grades you use in one column. In the next column put the numberic grades. Then use Vlookup to compare the Alpha grades you have assigned to the table. This will yield the numeric equivelant. Then copy the results and use Paste Special and select VALUES to paste the return of the function to a new column or to overwrite the present alpha data.

Nice thing about this is you could also retain your Alpha grades and just make new column to paste the Numerics. Also, it doesn't modify your existing data in case of a mistake.

If you need some specifics feel free to reply or PM me. I can give you the formula and more exact details (there are little things like including the word FALSE in the formula, making sure the lookup dat is sorted and also using absolute references when copying the formula down a column.

Appreciate the suggestions but what really makes it a daunting task is that I started my comic list over ten years ago using the grade definitions of only G, VG, F, VF and NM. To correctly assign the numeric grades I would have to go through the books as what I marked as NM could be anywhere from 9.0 to 9.8 and so on.

Appreciate the suggestions but what really makes it a daunting task is that I started my comic list over ten years ago using the grade definitions of only G, VG, F, VF and NM. To correctly assign the numeric grades I would have to go through the books as what I marked as NM could be anywhere from 9.0 to 9.8 and so on.

Start out with that then. Convert NM to 9.4, VF to 7.5 or 8.0, etc. Then as you slowly work your way back through your books, adjust your grades. That's what I've been doing anyway. As I go back through my collection I'm always tweaking a grade. Funny. Most of my books end up going down a bit each time I do this....

Anyone else notice this weird phenomenon? grin.gif

It is also important to know what multiple of guide you paid for a book so if you decide to sell it years down the road you can extrapolate your asking price. It also helps to determine value even if you are not selling...portfolio value.

West

Start out with that then. Convert NM to 9.4, VF to 7.5 or 8.0, etc. Then as you slowly work your way back through your books, adjust your grades. That's what I've been doing anyway. As I go back through my collection I'm always tweaking a grade. Funny. Most of my books end up going down a bit each time I do this....

Anyone else notice this weird phenomenon? grin.gif

Since I've sent over 150 books to be CGC graded from MA to GA, and between 3.0 and 9.8, I've lowered my grading standards considerably to fit theirs. What I used to grade as VF is now a FN+, and what I used to grade as NM is now VF+. However, what I graded as G is now G/VG (go figure). What bothers me the most is that 2 years ago I spent about a month of my free time grading my 3,000 raw books, changing the mylars and boards, and placing a NM, VF, etc. label on them. A month later I started purchasing CGC books off of Ebay and switched to the 10.0 system foreheadslap.gif. I probably won't re-grade the majority of these books until or if I decide to sell them.

I'm the type of person that becomes very excited while grading the first 200 books, but towards the end it becomes a really daunting chore (even if I take a couple of days break). Since all my books are in alphabetical order, I'm sure the grades I assigned to the X-Men books (2800-2950 ???) are bogus. tonofbricks.gif

What bothers me the most is that 2 years ago I spent about a month of my free time grading my 3,000 raw books, changing the mylars and boards, and placing a NM, VF, etc. label on them. A month later I started purchasing CGC books off of Ebay and switched to the 10.0 system foreheadslap.gif. I probably won't re-grade the majority of these books until or if I decide to sell them.

I'm the type of person that becomes very excited while grading the first 200 books, but towards the end it becomes a really daunting chore (even if I take a couple of days break). Since all my books are in alphabetical order, I'm sure the grades I assigned to the X-Men books (2800-2950 ???) are bogus. tonofbricks.gif

I know what you mean, I'm not looking forward to regrading 8,000+ comics just to use the 10 point system, but who knows maybe one box at a time? Most likely I will wind up using the G, VG, F, VF & NM grading as a "general" grade and only convert to the 10 point system when slabbing or selling those particular issues.