• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore on todays Superheros

60 posts in this topic

“These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. "

How does he know this when he actively admits to not ready any super hero comics since he wrote The Watchmen.

bah any time he talks I will listen :) even if I don't agree with him all the time.

He's a very interesting person that writes very interesting stories.

FWIW I kind of agree with him on this one - superhero comics stopped being interesting, at least to me, quite some time ago.

That being said, I can be tired of reading the comics and still enjoy the movie, and I don't think he's allowing for that in his statement.

“These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. "

How does he know this when he actively admits to not ready any super hero comics since he wrote The Watchmen.

^^

(thumbs u

I just dont understand, It sure seems like Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta and Killing Joke were aimed at an older audience, but hey thats just my opinion.

From Hell and V weren't superhero books.

Watchmen was a deconstruction of Super Heroes.

Killing Joke, although violent, was extremely powerful to everyone including kids in that age range reading it at the time. I know it was for me.

He should read the Adventure Time, My Little Pony and Sponge Bob comics -- my kids love those.

But I guess 30-, 40- and 50-year old men do too... :insane:

Says he did the interview to pimp Fashion Beast, a "redefined Beauty and the Beast" written back around the Watchmen timeframe.

Trashing superheroes for adults because at the moment he's selling fairy tales for adults. Go figure.

Probably wrote Fashion Beast while digging Ron Perlman's Beast on TV back in the late 80's.