• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Age Are We In Again??

109 posts in this topic

Wizard Magazine lasted for 20 years.

:shrug:

I am a VALIANT fan, so I won't argue there because I might be biased.

-slym

Not only that, but Wizard is STILL having a huge impact on the hobby with something approaching 20 huge conventions around the country every year. I still attend WW Chicago, that's my "See old buddies, and drink a bit too much" show of the year.

I was just having a conversation about comic books eras. This is the current era definitions according to CGC :

Atom Age. The period recognized by the industry as being between 1946, after the dropping of the Atomic bomb, and continuing until the start of the Silver Age, in 1956.

Golden Age. CGC Registry term for a period of comic book publishing that ran from Action Comics #1 (June 1938) through 1959.

Silver Age.* CGC Registry term for comics published 1960 through 1969.

Bronze Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1970 through 1979.

Copper Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1980 through 1989.

Modern Age. CGC Registry term for comics published 1990 through the present.

Okay...

So in another six years (or so), the term "Modern" will cover three decades of books.

The Questions hm

(1) If you named the era from 1990 through 1999, what would you name it?

(2) If you named the era from 2000 through 2009, what would you name it?

(3) Do you consider Silver Age books to start at another time, pre-1960 (thinking 1954)?

Thank you for your participation :hi:

Oh, and...

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!" - Shakespeare

And.... Happy Thanksgiving my brothers and sisters :grin:

Amazing how the modern age is almost longer then the combined ages of the Golden,Silver,Bronze,and Copper ages. :eek:

Just another interesting thing that was taught by old comic historians to the younger comic book readers. In other words a lot of this comic book history from that one must bag and board every comic book to naming every age after a precious metal has been played by the make it up as you go along rules. :o

I think it`s time to stop calling them by ages named after metals, and just call them by decades.

Think about it.

Talking about what comics that were hot in the early 1980s makes much more sense. then talking about what comics were hot in the bronze age or copper age

or we can continue to confuse the masses. lol

Why do people have to assign an age to comics? All it does is just cause confusion and dissension. Why not just go by the year of the comic? 1956…1962…1970… How hard is that? Or go by decades? (shrug)

Totally agree. (thumbs u

There were no ages when I started collecting comics. There wasn't any confusion. Old comics were just old comics. Nothing more. To this day I refuse to use the age references. I'll always say a book is for the 50's or 60's or its year. The rest of you use the ages if you want. That just ain't for me.

Is CGC labeling slabbed books different color labels for each age? I believe they did newer books. Maybe they still are doing that. I don't really know.

1990 through 1999 - The Mylar Age, since this is when the bag and board became the standard for seemingly every comic produced.

2000 through 2009 - The Digital Age, since digital collecting began here abouts.(anyone want to weigh in on the first "digital" comic or the first Digital Key?"

I'd keep Modern to refer to the current age(s) until they are classified.

1990-1999 : Pyrite age ( fool's gold)

2000-2009: Acrylic age ( slabs take over)

2010-present: Modern or Currents

Modern would mean for me anything released within the past 5-10 years.

The key element that is driving these "extended Modern Age" from 1990-up, is that not long after the market purge of 1996-97, comics really ceased to exist as a medium. Remember, comics have always been low-cost, mass market items, cheaply produced and sold as pure entrainment, mostly to young kids and tweens/teens.

Now we have something akin to "Trade Pamphlets" that have outlandish price tags, are produced on expensive paper, and are sold exclusively through niche-market comic shops to adult collectors who all want a NM+ copy.

There are no more comics, so why worry about Ages?