• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Done With Metro

159 posts in this topic

For those who have repeatedly told me over the years about dealing with these guys, you are right and I have had my fill.

Welcome to the club, Jeff! :golfclap:

I know too many collectors (myself included) who have suffered the indignity of too many 'Metro experiences'. For collectors like you (us), it takes an epiphany such as this to finally gain our freedom from them.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed the hobby *much* more since I halted all contact with Metropolis; I hope you can feel the same.

I bought a big ticket book off Metro about six years ago. The experience was altogether so stressful and horrendous (for various reasons of their making) that I have not bought anything whatsoever from them since, nor would I ever consider dealing with them in the future, no matter what the book.

I think I'd rather take my chances with Dupcak.

I will try to give you a more dispassionate overview.

I buy a LOT of stuff from Metro and ComiConnect.

I bid very strongly in their auctions.

I don't really like to lose but there is a guy with bigger pockets than me who wins nearly everything I bid on.

I am petty enough to punish him by bidding him up to ridiculous amounts, falsely hoping I might actually burst his budget.

All that does is cause inflation of book values, which is bad for the hobby. I can honestly say I've never tried to bid anyone up beyond what I was willing to pay for a book.

Aside from that,I know how hard I have to work to save up even a few hundred dollars, and I know that even some buyers of the biggest-ticket books have limited means like I do, so I would not do that to somebody else.

I'm sure Jeff never bid someone up beyond what he was willing to pay for the book.

True. I've had my share of being bid up on books I just had to have. There's even a boardie who has done it repeatedly.

While I can see your frustration I'm not sure what they did was such a big deal. They allowed you to buy the 5 books that you asked and putting the rest into auctions is completely within their right to do so. I'm pretty sure if you were running a sales thread here and then decided to move them to Heritage and someone felt jilted about it you would be very annoyed if they started a similar thread? Last year I was in a bidding war for some of my old high grade Atlas Sub-Mariner books and most of them went for almost double market value. Not sure if its the same buyer(s) but someone definitely has auction fever so can you really blame them? (shrug)

FWIW, Fishler called me a little while ago and said the act of pulling the books was a miscommunication between him and one of the staff. None were supposed to be pulled from the site and that all would be put back after Thanksgiving.

FWIW, Fishler called me a little while ago and said the act of pulling the books was a miscommunication between him and one of the staff. None were supposed to be pulled from the site and that all would be put back after Thanksgiving.

:applause: Keep us posted if you don't get a Christmas card. :kidaround:

Alert, damage control in progress!

Just like Beerbohm, there's always an excuse whenever they're caught in the act of bad behavior and choose to respond.

Just like Beerbohm, it never ends with them.

I don't get the part of them not doing a 100% refund including grading fees when a book comes back restored. :screwy:

this is crazy, so they refund your cost but get a free slabbing? all because THEY screwed up?

Essentially yes. It is their policy and clearly stated on their site. When I returned the book, I did leave it slabbed in all of its trimmed PLOD glory. I do wish I could spot trimimming better and this think was very minute.

It could have been worse. I bought the book, Junior Comics #10, for Feldstein to SS but he failed to show at SDCC so I just sent it in for grading. It is a pretty copy that graded as 7.0.

When I ordered it initially, I did so over the phone and verbally confirmed no restoration but mistakes happen. It would be nice if at least my shipping costs to and fro me back to them (forgetting about the GCG expenses) could be reimbursed.

I am happy to see Jeff's siuation appear to start working out He is one of the most stand up guys around and obviously has been a good customer of Metro. I've bought loads from him with only positive things to say and rejoice over the deals he gives.

I don't get the part of them not doing a 100% refund including grading fees when a book comes back restored. :screwy:

this is crazy, so they refund your cost but get a free slabbing? all because THEY screwed up?

Sounds like a pretty kick business model if you ask me. :applause:

Essentially yes. It is their policy and clearly stated on their site. When I returned the book, I did leave it slabbed in all of its trimmed PLOD glory. I do wish I could spot trimimming better and this think was very minute.

It could have been worse. I bought the book, Junior Comics #10, for Feldstein to SS but he failed to show at SDCC so I just sent it in for grading. It is a pretty copy that graded as 7.0.

When I ordered it initially, I did so over the phone and verbally confirmed no restoration but mistakes happen. It would be nice if at least my shipping costs to and fro me back to them (forgetting about the GCG expenses) could be reimbursed.

I am happy to see Jeff's siuation appear to start working out He is one of the most stand up guys around and obviously has been a good customer of Metro. I've bought loads from him with only positive things to say and rejoice over the deals he gives.

I would have removed the book from the container OR I would have taken a big black indelible maker and wrote "RETURN TO METRO" on the front and back. Yup.

I would have removed the book from the container OR I would have taken a big black indelible maker and wrote "RETURN TO METRO" on the front and back. Yup.

To be honest, I left it in the holder so any future purchaser could see the PLOD and trimmed notation and make an informed decision on the purchase.

I hope Metro keeps it encased. I didn't want to remove it and have it get lost in the shuffle and relisted as unrestored. Not saying Metro would intentionally do that but with their volume, mistakes can obviously happen.

And since I've already taken Jeff's thread off-track - here is the book after slabbing and what I returned.

Again - it is a pretty book.

junior10_zps5d690922.jpg

I bought a Witchcraft #2 ( skull cover ) from Metro and the book arrived with a completely split spine. Non disclosed.

1. I wouldn't have bought it knowing that in the first place

2. I also wouldn't have paid the price I did knowing it had a split spine

3. They would graciously accept the return but only if I paid for the return shipping and only if they determined the book was returned in the state it left their establishment.

The third statement is the interesting one. The split spine wasn't mentioned at all in the listing, how can I prove the book had a split spine in the first place?

I bought a Startling Terror Tales 11 they listed as a 6.5.

1. while the front is spectacular, the back has several chips out of it missing pieces. The interior has a page that looks like someone spilled their spaghetti all over the book and then tried to wipe it up/ smeared it all over the pages. All that said I can't call the book a 6.5. Maybe it is, but it is possible I don't want a spaghetti stained book in the first place and would have liked to have been informed.

I bought a Menace 9 in 4.5-5.0 condition that arrived with massive color touch all along the spine non disclosed.

I bought a Planet Comics 21 that was listed as a 5.5 and from the front and back images I would agree. Then when it arrives it has a rather large printers crease on the front cover. Perhaps this type of defect does not affect the grade, but maybe I am looking for a copy that doesn't have the defect in the first place. It needs to be disclosed in the listing.

Not all of my buying experiences have been bad. Like Cheetah, I also buy a lot of books from them but I think the point is made.

The common problem in all of the above is that the books are raw, and all of them have issues / things that are not disclosed. Their listings need to be far more informative. Otherwise it looks like they are trying to pass off defective books for a higher price.

Based on my own experiences I would recommend buying CGC graded only.

I bought a Witchcraft #2 ( skull cover ) from Metro and the book arrived with a completely split spine. Non disclosed.

3. They would graciously accept the return but only if I paid for the return shipping and only if they determined the book was returned in the state it left their establishment.

The third statement is the interesting one. The split spine wasn't mentioned at all in the listing, how can I prove the book had a split spine in the first place?

1. while the front is spectacular, the back has several chips out of it missing pieces. The interior has a page that looks like someone spilled their spaghetti all over the book and then tried to wipe it up/ smeared it all over the pages. All that said I can't call the book a 6.5. Maybe it is, but it is possible I don't want a spaghetti stained book in the first place and would have liked to have been informed.

I bought a Menace 9 in 4.5-5.0 condition that arrived with massive color touch all along the spine non disclosed.

I bought a Planet Comics 21 that was listed as a 5.5 and from the front and back images I would agree. Then when it arrives it has a rather large printers crease on the front cover. Perhaps this type of defect does not affect the grade, but maybe I am looking for a copy that doesn't have the defect in the first place. It needs to be disclosed in the listing.

Not all of my buying experiences have been bad. Like Cheetah, I also buy a lot of books from them but I think the point is made.

The common problem in all of the above is that the books are raw, and all of them have issues / things that are not disclosed. Their listings need to be far more informative. Otherwise it looks like they are trying to pass off defective books for a higher price.

I actually don't think CGC takes off at all for this defect. I had a Spiderman 64 I bought that looked real nice but after looking at is closer I saw the huge crease. Someone said CGC didn't downgrade for that defect so I submitted it and it came back a 9.6 :o Had I sold it raw, I would have graded it an 8.0.

I actually don't think CGC takes off at all for this defect. I had a Spiderman 64 I bought that looked real nice but after looking at is closer I saw the huge crease. Someone said CGC didn't downgrade for that defect so I submitted it and it came back a 9.6 :o Had I sold it raw, I would have graded it an 8.0.

Correct, CGC does not downgrade for this defect. It is my opinion that they should. That said it should be disclosed that the book has this defect so I can make a more informed decision in my purchase and not be surprised.

Correct, CGC does not downgrade for this defect. It is my opinion that they should. That said it should be disclosed that the book has this defect so I can make a more informed decision in my purchase and not be surprised.

I agree, it is an ugly defect. Who cares that it is present when the comic was produced, still degrades the eye appeal. :sick:

Does CGC deduct for quality pasta sauce spills in GA books? (shrug)

As a kid growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, I made it a common theme to always eat my dinner while reading my funny books and vividly recall splashing tiny droplets of spaghetti sauce on my books and simply wiping it off :devil:

And to make matters worse, I would bring these same books into the little boys room with me while making regular deposits :eyeroll: