• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Done With Metro

159 posts in this topic

I don't drink, so I presume that's why they don't send me a bottle.

This comes as a major shock when I think back over some of your posts. ;)

lol The BLB Ramblin' Road Show!

Metro's merry elv's might leave something nice for you under your frosted tree besides sticks and coal! :grin:

0c6c9ede-05ef-42f1-9b8c-67a5c2c73639_zpsbf875ca2.jpg

I've waited to weigh in....but here goes....

Those Metro fellas are snappy dressers (sort of Metro-sexual you might say), Frank is very tall - taller then me even, and Vinnie's wife smells good. (thumbs u

bridget went to the boss a said "i want to file a claim against harvey for sexual harassment." the boss asked "oh, no, what did he do?" she replied "well, at the water cooler this morning, he told me my hair smelled good." the boss declaimed "but that doesn't sound bad!"

she said: "he's a midget."

:roflmao:

Although I haven't bought a lot of books from Metro over the years, my dealings with the company have been very pleaseant and professional. I bought a CGC 7.0 Flash 123 for a bit less than OSPG value. Another dealer had the same book for $500.00 higher. I also bought a raw Adventure Comics 128 a book that has been on my want list for many years and I was happy to find an unslabbed copy because I always wanted to read the cover story and back up features.

And back in the mid 1990s I bought the Nova Scotia Copy of Lois Lane #6 and Stephen finally lowered the price on the book though it took all day. I eventually had the book slabbed and it came back a CGC 9.0 with real nice PQ. I was extremely happy as it's still the highest graded copy after all these years.

Finally a few years ago at Comic-Con I showed Vincent the Oakland copy of House of Mystery 202. Because I had lost the original mylar and Oakland sticker I had to prove to CGC that the book was the Oakland copy. A representative from

CGC came over to Metro's booth and although Vincent couldn't definitively remember whether the book was indeed the Oakland copy, he told CGC that I am trustworthy and if he says it's the Oakland copy then it is--and besides it looks like it. So CGC gave the book the Oakland designation and the book came back a CGC 9.8 with White Pages--my only 9.8 submission.

12. In regards to Artboy99's post, Hello Karl in Canada,

The scan of the Witchcraft 2 shows spine splits on the book. If it got more damaged in transit I am very sorry but it wasn't our intention to deceive you. Sometimes that happens.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/data/Image/gallery/wit1.90a.jpg

The Startling Terror Tale 11s front cover is gorgeous (looks like a 7.5-8.0) but has some problems with it. I believe that is why it was graded a 6.5. I am not 100% sure if the stain was taken into account when it was graded but it may have been. If you don't like the book please send it back.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/data/Image/gallery/sta4.79a.jpg

The Menace #9 was listed with color touch (ct spine; ow pgs is the exact description) in the description and on the label itself CT means color touch so it wasn't sold as without mention of restoration.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/data/Image/gallery/men2.127a.jpg

I reviewed the front scan of the Planet but can't tell what you are referring to. The front cover scan look better than a 6.5 to me (maybe the grader did see the printer creases and that is why he graded it a 6.5) . Several other posters have mentioned the defect you are referring to isn't really a defect though I agree eye appeal is important. I hope you can see that if it is not easily seen in a high resolution scan that maybe one of our graders missed it or took it into account. If you are unhappy with the book please return it.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/data/Image/gallery/pla1.717a.jpg

You've bought over 40 books from us and had issues with 2 (I will not count the Menace as it was plainly described as having color touch and I will not count the Planet either). Also, I am not sure if you contacted my company about any of your concerns. If you did please email at vincentz@metropoliscomics.com to let me know how they handled the situation. I am sure they told you that you could return the books. If you didn't how could we make the situation right?

In closing, it has been a long day. I've been working the whole day grading books and writing this post. I have to be honest, reading through this thread doesn't make me happy. I think some of the comments are fair but I also think some of the things written here are not fair and I realize how poorly my company appears. Anybody reading this should understand that there are thousands upon thousands of very happy customers who love the books they buy from us, raw and CGC alike. If that wasn't the case we'd be out of business. The proof is in the pudding. And if my company was so bad we wouldn't have tripled in size and revenue over the last 5 years. I'd kindly ask you to give us the benefit of the doubt and realize there are 2 sides to every story. I really care about comics, the art form and the vintage comic market. I read comics every week. I do the best I can to promote the market as a great form of entertainment and investment. I am not perfect but I can tell you that my intention is never to stick a customer with a book that will make them unhappy. We believe in long term, positive relationships. We want to be your source for vintage comic books for the next 10, 20, 30 years. If I can be of assistance with anything please feel free to call me 212-260-4147 ext 14 or 800-229-6387 ext 14.

Sincerely,

Vincent Zurzolo

Hi Vincent,

appreciate the reply here. To comment:

I will say overall I am happy to deal with Metropolois and Comicconnect. As to the issues I have brought up we can go over it further here if you like.

1. The Witchcraft 2 is completely split the front cover is detached completely from the book. Perhaps a trained eye can spot that from the scan. My point is simply to increase the notes in the listing to say the cover is detached so I know in advance.

I contacted someone at Comicconnect regarding this book and was told I could return it no questions asked. This would be on my cost however. It was also made clear to me that I would be refunded only if the book was returned in the same condition as it left comicconnect. Since there is no mention of the cover being completely detached in the first place I decided to not even attempt returning it. My unhappiness with the book stems from lack of disclosure in the first place is my point.

2. The Startling Terror Tales 11 defects are what they are. The back cover chipping is not acceptible on a 6.5 in my opinion nor is the "spaghetti stained" interior. I will own this myself for not asking for a back cover and interior detailed explanation. That said why not just put that information on the site listing in the first place? It is through my interest in the 7.5 you have on the comicconnect site as a replacement to the 6.5 I already purchased that a back cover scan has been added for that book. Perhaps a back cover scan for the 6.5 I purchased for over 1100.00 in the first place would have allowed me as the buyer to make a better decision. Seeing the back cover chipping, I might have decided to add a few more dollars ot the purchase and go for that 7.5 in the first place. Again, I can return the 6.5 raw no questions asked but it is at my cost again and I was informed provided the book is returned in the condition it left comicconnect. Can I prove the book has several missing chips out of the back cover that did not occur after the book is now in my possession or a nasty stain to the interior?

3. The Menace book, you are correct after revisting the site your auction listing did say ct. I will own that one and apologize.

4. The Planet Comics. Since cgc and many other comic enthusiasts do not include a printers crease defect as a downgrade ok we can forget it. I still say it is an important piece of information that can easily be noted in the listing so it isn't a surprise when I get the book.

You only want to count 2 of my over 40 purchases as having issues. Fine, be aware my posting did not include all of the issues I had with several of my other raw book purchases from grading disagreements to severe water damage to "black" sun shadow on "VF" books. I really see no reason to list them all here but there are others. If you want to know I can email you details.

All of them can be resolved by improving the listing details/ notes and perhaps include back cover scans on books. So as to not overwhelm staff with work perhaps you don't need to scan the back covers of every book but maybe set a threshold of book value / warrants a back cover.

My learning experience is that I need to ask more questions and ask if needed to see back cover scans for my future raw book purchases.

Vincent, all of this said I hope to continue to purchase books from you. I think Metropolis and Comiconnect are great sources for books as frequently you have books that no one else has to offer. Take this thread for what it is, as informative and take some of these suggestions as a way to improve and become even better.

I am not trying to tell you how to run your business. I am just one of your customers.

Hi Karl- Thanks for your follow up. I just emailed you to see if there would be a good time for us to talk on the phone. I would like you to know that we put a lot into descriptions when we feel it is necessary. It is possible we miss certain things that could be helpful but we do try to reflect the defects in the final grade. I am taking a lot of the suggestions and comments into account from this post. Again thank you.

Vincent

I wanted to weigh in that my 10+ years of scores of transactions with Metropolis have been very positive. I look forward to doing more business with them in the years to come. They have incredibly deep and diverse inventory, their prices are generally reasonable (i.e., they don't seem to stray from 90-day GPA), their web site is excellent, and their customer responsiveness and packaging are top-notch. Their grading is not perfect, but usually they either get it right or under-grade. The times I think in my opinion that they over-graded, I act on their crystal clear return policy, no questions asked.

But the main reason I buy from Metro/CC is because Vincent, Rob and Frank are stand-up guys who truly care about their customers and the industry. I had a situation where a raw book I purchased from Metro years ago came back purple label with a minor tear seal. Thinking I was out of luck because of the passage of time, they quickly stepped up to the plate and gave me a blue label replacement book. They trusted me that I didn't fiddle with (or swap out) the book during the years between purchase and submission to CGC. I tip my hat to them.

I spoke with my shipping department about cracked holders and here is the feedback I received about our procedures etc:

We do check CGC’s for damage before shipment. If the damage is not evident in the scan/listing we inform the buyer before shipment. Unfortunately, sometimes a small scratch or tiny chip will go unnoticed. We had issues with the small brown mailer boxes so we discontinued using them.

Jeff did complain about three damaged CGC’s, at least one of them the damage was evident in the scan. Glad he is happy with our service, the attention to detail we give his orders and the great books he has purchased from us.

Eitan

We are currently looking into better CGC bags to protect the holders.

Best,

Vincent

I also want to thank all the posters on this thread who have commented on the positive relationship they have with us. It means a lot and I greatly appreciate it.

Guys, At the end of the day we all share a passion for an amazing art form, the American Comic Book and I want us all to continue to enjoy collecting, reading and investing in what we hold so dear to our hearts. I thank you all for allowing me to have a career wherein every day feels like Christmas morning. I am very lucky and have you all to thank.

Best,

Vincent

I also want to thank all the posters on this thread who have commented on the positive relationship they have with us. It means a lot and I greatly appreciate it.

Guys, At the end of the day we all share a passion for an amazing art form, the American Comic Book and I want us all to continue to enjoy collecting, reading and investing in what we hold so dear to our hearts. I thank you all for allowing me to have a career wherein every day feels like Christmas morning. I am very lucky and have you all to thank.

Best,

Vincent

I've had no complaints although I was a little bummed by the harsher criticisms given my own experience. AFAIC, you guys have always been straight shooters. (thumbs u

Also, you and your wife make excellent restaurant recommendations! smiley-eatdrink021.gif

smiley-eatdrink050.gif

Cat

I will chime in to say the transactions I have had with Metro/CC have to date been favorable.

Sure I have had a few 9.0's come back 8.5's and 8.0's come back 7.0's but as many times as this has happened the opposite has happened (we all seem to remember and harp on the losses more than the wins - me included).

Anyway, on balance I have found the grading to be consistent and never wildly askew.

You always have a nice scan (front) and can judge for yourself whether the grade is accurate so there is some comparative fault involved if it ends up grading lower and of course grading is not done by robots, but humans with all their issues. Exceptions are of course interior issues and BC if it isn't provided, but as some have conceded you can always ask and if it is high dollar enough you probably should.

The only issue I had was with an order I placed that wasn't filled, but apparently the consignor was the issue not Metro.

Also, they offered me a relatively high value book I needed/wanted. I waited to hear back on a price and later learned I couldn't buy it out right but would instead have to wait for it to be auctioned. Apparently, there was some miscommunication among the staff. So far it hasn't popped up in an auction yet. Maybe it is stuck at CGC. Regardless, they are free to do what they like with their books and I am free not to participate in the auction when it pops up.

Over the last year or so I have picked up many Sucha books (both raw and graded) from Metro. I have been very happy with the communication, quality of the books and speed/security of the shipments to me.

Hmmm, I seem to remember you telling me that one night in chicago.

Except you kept hugging Gary Dolgoff and calling him Vinny's name.

if you can't be with the one you love honey, love the one your with