• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Fight Comics 3

18 posts in this topic

It has few small bug chews holes in the spine but no spine plits

Is that a vertical crease at the spine at the bottom then?

Excellent eye-appeal, even with the dust shadow at the bottom, and an amazing cover I hadn't noticed before. Minor silverfish damage, fortunately only visible on back and spine, minor corner crease lower right FC ( and on back), detached CF, small edge tear, corner wear and lower staple tears conspire to keep it in the 4.5 range, but a sweet 4.5 IMHO.

Thank you! I love it when a book makes me pull out my Gerber Guide:

Fight Comics #3 / March 1940

Fight Comics, Inc. (Fiction House Magazines)

Gerber SI 5 / Gerber RVI 200

Will Eisner Cover / George Tuska Art

It has few small bug chews holes in the spine but no spine plits

Is that a vertical crease at the spine at the bottom then?

Excellent eye-appeal, even with the dust shadow at the bottom, and an amazing cover I hadn't noticed before. Minor silverfish damage, fortunately only visible on back and spine, minor corner crease lower right FC ( and on back), detached CF, small edge tear, corner wear and lower staple tears conspire to keep it in the 4.5 range, but a sweet 4.5 IMHO.

Agreed. :sumo:

can a book with a detached centerfold that presents like a 4.0-4.5 as this one does still be graded a 4.5?

Anyone have a graded example?

I am thinking 3.0 because of the CF detached.

+1 I was curious about the same thing!smiley-gen130.gif

:gossip: It's actually much scarcer than a Gerber 5......

:gossip: It's actually much scarcer than a Gerber 5......

No doubt, if you're looking for one :grin: But a Gerber 5 means what? That there are 200 to 1000 copies estimated to exist? That's still pretty scarce imho (thumbs u

can a book with a detached centerfold that presents like a 4.0-4.5 as this one does still be graded a 4.5?

Anyone have a graded example?

I am thinking 3.0 because of the CF detached.

+1 I was curious about the same thing!smiley-gen130.gif

I don't know what CGC's attitude is on this or even if they are consistent, but I think many would agree that the lower the grade is the less this seems to matter. If I saw a book that presented as a 2.0 from the covers, opened it up and found the CF was detached it would be unlikely to effect my opinion of the grade at all, though it should still be a flaw that's noted. On the other hand an otherwise 9.0+ book with a detached CF should either be be a qualified grade or reduced to the upper midgrades IMHO. Without the CF detached I'd consider the book in this thread to be closer to a 5.0, and am basically discounting the grade by .5 in my estimate, but I realize it's one of the flaws that some people feel far more strongly about, and would be harsher on ( as I am with a flaw like Marvel chipping - which personally bothers me more than detached centerfolds)