• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's do a top 10

160 posts in this topic

Bounty coder,

Please post your picks for the top 10. I think (and I'm sure everyone agrees) that your input is essential. I need to keep this topic moving though , and my intent is that by monday we start deciding our top 10.

Red My apologies! It has been hectic for me the last few weeks. I'll make this easy for my Top Ten...First 10 issues of Psycho! poke2.gif

screwy.gif Haha Just kidding. I will have some time later today to give it some deeper thought. I have been pondering it since you initially posted it. Just needed to time to think more and have meaning to my answers.

My list will probably miss some of the non-Horror/Monster stuff because that is more where my expertise is. But that is why we are brainstorming! So we can come up with an all encompasing list.

I will post thoughts later today! Fear not.

-bounty

awaiting your picks!

I dont think we can/should start without your input.

Alright well I think that it is fair to say that we are creating a top ten list of Magazine must owns. Now along those lines, it can also be broken up into subcatagories such as "Must Owns" based on Scarcity, Value Appreciation, Best Stories, Best Art, Most influentual...etc...etc.

I am creating a list of 10 magazines that were definitely firsts and would be major milestones in the Comic Magazine Genre. In no real particular order.

1. Creepy #1 - Warrens first all comic magazine, awesome Jack Davis cover bringing us back to the good ole days

2. Vampirella #1 - When someone asks someone to name a comic magazine from the 70's I think that most will say Vampirella. This is the first title that I knew about when I was a strict comic collector and didn't know much about magazines. Has had huge influence on magazines and most likely was the seed for bad girl comics in the future.

3. Nightmare #1 - First Skywald Comic Magazine. As far as I know did not contain reprints as Psycho #1 did. Really set off Skywald

4. Weird V1 #11 1966 Eerie Publications - While this is the 2nd Eerie Pub book ever, you may wonder why I didnt pick the first issue. I felt that this was the first issue that really set the awesome horror covers from this publisher. Great Powell cover. Paved the road for Stanley (in the sense of cheaper "knockoffs")

5. Savage Tales #1 1971 - Well this is a no-brainer. First Conan Mag app, First ever App of Manthing, and a decap head cover!!!!! BWS rocked this one out.

6. His Name is Savage #1 - 1969 Little known book. Gil Kanes masterpeice. This book was a milestone in magazines. Kane came out with an idea to actually have more mature subject in a book. He was getting very tired of Comic related stuff. This book is indeed savage and for mature readers (at least during the late 60's). This book was actually boycotted by many at the time. Kane could not even find a publisher because of this. Finally a small print company helped out and Kanes book finally got printed. Most copies were destroyed, only 20K total were kept and out of those very few hit distribution.

7. Heavy Metal #1 Many people on the board have convinced me of this one for their reasoning please read above.

8. Vampire Tales #1 1974 One of the earliest magazines put out by marvel, this was Morbius's first solo book, Can be considered the "Savage Tales #1" of vampires.

9. Web of Horror #3 1969 First ever Printed Berni Wrightons Cover in a comic Medium. Great cover, Wrightons is one of the building blocks of the 70's and this alone places this book in this list.

10. Mad #24 - First EC Magazine. This was the resting place of EC.

Also really liked a couple of Pre-Code's pics:

Weird Mysteries # 1 (A 1950's anomoly that showed publishers were still willing to try horror after EC had bailed from the game. I look at it as the indy rock garage band release of this list.)

EC Terror Illustrated # 1 (picto-fiction horror, setting the stage for future titles)

Now a whole new list could be built off of scarcity. There could also really be one for undervalued/unknown books. Hehe we could go on forever.

-bounty

Ive compiled a list of every book proposed by the contributors in this thread. We have 26 books suggested thus that means 16 need to be axed from the list. I originally thought of a poll of some sort but decided that it would be much better to have people suggest books that they feel dont belong in the top 10 and why , which of course would entice those that proposed the book to defend it and in the course of the whole debate the whole forum would hopefully educate each other regarding magazines we didnt know existed or knew very little about. So, lets try n keep it friendly.

With that.....

One of the books I disagreed with initially was Web Of Horror 1. Its a superb series but I cant see it making it into the top 10. Especially being that in my mind , Web of Horror 3 (first wrightson cover art) is a much more significant book (and Im not sure I would have that in a top 10 list either). I feel that WoH has a sister title in 'Tales of the Macabre' (Seaboard publications , extremely well done with issue 2 having an awesome Boris cover)...yet that title wasnt mentioned by anyone.

BTW: I suppose a book is axed when either the original contributor agrees that it should be pulled or in the case of a stalemate , the majority of those in this thread vote it off the island.

1. Vampirella 1977 Special Edition HardCover

2. Mad Magazine #24

3. Savage Tales #1

4. Famous Monsters # 1

5. Playboy # 1

6. Marvel Preview # 2

7. Eerie # 1 (B/W low print run. Printed quickly to secure title)

8. Savage Sword Of Conan # 1

9. Creepy # 1

10. Eerie # 2 (?)

11. Vampirella # 1 (First Bronze Bag Girl?)

12. Nightmare # 1

13. Psycho # 1

14. Scream # 1

15. Nightmare # 20 (First John Byrne art)

16. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

17. Heavy Metal # 1

18. Cracked # 1

19. Weird Mysteries # 1

20. Web of Horror # 1

21. Blazing Combat 1

22. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

23. Weird V1 #11 1966 Eerie Publications

24. His Name is Savage #1 - 1969

25. Vampire Tales #1 1974

26. Web of Horror #3 1969

From seeing other more important candidates suggested I axe from my list (which was off the cuff) the following books:

13. Psycho # 1

14. Scream # 1

I also think that the criteria for these top ten should be the "Must Haves" meaning books that had an impact on the industry as opposed to the rare books. That should be another top ten for completely different reasons. Having said that, the list that I think is mostly spot on is Bounty's. The only two in that list I have doubts on are # 6 His Name is Savage as I'm not familiar with the title and # 8 Vampire Tales. My candidates for replacement are:

EC Terror Illustrated # 1 (picto-fiction horror, setting the stage for future titles)

Savage Sword Of Conan # 1 (published a year later than VT but helped usher in the growing fantasy genre being discovered in the Bronze age)

I think it must go without saying that Playboy and Famous Monsters ought to get the boot. FM was a great pub, but as I already said, it wasn't a comic mag. Neither was Playboy. Any questions?

Eerie #1 is no doubt a "hen's tooth", but you know what.... it was just following in Creepy's footsteps (which was following in the footsteps of Ec's Terror Illustrated & Weird Mysteries) and so was Eerie # 2. Great mags, but no room in my Top 10 for either one. As a horror-head, it pains me to say this, but.... Sorry.

This one I almost hate to have to boot, but.... Vampi '77 Spec. Ed. Hardcover. Who among the laymen has heard of this? It's just too rare for it's own good, and belongs on another list entirely I'm afraid. (along with Eerie # 1)

And can someone please remind me why Marvel Preview #2 was mentioned? Can't remember off the top of the noggin'. (shame on me!)

OK, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I can be man enough to swallow my pride on WoH # 1; if I switch the pick to WoH # 3 instead. This title was influential beyond belief, if one reads the interviews of the creators. Also, look at my defense for #1, it applies to 3 as well. I only listed 1 because w/out it there would never had been a # 3.

1. Vampirella 1977 Special Edition HardCover

4. Famous Monsters # 1

5. Playboy # 1

7. Eerie # 1 (B/W low print run. Printed quickly to secure title)

16. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

17. Heavy Metal # 1

20. Web of Horror # 1

21. Blazing Combat 1

my pics to go, sadly for some...

frown.gif

I give on Vampi HC and Blazing combat 1.

As several of you have pointed out, other than being very rare it (HC 77) really has no other qualities meriting a top 10. Blazing Combat #1 is a personal favorite of mine being that I am such a war-comic buff but I must admit it didnt spawn a legion of war mags or launch a succesful run (4 issues then pthpttt). So besides having a frazetta cover (which about 30 issues of Eerie and Creepy have also) , and being a fairly hard find, there's not much to break it from the pack.

1. Mad Magazine #24

2. Savage Tales #1

3. Marvel Preview # 2

4. Savage Sword Of Conan # 1

5. Creepy # 1

6. Vampirella # 1 (First Bronze Bag Girl?)

7. Nightmare # 1

8. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

9. Cracked # 1

10. Weird Mysteries # 1

11. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

12. Weird V1 #11 1966 Eerie Publications

13. Web of Horror #3 1969

That narrows it down to 13 so far barring any dusputes.

I'm still up in the air regarding Heavy Metal though 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jayman, guess you need some more convincing on hm...

I would gladly sacrifice my Weird Mysteries from the list to get hm back on there.

First, read my initial defense for the mag....

.....ok, done already? Here's what else I have to offer:

hm was one of the catalysts for the downfall of the B&W mag, and maybe that's why some of us don't seem to take a shine to it. Vivid color on quality paper in a professional format. hm treated comic art like.... ART. Marvel saw it's success and (surprise!) jumped on the wagon with Epic Illustrated, yet never managed to match hm. How long after hm hit the stands did the b&w's start to fold? Just a few years. Right about the same time hm was such a hit that the movie came out. Give or take. In fact, isn't hm still in print? confused-smiley-013.gifhttp://www.heavy-metal.net/ grin.gif

So, even though I am first and foremost a b&w horror mag fan, I have to tip my hat, give the devil his due, cliche, cliche, and state that hm deserves a spot in the top 10. sumo.gif

Jayman, guess you need some more convincing on hm...

I would gladly sacrifice my Weird Mysteries from the list to get hm back on there.

First, read my initial defense for the mag....

.....ok, done already? Here's what else I have to offer:

hm was one of the catalysts for the downfall of the B&W mag, and maybe that's why some of us don't seem to take a shine to it. Vivid color on quality paper in a professional format. hm treated comic art like.... ART. Marvel saw it's success and (surprise!) jumped on the wagon with Epic Illustrated, yet never managed to match hm. How long after hm hit the stands did the b&w's start to fold? Just a few years. Right about the same time hm was such a hit that the movie came out. Give or take. In fact, isn't hm still in print? confused-smiley-013.gifhttp://www.heavy-metal.net/ grin.gif

So, even though I am first and foremost a b&w horror mag fan, I have to tip my hat, give the devil his due, cliche, cliche, and state that hm deserves a spot in the top 10. sumo.gif

Keith, don't get me wrong as I believe hm is an important candidate for this list, but remember this is a top 10 only and I was just weighing my decision.

When did the Warren mags; Creepy, Eerie and Vampi start to include one full color story in their b/w mags? I remember a couple being done by Richard Corben. Was this the around the time (or in response to) Heavy Metal being published?

If Heavy Metal is in ( which I'm starting to agree with), I say we dump Cracked # 1 (the 2nd most successful comic satire rag) as it was just riding on Mad's success.

[quote

Keith, don't get me wrong as I believe hm is an important candidate for this list, but remember this is a top 10 only and I was just weighing my decision.

Jayman, I totally understand. I took no "offense" to your decisions. Hopefully you didn't feel like I was "irked" at your opinions. Not at all. You are one of my favorite forumites to banter with. Complete respect.

I was just getting into the spirit of what RedRaven called "defending" our picks to one another. Maybe I got a little overzealous? confused-smiley-013.gif Hope not.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif As for Cracked, I can see it getting the boot.

I'm gonna have to look into the Warren color stories. I think they started around Creepy 63 ? Not sure!

No offense taken Keith. flowerred.gif

You are also a board member whom I look forward to reading his posts/responses. By all means let's debate, that's the reason for this thread but as you can see, I'm going more with the idea to include hm #1. Especially if they inspired the Warren mags to include color to compete with the change in format. Don't know this for certain but would be interesting to compare some publishing dates to see who came out with color first.

BTW: I'm jonesin' for a new issue of HCR dude! grin.gif

I'm gonna toss my hat in as a hm 1 backer.

Is there any comic mag other than Mad that has had a longer-continuous run on the stands than hm? (and it spawned 2 films also).

1. Mad Magazine #24

2. Savage Tales #1

3. Savage Sword Of Conan # 1

4. Creepy # 1

5. Vampirella # 1 (First Bronze Bag Girl?)

6. Nightmare # 1

7. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

8. Weird Mysteries # 1

9. Weird V1 #11 1966 Eerie Publications

10. Web of Horror #3 1969

11. Heavy Metal #1

I think we can remove Cracked #1 as said. It really was a coat-tail rider. Too much of one for this elite list. Another one that I am petitioning to eliminate is Marvel Preview #2. While a complete awesome book with the first ever printed Origin of the Punisher and his first Magazine appearance, it just doesnt have the clout that is being witnessed by the other books. Still it is a must own, it falls outside of this top 10 window though.

Here is where I think the Key Books are in determining. One of them will have to revolve out. Weird Mysteries # 1 , EC Terror Illustrated # 1, Weird V1 #11 1966 Eerie Publications, Savage Sword Of Conan # 1.

Eliminating one of those books will give us our final top 10 with the list that I provided above. I can see the Signifigance of EC TERROR Illust. and Weird Mysteries. While they are definitely before my time, and I currently dont own these books. So I cannot give any substance on them, though Pre-codes points seemed valid. Next comes to the 2nd ever published issue by Eerie Publications. Do we want to give Eerie Pub. so much credit? I mean in their entirity they did print over 150 books or so. It is a tough call. But this I feel is the cover that did start the whole mood of Eerie Pub. Next we come to Savage Sword of Conan #1. Wow, tough call. Definitely a much loved series. And I gotta admit most of these covers are creative and awesome. I think that its either one or the other on the EC Terror and Weird Mysteries, or we cut out Savage Sword crazy.gif

Tough call but lets make it collectively.

I'm already thinking of top 10 Skywalds! headbang.gifyay.gifheadbang.gif

-bounty

Well I hate to say this, because I love Skywalds, But Cracked #1 is a much more successful coat follower then Nightmare #1 which is essentially a warren coat follower. Same with Weird (eerie pubs) i LOVE those books, but cracked started in 1958, ran for about 40 years, and come out sporadically to this day. As a kid I had a huge pile of cracked, but no skywalds...

Well I hate to say this, because I love Skywalds, But Cracked #1 is a much more successful coat follower then Nightmare #1 which is essentially a warren coat follower. Same with Weird (eerie pubs) i LOVE those books, but cracked started in 1958, ran for about 40 years, and come out sporadically to this day. As a kid I had a huge pile of cracked, but no skywalds...

Odd, Shivs..... I also had a stack of Cracked mags as a kid, and no Skywalds. Now it is just the opposite..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Darn, Shiver...now you got me thinking, Top 10 Comic mags...that's the list init?

Maybe most of us are such Horror heads (myself guilty) that we can't let go of the genre. You do have a valid point re: Cracked, but what constitutes a top 10 book more here? A long print run or a book that was inovative or trend setting? I'm not certain myself. I think the candidates for expulsion now are:

Cracked # 1 - (1958 Popular humor/satire mag ala Mad)

My positive: As stated above, long runnining title large fanbase.

My negative: Any ground breaking issues here other than # 1?

Weird Mysteries # 1 - (1959 one-shot used EC swipes)

My positive: None.

My negative: I'm not seeing this as all that special, one issue...what happened?

Weird V1 # 11 - (1966 Eerie Publications. As stated by Bounty,"Paved the road for Stanley in the sense of cheaper "knockoffs")

My positive: Yes nice covers and over the top art!

My negative: Again anything really significant to beat out the other candidates?

Web of Horror # 3 - (1970 first Wrightson cover, includes popular artists)

My positive: First Wrightson cover...and ah,...first Wrightson cover?

My negative: Is a first cover an automatic inclusion in the top 10? It's not his first published work is it?

Savage Sword Of Conan # 1 - (1974 Fantasy mag., includes popular artists)

My positive: Very popular book with large fanbase.

My negative: Savage Tales already has this covered.

I know my ears will be burning shortly so let's hear it. popcorn.gifyay.gif