• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's do a top 10

160 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd join in with a thought. I have always been of the opinion that EC's Terror Illustrated (as well as Shock Illustrated etc.) were not really comic magazines, rather they were mainly text stories with a few accompanying panels to illustrate the text content. A bit like the Atlas/Seaboard Gothic Romances in the mid 70s. I would venture to say that Eerie Tales #1 (one-shot) or Weird Mysteries #1 (one-shot), both produced in - was it '59 - deserve a place if only for being the first ever true horror comic magazine. Also, and maybe I'll lose all credibility here, wouldn't Nightmare #9 (which I believe introduced Skywald's Horror-Mood) be more fitting of a place than Nightmare #1?

Interesting point. I am at a loss to judge the EC Terror Illustrated as I don't own a copy, anyone else care to add their opinion? I did brush upon that point regarding Skywald's Nightmare # 1 vs Nightmare # 9 start of the "Horror-Mood" concept (thanks for reminding me which issue!). What do the rest of you think?

Nightmare # 1 (Skywald's first horror mag) or

Nightmare # 9 (start of the Horror-Mood) or

Neither?

I'm still leaning towards Nightmare # 1 until someone can sway me. hi.gif

I'm at a complete loss as well, as I don't have a copy of Terror Illustrated either. It IS listed in OPG, which of course means nothing, yet even hm is NOT listed, and we KNOW hm is a comic magazine.

I have repeatedly heard the story that Jim Warren took copies of Terror Illustrated to the printer and said, "THIS is what I want Creepy to look like." Based on these things, I always though TI was a comic magazine, but I really don't know. Anyone have a copy? confused-smiley-013.gif

As for Skywald ..... I'm still leaning on Nightmare # 1.

As for Weird Mysteries, I tried to include it, but in the closing analysis it got kicked to the curb.

OK, to clear things up a little on TI, I questioned my buddy and noted EC historian Roger Hill. (Roger worked on EC fanzines like Squa Tront & Spa Fon back in the day, and he has a new one out right now as well. He also appeared in the Overstreet video in which he shows off some of his awesome EC original art.) Here's what he had to say:

"Hi Keith:

Yes, TERROR ILLUSTRATED is (in my opinion) one of the coolest horror comic

magazines that EC ever put out. Gaines tried it, and other titles, for two or

three issues, in the magazine format, just to get around the comics code. And

basically what they are is all the usual gang of great artists, redrawing old

horror stories from the comic books, with a little bit of Feldstein re-editing,

and turning them into some of the most beautifully illustrated type stories

ever done. No word balloons, but great drawing with text either below or above.

Most of them were in black and white, and occassionally color tones put on a

panel here and there. But man, the artists were able to use all kinds of great

shading tecniques in order to make more tones of grey, and these stories are

gorgeous.

They are expensive though, but if you wait a few months, Russ Cochran will be

coming out with hardcover reprint volumes of all the Picto-Fiction mags, which

I and a few other EC historians are writing the text for. There's even a few of

these stories that never got published, because Gaines was losing too much

money on them, and shut them down early.

Best,

Roger"

If Roger Hill Says it IS a comics magazine, that is good enough for me. What say you all? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with Keith,

...after all , the mag says on its very cover "An original EC picto fiction magazine"

Due to its lineage and its context in the comic-code melodrama I vote for Terror-Illustrated #1 as a top 10 inductee.

Bravo Keith!

Thanks for digging up that great info. You know when this thread started I figured ten books would be chosen quickly as if "ho-hum, of course these are the top ten" but I'm really enjoying the debating part of this and now I'm learning something! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

cool Keith!

No Way, jayman, We are SERIOUS about this stuff grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

sorry.gif

I know what you mean 27_laughing.gif

What I meant is that I thought some of you guys would have had this list down pat years ago.

Hey, I can be serious! yay.gifyay.gif

BTW: are we going to come down to a final decision soon or is there anyone left to debate or introduce other candidates. Should we start hearing final thoughts? Bounty, will we be hearing from you? Red Raven as this was your thread, we should probably wait to hear from you.

Ok all, this is the proposed list for the unordered top 10.

If any of yuze gize got a beef with this then open your cakeholes now!

1. Cracked # 1

2. Creepy # 1

3. EC Terror Illustrated # 1

4. Heavy Metal # 1

5. Mad Magazine # 24

6. Nightmare # 1

7. Savage Sword Of Conan # 1

8. Savage Tales # 1

9. Vampirella # 1

10. Web of Horror # 3

1. Cracked # 1

2. Creepy # 1

4. Heavy Metal # 1

5. Mad Magazine # 24

6. Nightmare # 1

8. Savage Tales # 1

9. Vampirella # 1

10. Web of Horror # 3

I like! thumbsup2.gif

I have been following this thread for a while and I have to say the final list looks good. I guess my only "disappointment" is that vampirella hardcover did not make the list. It is one of the most desirable bronze age books. I do understand that there really is nothing sensational about that issue except for the fact that the printer screwed up the run and all 500 of the originals were damaged to varying extremes leaving less than 1/2 of the total run in "decent" shape. I guess it is just

a rare book, but not necessarily a top-10. Anyway, I like the tone of the comic mag threads..much more civil than the comic threads.

GO TEAM VENTURE!!

Anyway, I like the tone of the comic mag threads..much more civil than the comic threads.

angel.gif

We try our best! I "know" a couple forumites and I have utmost respect for their opinions, and I feel they return that respect to others as well. Even if we don't agree over here, we listen to reason without being jerks most of the time.

I completely know what you mean, as I just got "attacked" over in another thread for merely expressing an opinion that someone didn't agree with. I tried to lay out some food for debate/ thought to "hammer" out our sides, and the other party chose to quickly resort to grade school name calling. I have to admit though, when people choose to go the route of personal attack, I quickly drop the gloves, stoop to their level, and give right back to them what they dish out. devil.gif

1. Cracked # 1

2. Creepy # 1

4. Heavy Metal # 1

5. Mad Magazine # 24

6. Nightmare # 1

8. Savage Tales # 1

9. Vampirella # 1

10. Web of Horror # 3

Looks good to me too. Time to rate them in order? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1. EC Terror Illustrated # 1