• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay Seller MRGA

58 posts in this topic

I received this response tonight from Tina:

A little bit about us: We started (my brother and I - with the help of a few dear friends and family members) selling my grandfather's life-long comic book collection back in 1998. Our grandfather collected from the 1930's right up through the early 1970's - many issues in duplicates and triplicates. He decided to sell his collection in 1998 and asked us to help him do so - primarily to supplement the retirement income of my grandparents.

Prior to beginning our venture back in 1998, we contacted a few of the "big guys" in the business and did have a few very enticing offers (before we realized exactly what we had) - one of which was in the mid six figures. We did our homework at that time and realized the majority of those we spoke with were "car salesmen" to say the very least - we had a handfull of comic books alone that were worth nearly 7 figures. One of the main problems we had back then, and still do today, is that none of the boxes are categorized - we don't know what's in there until we start going through the boxes - and, we are only able to get to one to two boxes each month - as it is very time consuming and we all have real jobs. However, we don't complain much as it makes our grandparents happy and it is a pleasure to see our Pop's face when he sees some of those issues - many of which he is still attached to and we don't sell those particular issues until he gives us the go ahead.

We started off with nearly 250 boxes of comic books (probably around 50 to 60 thousand books) and still have some 100+ boxes to go (20 to 25 thousand possibly). We enjoyed ebay in the early years and developed a nice direct sales customer base of very sincere, knowledgeable customers - unlike what ebay seems to have become today. We spend 95% of our time and energy serving our direct sales customer base (in the order of their want lists - we don't have "favorites" - we believe in first come, first serve ...if that customer doesn't want the comic book, for whatever reason, we go on to the next want for that particular issue) - - these days, we only list at ebay so we don't totally eliminate and exclude the new, sincere collectors and investors coming into the hobby - we hate to ruin a good thing due to a few bad apples, but when something becomes more aggravation than fun, it is time to change something.

Our storage facility where we store the majority of the books is located an hour+ drive from our residence - so, we go there but twice a month to break down descriptions and scan books and to get others ready for shipment to our customers. We do everything via internet and mail - primarily for security purposes. We still have some very valuable comic books in the remaining 100+ boxes - and many that our Pop still has with him as we've pulled them from the boxes over the years - that he won't let go to new homes just yet - including his Action #1 issue.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

Feel free to drop us an e-mail with any titles and issues of interest and we'll log you into the computer and keep you informed.

As I said in the Superman #2 thread, sometimes people are just strange, but I smell something funny here. Just not comfortable with it.

tonofbricks.gif

Unbelievable. It's all there - the beloved grandpa with seemingly the largest cache of GA books outside Baltimore yeahok.gif, tales of chicanery and lies from other dealers, and even an indictment of ebay customers. The problems inherent in their business clearly lie with everyone else - they even have a dig at other ebay dealers (they have "real jobs", and this is just a sideline).

I also can't believe they haven't done an inventory of their storage boxes. Anyway, their arrogance is off the scale.

it does seem that they have the books that they say, but they can't grade to save their lives. easily off 2 full grades with all the hidden defects.

based upon the books that i got I would suspect that the books were pressed.

customer service is totally NON-EXISTANT. they do not reply to problems after the sale. They stalled me me stories of a heart attack for Steve ( but he was only their FATHER not gramps at that time.

IN SHORT DO NOT BUY FROM THEM, unless you can view the books in person!

p.s. Hi Sky nice to see that you have found your way to this forum

If anyone has bought from this seller and felt that they were defrauded, particularly if the books turned out to be restored please contact me via PM or e-mail.

I think my next legal niche is to become the attorney for those who have been defrauded on ebay in comic book purchases. I am so tired of sellers like this, and I want them out of business. makepoint.gif

I asked MRGA for scans on the Batman 2 they had up a couple of years ago and they said the scan they had up was good enough for me. I asked them again to please send me a larger scan because I really need to be sure of the condition of the book and I was banned from bidding on their auctions.

I asked MRGA for scans on the Batman 2 they had up a couple of years ago and they said the scan they had up was good enough for me. I asked them again to please send me a larger scan because I really need to be sure of the condition of the book and I was banned from bidding on their auctions.

Like I said, unbelievable. Anyone who thinks the "Wild West" days of ebay are over should think again...

Like I said, unbelievable. Anyone who thinks the "Wild West" days of ebay are over should think again...

Yee-haw! tongue.gif

Yee-haw! tongue.gif

One thing's for sure - CGC ain't Gary Cooper... cool.gif

Yee-haw! tongue.gif

One thing's for sure - CGC ain't Gary Cooper... cool.gif

.....or even his horse.

"Bump" for this thread, as "popscomicbooks" has just listed a bunch of GA books on ebay. Their games with private feedback, hidden user IDs etc are detailed in this thread and several others. Avoid.

Another bump..."popscomicbooks" is active on ebay again...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpopscomicbooksQQhtZ-1

...and they've expanded and revised their snarling rant against buyers that they consider "whiners and scammers" (in other words, buyers who have complained about their overgrading). A true must-read! 27_laughing.gif

http://members.aol.com/mrgaauctions2/breitenbachrule.htm

I don't see how that over-the-top rant combined with a less than stellar feedback percentage and private feedback is going to install confidence in first time bidders. Of course, long before reading anything on these boards, the excess verbiage scared me off from these auctions.

I don't understand sellers like that. They think the customer is an obsticle to get around. Ebay has caused some people to believe they can be a seller without any customer service. I've sold on eBay and generally say, no returns. But, if a problem comes up, I take care of them. Repeat business is the ONLY way to stay around. There are only so many suckers in the world.

Also, what book is worth "almost 7 figures"? The only ones I can think of are the Mile High Action 1 and Allentown Detective 27.

Just want to make it clear. Don't buy from these awful sellers. no matter what they have it is not worth dealing with them.

I read there latest rant. These guys are seriously wacko. It is hard to believe that ebay has never NARU'd them

This book was called NM but it a separated cover and centerfold

bb1.jpg

I was considering their Men's Adventure lot, but when I asked them for additional scans, Tina emailed me saying they do not have a scanner and that she hoped to get one for Xmas? And again, there were no actual grades on the books.

Then, after I did a little digging, I discovered they are the old MRGA, who sent me a horrific-ly overgraded Planet #72 a few years ago.

Not only will i not buy anything of these people ever again, but I think they are borderline committing fraud and someone should go after them. These people need to be put out of business....just my own humble opinion.