• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your predication in 2014?

70 posts in this topic

But even this most horrible of tragedies does have a silver lining. Just like many other things, a huge number of the copies of Major Inapak will be destroyed due to various calamities. What is now a difficult sell at $5, will, for extant now-scarce copies after the eruption, drive prices rapidly upward to a predicted range of $37.50 - $50.00 for unscorched high-grades.

:roflmao:

A major character will come back/die, or change his or her race/religion/sexual orientation. The news will cover the story for a day, hype will die down in a month. Many unsold comics featuring said event will sit unsold on eBay until the end of time.

What's about Scott Snyder the writer?

What's about the combo team of Neal Adams and Dennis O'Neil?

What's about Tony Moore and Robert Kirkman?

It depends on the book what characters they wrote.

I never said there wouldn't be good things happening in comics in 2014. But, what kind of comic book fan posting on an internet forum would I be if I didn't harp on the negative?

:jokealert:

It's probably the most likely prediction to actual happen out of all those I've read so far...

Maybe less a prediction than a forgone conclusion...

Prediction: The announcement of a movie/tv show will cause the first issue/first appearance of the character(s) to skyrocket in price in a matter of hours. The feeding frenzy will continue until the project is shelved/is revealed to be terrible and the value will plummet back to the pre-hype level. Some sellers will inexplicably continue to sell at the post-hype levels despite all evidence to the contrary about the book's value.

I predict:

1) Independents will continue to gain market share on Marvel and DC and they will finish 2014 at 35 - 40% of the new comic market.

2) Movie and TV books will begin to lose their luster due to more and more comics being optioned for movies and TV. Quality will begin to drive the "hot" comic market, not movie/TV news. It will be easier to identify the comics not optioned than to identify the comics that are optioned.

3) Star Wars comics will continue to be published by Dark Horse. :grin:

4) DC will begin publishing an ongoing Kamandi comic.

5) A huge turnover will occur in Marvel's top ranks as their "Marvel Now" branding loses them more and more market share.

6) DC announces a new Preacher series. The series is a flop however as the series is a re-imagination instead of a continuation.

7) Star Trek comic sales decline to where Star Trek is no longer in the top 300 comics a month. IDW goes back to the mini-series format for Star Trek.

8) Ongoing Transformers, Ghostbusters also return the the mini-series format as those ongoing titles also are stopped.

9) Boom Studios is absorbed by another independent publishing company.

10) Another issue of Walking Dead receives the "special treatment" and has 10 variant covers.

11) DCs summer crossover results in a major character losing his/her costume identity to a supervillian (ala Marvel's Superior Spider-man.)

12) Several of Image's "hot" titles cease publication as the writers/artist are unable to maintain the hectic pace of a new comic every month. Image's market share is unaffected however as they successfully publishes 5-6 new #1s every month for the first half of 2014, increasing this to 10-15 new #1s every month in the second half of 2014.

13) Valiant experiments with the anthology format for several of their "B" stars. Bloodshot headlines this book.

14) Valiant continues to appeal to the same diehard 10,000 fans neither picking up more readers or losing existing readers. All books published by Valiant eventually settle into the 10,000 copies a month range by issue 7 or 8.

But even this most horrible of tragedies does have a silver lining. Just like many other things, a huge number of the copies of Major Inapak will be destroyed due to various calamities. What is now a difficult sell at $5, will, for extant now-scarce copies after the eruption, drive prices rapidly upward to a predicted range of $37.50 - $50.00 for unscorched high-grades. The clever forward-looking investor should be able to pocket himself a nearly 10-fold profit in less than a year! (thumbs u

Amen!

I still have five copies of this book in storage that I picked up from Bud Plant over twenty years ago. I think I've been patient.

:taptaptap:

We already have seen books are hot while other books got derailed in 2013.

Which books will be hot in 2014?

Which books will you must have in your collection in 2014?

Which books will be declined in value dramatically in 2014?

Any book in any age and any category that doesn't matter.

I'm a huge fan of Neal Adams Batman and Detective Comics Books. Personally, I found a new love for DC. Most of the major Marvel keys and minor keys are overhyped, while high grade DC comics lie dormant. The only thing to get me back into collecting high grade comic books this year were DC books due to the over glut of supply of high grade Marvels.

I actually removed books from my want list late this past year because I kept seeing them everywhere I went. One of these books was Captain America #100 and another was Fantastic Four #48. I am by no means suggesting that I may not want to own these books at some point, but what is the fun in wanting books that I can easily buy at almost any comic book auction or from any dealer I know?

Availability in the collectibles realm has its share of flaws; hence why speculation on a lot of these kinds of books is a bad idea in my opinion.

This is a fun fact only.

How does my use of the term 'opinion' lead you to the conclusion that I was stating a fact and one that was supposed to be 'fun?' :baiting:

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

:signfunny:

Increase for demand on early Inhumans appearances as Marvel is pushing a new Inhuman storyline.

Black Panther and Luke Cage will to see continued interest due to TV/Movie push and speculators.

Harley Quinn will continue to see renewed interest as she is the new "Deadpool".

The Simpsons books might see slight increases as they have been long undervalued.

Speculators will continue to drive up prices on 1st appearances in SA and CA. Long time high grade collectors who are smart will cash out for a nice retirement income.

More rare large collections of 60s DC/Marvel books will continue to appear, each with a headline of unique rare collection of books and a neat story to go with them. Usually with headlines you wont see this ever again.

As the Superman/Batman movies gets closer Frank Millers DK storyline will continue to increase in value to almost stupid levels.

I already have my copies tucked away, so I'll throw out my 2014 "big increases" comic choices. It will be fun for me to revisit this down the road.

No particular order and with little commentary:

Marvel Super Heroes # 12 - It's due.

ASM # 129 - Something will happen with the Punisher movie property.

Dark Knight Returns #1-4 - What fastballspecial said.

Alias # 1 - TV show, still very cheap.

Sandman # 1 - TV/Movie heat or at least strong speculation of. Seems inevitable for a price hike after the Preacher #1 insanity.

Avengers # 8 - 1st appearance of probably the best remaining Avengers related villain.

Tales To Astonish #35 - Homer pick that has already seen big increases but I believe in this comic.

Hulk #271 - Just like TTA35 it's already a very hot book. The Raccoon will make kids go bonkers and fanboys sticky.

UXM #266 - Gambit will become more relevant in 2014. With all the Copper books on fire, this one has been mostly ignored.

ASM #13 - I peg Mysterio as a teaser ASM 3 villain choice. Maybe Scorpion but I'll stick with the fishbowl.

The Cat #1 - For my "NOW you like me" pick.

X-Men # 1 (1963): Out of all the already established big keys, this will see the biggest % increase in the low/mid range. It's still too cheap.

I could easily put Hero for Hire #1, Daredevil #1 and all the Daredevil related keys in here but that seems too easy. Or I just did it anyways and tried to make myself sound smarter than I really am.

Declines? That's no fun, although I am not a believer in the Preacher # 1 hysteria. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong as it's one of my favorites.

Speculators will continue to drive up prices on 1st appearances in SA and CA.

ESPECIALLY Copper. Things will be even nuttier than they were in 2013. Prepare to dig out your Spider-Man 2099s, Sleepwalkers and New Warriors.

Feel free to debate any of this as strongly as you'd like.