• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rips and tears

17 posts in this topic

Hello fellows, I just have a quick question I have a chance to buy a really cheap great looking daredevil #1 for very cheap. The book looks like a VF book but has a tear in the middle of the book about 2-3 inches long, when the book lays flat and in a Mylar you can not even tell, with the tear/ rip if still submitted what would CGC grade this at, I know with out having the book /scan it can be tough, was just wondering a 2.0-3.0 or what

Now, there is no tape or anything, why would something get a qualified for a rip or tear ?

A 2-3" tear is a significant defect. Period. No way around it. The book may look much nicer, but technical grades are there for a reason. The Qualified label grade takes into account all of the other positives (and negatives) aside from that one significant defect. It enables a collector to know what the book would grade but for that defect.

Hello fellows, I just have a quick question I have a chance to buy a really cheap great looking daredevil #1 for very cheap. The book looks like a VF book but has a tear in the middle of the book about 2-3 inches long, when the book lays flat and in a Mylar you can not even tell, with the tear/ rip if still submitted what would CGC grade this at, I know with out having the book /scan it can be tough, was just wondering a 2.0-3.0 or what

So the tear extends for 2-3 inches through the whole book?

I went to the LCS to purchase the book on Wednesday, when looking at the book the tear was far worse than I thought decided to pass since the tear when reaches daredevils head it begins to go vertical through daredevil and then back towards the spine , and they uped the price because of the netflix tv news. So it was a pass, sorry to waste your time guys, thanks for the advice

Don't grade a book with tears! I just got back my copy of aces high #1. Came back a 6.5 due to 2 hardly noticeable tears. One on front cover at the top and one on bottom of back cover. The book seriously looks like a 9.0. I've sent a few other books and have been fairly accurate with my grading but learned the hard way that tears are severe grade killers. I think cgc ought to rethink this part of grading. Just thought I'd throw that out there.