• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Reholder for 1999 Case

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am new to the boards and the comic collecting hobby, so I am looking for advice from those who have much greater knowledge than I do.

I own this copy of Avengers #4 CGC 4.0, and according to the CGC bar code it was graded in 1999. I'm concerned about the way the book moves inside the well and am considering sending it in to get reholdered. I do like that the old case adds a bit of character to the book, but I don't want the book inside to get damaged(I'm no expert in even being able to tell if it hasn't already been damaged in the case over the past 14 years). My question is if a reholder is worth doing, or is the old case fine?

Avengers4401Front.jpg

I apologize for the lousy iPhone picture, my scanner isn't large enough for comic books. Since it is impossible to tell from the picture, the code is 0010001004.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Depending on what you are looking to do with it, if you like the old label and this is your keeper, keep it. If you are looking to sell it or possibly think it could get a higher grade, crack that bad boy out and press it. Either way you still have a keep option. I personally like the old CgC labels

My advice is to leave it alone. Old label books are genuinely sought after for their tight grading and upgrade potential. As a bonus you have one of the earliest books ever graded by CGC. Don't lose the legacy.

Doesn't a reholder keep the existing certification number? It would still be one of the earliest graded books, just in a new holder.

My advice is to leave it alone. Old label books are genuinely sought after for their tight grading and upgrade potential. As a bonus you have one of the earliest books ever graded by CGC. Don't lose the legacy.

Doesn't a reholder keep the existing certification number? It would still be one of the earliest graded books, just in a new holder.

Unless something has changed, Jeff is correct about the number. See Gemma's post in this Ask CGC thread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4230290

Unless something has changed, Jeff is correct about the number. See Gemma's post in this Ask CGC thread.

The number stays but I have noticed the graded date changes. If so, you would lose some of the 'luster'.

Thanks for all the info so far, I'm learning more each day.

The number stays but I have noticed the graded date changes. If so, you would lose some of the 'luster'.

This is something that I really like about the book. A lot of the appeal is that it was one of the very early CGC graded books. I don't plan on selling it and would prefer this to be my keeper, but my big concern is with SCS. I don't treat the book poorly by constantly moving it around, but I'm afraid of the potential for damage.

I guess I can't have the best of both worlds(keeping the early grade while getting a more secure holder).

I'd keep it in the old holder. As others have said that is one of CGC's earliest graded books. I think it's safe enough stored away and looked at occasionally. Just don't take it to the rodeo....

This book was graded so early that it is one of the few remaining slabs lacking a page quality designation (which CGC was quick to add to the label shortly after starting business).

If you think having the page quality designated on the label will help when it comes time to resell the book, then you could have it reholdered and retain the early serial number. Otherwise, you could keep it as is, since these types of old labels without the page quality noted are pretty scarce.

Aye. (thumbs u

:news:

I decided to ask CGC about this. Just got a response back. Only took two months doh!lol

At least I got a response.

My question

Hi,

When a comic is re-holdered, it retains the original cert #. However, does the date graded change?

In other words, if I submit a comic for re-holder that was originally graded on 12/1/06, does that date stay the same or does the date change to the re-holder date?

CGC's response

Hello,

No the graded date won't change it will stay 12/1/06 since it isn't actually getting re-graded just getting a new case