• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay "Global Shipping Program"

21 posts in this topic

I just put a post about the "ebay Global Shipping Program" in one of the smaller sections of this site and really felt that it need raising here.

This is really going to effect selling and buying on ebay and I have not seen it discussed here.

(I apologise in advance if it has been mentioned and I have missed it)

For those who are not aware the "ebay Global Shipping Program" is a way of mailing books internationally, but it means that approximately 20% is added on to any purchase in taxes/ebay costs etc.

Personally I have bought many items on ebay from the US over the last few years for many hundreds of dollars per book...

Now the first thing I look for is to see if the ebay seller mails by the "Global Shipping Program". If this is how they send book I simply look no further as it's just not worthwhile as an international buyer.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you are selling on ebay avoid this method of postage if you want to attract any international buyers. If you do not want to mail overseas then carry on.

Sorry this is a bit of a rant, but I really enjoyed buying comics and the US is the main marketplace which I have now been cut out of.

What do others think of this really nasty way of mailing??

OK, I apologise for bringing up old rubbish.

nothing to apologize for. you asked what others thought of it, I was just pointing you in the direction of some past discussions that I thought you might find interesting.

Since this popped back up again, I feel I should warn fellow boardies about another way eBay forces sellers into this program.

I mentioned in another thread about how eBay automatically includes your new listings in the Global Shipping Program unless you uncheck the small box above International Shipping. After a recent auction that ended last night, I realized that eBay automatically includes listings that you "Send to Auction" in the Global Shipping Program even if the old fixed price listing did not include shipping via Global Shipping Program.

Makes sense since it technically is a new listing, but it's definitely frustrating.

Since this popped back up again, I feel I should warn fellow boardies about another way eBay forces sellers into this program.

I mentioned in another thread about how eBay automatically includes your new listings in the Global Shipping Program unless you uncheck the small box above International Shipping. After a recent auction that ended last night, I realized that eBay automatically includes listings that you "Send to Auction" in the Global Shipping Program even if the old fixed price listing did not include shipping via Global Shipping Program.

Makes sense since it technically is a new listing, but it's definitely frustrating.

I encountered the same thing and dislike it very much. :mad:

More annoying is you can't even create templates that exclude it. You will have to remember each time to unselect it (or edit your listing after the fact)... even when using a template where it was not selected. That's lame. I don't like being strong armed.

I have yet to have the box one has to check or uncheck for the GSP to be already checked for me. Strange, as it seems I am the only one this happens to.

Maybe I don't sell enough and I am that unimportant to them? :shrug:

-slym

More annoying is you can't even create templates that exclude it. You will have to remember each time to unselect it (or edit your listing after the fact)... even when using a template where it was not selected. That's lame. I don't like being strong armed.

This is untrue. You can go into your account settings and permanently turn off the Global Shipping Option. Once that's done, it does not automatically enlist your items in the global program (which is a rip-off).

Brock

This is untrue. You can go into your account settings and permanently turn off the Global Shipping Option. Once that's done, it does not automatically enlist your items in the global program (which is a rip-off).

Brock

Thanks for the info, Brock.

Before this system you could at least contact a seller who only sold to the US and ask if they would consider selling to Europe. Mostly they said yes and added a normal rate. Now you can't ask anymore if they would send normal. You're stuck with this crapy overprized system

This system is terrible.

Just ask the seller if he will ship direct. I send an email asking just this about a dozen times a day. I have had exactly one seller say they would not ship internationally if not for the program so it was use the program or they don't ship.

For those sellers who are unaware how to bill after an international customer has purchased an item with the global shipping program, the buyer just has to request a total. (thumbs u

Before this system you could at least contact a seller who only sold to the US and ask if they would consider selling to Europe. Mostly they said yes and added a normal rate. Now you can't ask anymore if they would send normal. You're stuck with this crapy overprized system

This system is terrible.

You can ask. You have to contact them directly and not through the item page.

Sellers can offer more than one option for shipping internationally. For my listings, I accept both the Global Shipping Program as well as Priority Mail. It's the same thing for domestic shipping -- you can offer Media Mail as well as Priority Mail.

For sellers, it's easier. You package your books up the same way you would with US customers. But I can see how international buyers wouldn't like it.