• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Find

9 posts in this topic

Nothing major, but a couple years ago I was in my LCS and a guy came in with a box of books to sell. He was moving out of town that day and just wanted to dump them. They guy only wanted $5 for the box, but the shop guy turned him down as they all looked pretty off-grade and they had some water damage, what looked like rodent chewing, and other problems. . I followed the guy out, though, and bought the box. I figured for $5, I should at least be able to find something worth having in the 100 or so books. I finally got around to sorting that box out and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. It was almost all DCs from 1965-1970, and whoever it was was a Superman fan. They were almost all Action, Superman, Superboy, World's Finest, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen. A couple Strange Adventures and the like. A couple Gold Keys and Classics Illustrateds were thrown in. There were 2 Marvels, a 1970 monster reprint book and a Thor. I can't recall the number at present, but it opens up with Thor having a milkshake in a burger joint while all these teenagers fawn over him. I actually have that book in a reprint somewhere (Son of Origins?).

Anyway, most of the books are reading copies at best, some are trash, but there were 11 books that were in some form of collector grade, between G+ and VF. There were no major books, no #1s, no major 1st apps, things like that. But luckily, some of the most notable books were in the best condition. Magnus Robot Fighter #22, which was a reprint of #1, is in decent shape, G/VG. Detective #363, 2nd appearance of SA Batgirl, looks great but has water damage on the bottom. A couple giant-size Actions and Superboys were pretty nice. JLA #64, 1st app of SA Red Tornado, is decent also, around VG-. The most interesting book I think is Jimmy Olsen #138, which is one of the Kirby issues with a photo collage cover and great double-page photo collage spread, and I grade it a solid VF, also best in the box. Also in the box are my now oldest books, a couple issues of Superman from 1958 and 1959.

I know finds like this are unremarkable compared to what is usually discussed here, but this was a well-spent $5. It is tough to be disappointed here, but I wish there had been a Flash or two in there. That would've really made my week.

Hmmmm....... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fice cents a book for these? Man, I don;t know! You may have been swindled! grin.gif

Seriously, it is nice they ended up in the hands of someone who might appreciate them. Far better than, as SS said, beintg thrown away! More history saved you betcha!

You got ripped off. I'll bet you could have talked him down to $4.50 for the whole box. Just ask jeffreykli -- he knows what I'm talkin about.

Cold, FFB, cold. 893naughty-thumb.gif

BTW, here's one of the books from that "collection", I guess I'm a full fledged member of the gypsies, tramps, and thieves club acclaim.gif

ArchieJoke2s.jpg

See, the condition is terrible. It must only be worth 50 cents. takeit.gif