• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man#129

14 posts in this topic

Not really any hidden defects. If you look carefully, there are a couple of scratches on Spidey, and a spot above the lower staple. Also there's a spot on the back cover on upper right, and (printer?) ink smudge on the upper right edge of the back at the binding. IMO the flaws are minor. I'll add that I'm the original owner.

I was really surprised at how low a grade it got - which was a measly 6.0. I actually have it for sale on ebay, and received several questions from interested folks asking what's wrong with it since it looks better than a 6.0. I assume CGC knows what they're doing, but I'm at a loss to explain.

One of the morals of the story is: beware buying ungraded books on eBay based on a picture and the seller's claim.

Still, I wonder if this book might actually get a higher grade if I submitted it again. I have books with a higher grade that have more flaws than this one - as far as I can tell (although I'm a mere mortal, lacking the super powers of observation of CGC gurus). I'm hoping the buyer of my book does just that.

smiley-chores028.gif Your scans are too small to be able to provide you with an honest and accurate evaluation.

From what I can see, there appears to be something serious going on in the middle of the front cover. Maybe a subscription crease or some serious impact damage. I would guess somewhere around 6.0?

The book certainly looks much better but the centre of the book gives me grave concerns! :o

If it is possible to provide larger scans I would like to re-evaluate!

Maybe my eyes are better than I thought! (Or my spidey senses were on fire?) I think you have some impact damage on the front cover that may even effect some of the interior pages. This might be the reason for the CGC score. It certainly was my opinion when I tried to enlarge your scans! :o

Maybe my eyes are better than I thought! (Or my spidey senses were on fire?) I think you have some impact damage on the front cover that may even effect some of the interior pages. This might be the reason for the CGC score. It certainly was my opinion when I tried to enlarge your scans! :o

Good eye! I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Looking straight at the cover, or at the scan, it just looks like scratches. I held it at an angle and can see some slight wrinkling of the cover in the vicinity of the scratches. I'm pretty sure it doesn't go through to impact interior pages. I am the original owner of this (bought with my very own 20 cents), and I would remember such damage. (of course, you'd think I'd remember the damage that did occur, but I really don't.). Thanks for the observations - it helps restore my confidence in CGC.

For what it's worth, here's an enlarged scan of the area of the cover with the damage. You can't see the wrinkles, but the scratches are apparent: Punisherflaws_zps15885b76.jpg

P.S.

Someone else suggested a subscription fold, but that is not the case. I guess the mentioned water damage (or whatever it was) was the main problem.

PPS It did sell today, for a price higher than I expected (the comicbookrealm price guide had it at $285; it went for $361). I hope the buyer is happy with it; it's still a pretty nice book despite this small damage.