• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfectionists or Completionists

Perfectionist or Completionist  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Perfectionist or Completionist

19 posts in this topic

Right now I am so torn! I want to get every single Batman comic ever (it's my lifetime collecting goal grin.gif) but I could be so much further ahead if I would settle for less!! I like to get at least a 8.0 for the permanent Batman collection, but nothing lower than a solid 6.0. Now that I am pretty much at the tail end of the Silver age and beginning of the Bronze, these books are a little pricy in that condition. What to do, what to do! Give up my standards and get more issues sooner, or keep the ideals and have a more valuable collection at the end?

DAM

Hey David, Get them in any condition possible, except for restored. you can always trade up. You see how hard it is for me to get my simple Joes in a 9.6-9.8. Getting a Fine or better run of Batman may be your Ultimate goal but since the collection is so vast you could set minor goals within the Major one. Have a minor goal be all of the silver in any condition, and then the bronze..etc...and keep going until you have them all. I would start at the beginning (Det.#27,or Bat#1) and work my way back but thats just me. I hope you get these books and Im rootin for ya. Keep me up to date with how its going. D- grin.gif

I won't accept anything less then a solid structured 9.4 or better (no off-center, miscut, date stamp, writing, misplaced staples, or corner crease)

I don't really follow guide much anymore, but I'd be willing to pay about avg of what a book is currently going for.

Brian

My general guidelines are for 1963-1968, I'm happy with a 8.5 or better.

1969-1976 9.0 or better

1977 and over 9.4 or better.

There are a few exceptions for certain books that are special to me.

For me, 9.4 is sort of the max. If I stumble upon a higher grade, fine but I don't seek out a 9.6 or more. Aesthetically, the difference in the book in anything over a 9.4 is unnoticable to me. Or at least too miniscule for me to care.

If something is sufficiently rare, I will settle for a .5. Here is an example; most of you will undoubtedly laugh but this is the first complete copy I have ever seen of this _first_ series MM Mag (the later two runs are very common). This soaked POJ is as rare as it gets for Disney's!!! I hope no other collectors see this post smile.gif.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1396&item=2157155480&rd=1

Sorry, I can't reply to your post because I'm both and neither. Here's a example:

I love to read comics and one of my favorite runs ever is Simonson's run on Thor from 337 to about 380. I have every single one of those issues (as well as every other Thor book from 200 on) as reading copies. Amongst my reading books, I'm a completist and will buy lower grade copies to complete my run of Thor's from JIM 83 on. Heck, I'll even settle for buying Marvel Masterworks books to cover those pricey early issues of JIM.

I am also collecting Simonson's run of Thor's in graded and slabbed books (I know they're virtually worthless, but I love them and to me they're gold). For my CGC set of Simonson Thor's, I'm not going to settle for anything less than NM+, or CGC 9.6. So here, I'm a perfectionist.

And that's just one example of how my collection is set up.

Like [almost] everyone that collects comic books, I collect according to what I can afford. I think that IF we all had an infinite supply of money most of us would be perfectionists AND completionists. Is there a Spider-Man collector that wouldn''t want a NM+ run of Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 if they could EASILY AFFORD to?

If I were attempting to complete a run of Batman on my present + future income, here is a basic guideline of how I would collect the run:

Golden Age issues = VG and better (depending on the price)

Silver Age issues = F and better (depending on the price)

Bronze Age issues = F/VF preferably VF and better

Modern Age issues = VF+ preferably VF/NM and better

Because of my limited income, and other hobbies (PC games & Console games, Movies, Music, & other books), I primarily collect Bronze and Modern Age books. I collect books that grade at LEAST 8.0. I will "settle" for a F/VF 7.0 if the other books in the run grade higher, and it's NOT a key issue in the run. As long as it's the exception and not the rule, a couple of F/VF 7.0 "filler" books in a run are OK with me. Of course I would prefer books that grade higher, but as I've noted I will make a couple of exceptions because I'm more concerned about completing runs. I guess you could say that I'm a moderate perfectionist, and a radical completionist...at this point in my comic collecting lifetime. Because I'm more of a completionist, I mainly collect Bronze/Modern Age books. Sure I could purchase a few really nice Silver books with the same money, but I would rather have a nice Modern run. I feel much more comfortable reading 100 $2 books, than a single $200 book. It's very unlikely I would read the $200 book, while I would have no problem with reading the $2 book. As a collector, I prefer to get more bang [reading] for my bucks. Instead of owning one small box of books worth hundreds of dollars, I would rather have 20 long boxes of $2-3 books, but that's just me, and my style of collecting.

On the other hand, if I were a comic book seller, I would probably have a different viewpoint on this subject.

I deal comics in my spare time, but have my own collection as well. What I will accept and not accept varies depending on the books in question. It also depends on why I'm buying a particular book. I will buy VF's if I can get them cheap enough, because I know I can find a buyer who will pay guide, and therefore make a profit. When it comes to "inventory", I'd much rather buy several low grade keys than pay too much for one HG "non-key", reason being that major and minor keys are much more liquid, even in lower grades because there is always someone who wants a key they can afford.

But when it comes to my personal collection, I can get very strict. I'm a very visual oriented person, to the point where I'm deemed "superficial"(especially with my choice of women wink.gif ). Eye appeal is more important to me than anything else. If given a choice between a technical 9.4 VS. a nicer looking 9.2(it happens), I will take the 9.2 even though it is technically a lower grade. I've purchased many 9.4's that I end up selling right away because I'm not pleased in some way with the appearance of the book.

In your case with the Batman books, I'd buy lower grade copies of the tougher/more expensive books, and hold them until an upgrade comes along, resisting the urge to sell for any reason except upgrading the exact issue. This way when the right copy comes along you will have a lesser copy you can sell, using the revenues to defray the cost of the upgrade.

I like to have the higher graded book.....unless it's really a "gift" grade (ie. hulk 162 9.8) and when it comes to DC stuff, i have a tendencey to grab the 9.2s or 9.0 for those hard to get books....I know some collectors are big on eye appeal and will actually downgrade for a "nicer" copy...but not me grin.gif

Like everyone else i like the high grade stuff. But i am a silver and gold age collector. High grade stuff is insane. My goal right now is to complete my hulk run. I am missing # 2 and # 5 and sadly, # 181. But The rest are all F or better (except # 1 which i deem to be about VG+). Will I get these 3 book in VF+ or higher? Hell no! But will i complete the run? Definitley. So i guess i am a completionist. nuff' said...