• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Apology

881 posts in this topic

But I guess this isn't the place for the discussion. I'm going to take Beige on face value and give him the benefit of the doubt.

I took Beige at face value long ago..., and wrote him off.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I know a bulk of it in the beginning revolved around the "Kav" user being bashed for being a noob. Rightfully so, since he had it coming with his rebuttals and terrible threads.

HOWEVER… I think there is a point to be made by this. In no relation to him, I do think that us new users really get bashed a bit too much. There's not many ways to please the more experienced users. There are too many fine lines on this forum.

If you post new threads, not many people comment in them unless you really screw up, which in that case prepare to get your flame shield ready. Any opinion of a new user gets brushed off and there are a lot of unsaid rules and inside jokes. (I have no problem with this, just be aware that it can be discouraging to new users)

I work in a paramilitary-style job, so I'm aware I need to be cautious and bring this up gently, because those of you who are more seasoned, mature users don't always take well to newbs like myself.

Any advice you can give so people like myself don't create these "Friday Threads"? Seems most rookies get burned bad or flicker out. Also if this is inappropriately placed, feel free to let me know.

You are not an azzhat,so you don't get flamed.

When one comes on all guns a blazing,who think we should bow to their points of view.They are the ones that seem to meet their fate here.We really are a simple group,who really does want new people to join.Just don't be an azz.

+1

As someone newer, just pick your spots. It is the people that make outlandish comments and pick fights with the Final Five that get slammed on pretty hard. Just bide your time and don't be a jerk.

You'll learn a ton here too.

Who are the final five? Sounds like LOST

Sniffffffff....

Does it smell like points?

If JL is actively posting, it's a scientific certainty.

I was going to say that but than I thought "no, my goldfish is more important".

Send him to me. I need a pizza topping

Why would I raise a gold fish for 15 years, name it golden-flipper, feed it chicken and other fish food delicacies... if I didn't plan on eating him myself?

Sniffffffff....

Does it smell like points?

If JL is actively posting, it's a scientific certainty.

I was going to say that but than I thought "no, my goldfish is more important".

Send him to me. I need a pizza topping

Why would I raise a gold fish for 15 years, name it golden-flipper, feed it chicken and other fish food delicacies... if I didn't plan on eating him myself?

Check and mate (worship)

It's perfectly possible that he just forgot to edit his signature. If he really has had his account suspended then he wouldn't be able to log back in and change it.

Except for the fact that he just got reinstated from a strike, just included that slam on oak in his sig line, just before his heartfelt apology.

Th entire time he was drafting that ban-avoiding apology he could have adjusted his newly formed insult sig line. He didn't.

Signs. They are everywhere.

If that's true then.... :facepalm:

It's perfectly possible that he just forgot to edit his signature. If he really has had his account suspended then he wouldn't be able to log back in and change it.

Except for the fact that he just got reinstated from a strike, just included that slam on oak in his sig line, just before his heartfelt apology.

Th entire time he was drafting that ban-avoiding apology he could have adjusted his newly formed insult sig line. He didn't.

It certainly wasn't there before.

Just before the last strike he got into it with Oak, when he came back the sig line was there. He was only reinstated a few days ago.

That's crazy. Does not seem like this came from Beige after reading prior posts from him. Maybe the Italianboard member hijacked Beige's account? lol.

lol

Thanks for quoting that and laughing. I thought it was funny when I wrote it....but I am easily amused. lol At least someone else got that.

Just before the last strike he got into it with Oak, when he came back the sig line was there. He was only reinstated a few days ago.

(thumbs u

Apology my !

As I'd guess is true for a lot of folks here, I've spent a lot participating in online communities. This forum is the first comic community I've engaged with online, in large part because I left the hobby for many years, only to return about 8 months ago.

When I approached this community, I intentionally took it easy. People can get very enthusiastic when they find a group of like-minded people with whom they can share their passion and can get overly zealous, be that with posting in quantity, brushing up against long time community members, or just being opinionated.

Regardless, my take is that new users have to respect the existing community, learn its norms, sniff out who the quality members are, who the long-term and well-respected members are, and who the trenchantly combative folks are.

It's also a matter of time and letting yourself organically become part of a group through participation. And a matter of staying out of dogfights. And not letting your ego get the best of you. And respecting other people's opinions, knowing when to bow out of a conversation, and keeping in mind that, for me at least, I'm here to increase my happiness in regards to a hobby I love and was absent from for too long.

On the other hand, I feel that long-time members should be glad to have new members coming along so that the community can stay fresh, grow, have new ideas, and continue to thrive. If it's insular and exclusive, it quickly becomes stagnant.

Be patient with folks who haven't seen the ten other threads on a topic. It's still interesting for some people who missed the boat two months earlier, and they can still have a worthwhile or engaging conversation.

Just like individuals are defined by actions, so are groups. Some people are azzhats. Myself, I don't think that turning the flame spigot back on those people does anything for a community. It's just one person being a jerk being met by a group of people who aren't much better when they are crucifying that jerk. Why not just disengage from the conversation, ignore it, and walk away?

I've sat at all levels on a forum, one with hundreds of daily active users and thousands of monthly users. I've had to moderate, administrate, but more than anything participate. And that participation happens with other people. Maybe this sounds all gooey-ooey starry eyed, and I apologize if it comes across as preachy, but those are my thoughts on all this.

By the way, I've read part of this thread and scanned the rest. Did anyone tell the guy, "Thanks, appreciated, it all sort itself out" or that sort of thing?

2c

Noob of the year award.

Oak, get 'im his trophy!

Hey where was my award last year?

(thumbs u

Apology my !

Bottom line, people sincerely wanting contrition make up for all their transgressions. They don't pick a couple, put on a martyr show, while leaving a giant insult waving in the wind. Most people, who are really sorry for their actions, would realize what's in their own sigline and take care of it.

As I'd guess is true for a lot of folks here, I've spent a lot participating in online communities. This forum is the first comic community I've engaged with online, in large part because I left the hobby for many years, only to return about 8 months ago.

When I approached this community, I intentionally took it easy. People can get very enthusiastic when they find a group of like-minded people with whom they can share their passion and can get overly zealous, be that with posting in quantity, brushing up against long time community members, or just being opinionated.

Regardless, my take is that new users have to respect the existing community, learn its norms, sniff out who the quality members are, who the long-term and well-respected members are, and who the trenchantly combative folks are.

It's also a matter of time and letting yourself organically become part of a group through participation. And a matter of staying out of dogfights. And not letting your ego get the best of you. And respecting other people's opinions, knowing when to bow out of a conversation, and keeping in mind that, for me at least, I'm here to increase my happiness in regards to a hobby I love and was absent from for too long.

On the other hand, I feel that long-time members should be glad to have new members coming along so that the community can stay fresh, grow, have new ideas, and continue to thrive. If it's insular and exclusive, it quickly becomes stagnant.

Be patient with folks who haven't seen the ten other threads on a topic. It's still interesting for some people who missed the boat two months earlier, and they can still have a worthwhile or engaging conversation.

Just like individuals are defined by actions, so are groups. Some people are azzhats. Myself, I don't think that turning the flame spigot back on those people does anything for a community. It's just one person being a jerk being met by a group of people who aren't much better when they are crucifying that jerk. Why not just disengage from the conversation, ignore it, and walk away?

I've sat at all levels on a forum, one with hundreds of daily active users and thousands of monthly users. I've had to moderate, administrate, but more than anything participate. And that participation happens with other people. Maybe this sounds all gooey-ooey starry eyed, and I apologize if it comes across as preachy, but those are my thoughts on all this.

By the way, I've read part of this thread and scanned the rest. Did anyone tell the guy, "Thanks, appreciated, it all sort itself out" or that sort of thing?

2c

Noob of the year award.

Oak, get 'im his trophy!

Hey where was my award last year?

Beerbong was supposed to mail it out to you. (shrug)

Bottom line, people sincerely wanting contrition make up for all their transgressions. They don't pick a couple, put on a martyr show, while leaving a giant insult waving in the wind. Most people, who are really sorry for their actions, would realize what's in their own sigline and take care of it.

^^