• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tipping your Postal carrier/ UPS guy.

84 posts in this topic

I have a bitter memory about the mailman and never tip them because of it. A mailman broke up my parents marriage. One year around Christmas everything fell to pieces. Mom blamed dad for just doing what he said. Dad blamed mom for misinterpretation.

I was not in school that day and mom invited the mailman into our house took him into the bedroom and as he was leaving gave him $1.00. Seemed mom was going over the gift list earlier that morning and when she got to the mailman dad snapped, "Screw him, give him a dollar!"

I can hear a drum playing a rimshot. lol

I got a card and inserted 20 bucks in it for my postal carrier. He takes pretty good care of me and all the parcels that contain comics that I had shipped to me all year. I see the extra effort, it needs to be recognized with a thank you.

I have a bitter memory about the mailman and never tip them because of it. A mailman broke up my parents marriage. One year around Christmas everything fell to pieces. Mom blamed dad for just doing what he said. Dad blamed mom for misinterpretation.

I was not in school that day and mom invited the mailman into our house took him into the bedroom and as he was leaving gave him $1.00. Seemed mom was going over the gift list earlier that morning and when she got to the mailman dad snapped, "Screw him, give him a dollar!"

That joke is older than I am!

:D

-slym

That was worse than my bare/bear feet joke.

Every time I see the subject, I'm reading "Tripping your Postal carrier"...

Every year since we got a new postman, I've tipped him. If you go back far enough in my postings, there was a time where we had a postman who threw our packages from the curb to my front door and after I complained, the USPS stop delivering packages to my door for about 6 months (I had to go to the post office), but these days I'm good. :wishluck:

I wonder how many mailpersons got a cash present and didn't accept it.

hm :lol: :doh:

-slym

When it is $25 or your job, probably quite a few.

Er, how would anyone know?

;)

-slym

People talk. :gossip:

Like lizard said, it isn't worth losing that job for a $25 tip.

Part of my job is in the ethics field - that is why I looked it up for USPS. Many employees will ask the question when they receive such things. Some will make poor choices. Not all of them will get caught.

And yes, people talk. A good rule of thumb is if you're engaged in shady activities, don't talk about it, especially on a public message board. But most people can't keep quiet about anything.

I was thinking about tipping my femailman, who goes out of her way to keep my stuff safe and dry. Then I wondered what she could actually accept, and now I've got my answer - not much. She is a very honest, hardworking person, who cares about customers, and she is also a union steward, so probably gets a snootful of defending employees when they err. I did not want to put her in an awkward situation, so I looked up what I could actually do for her. Now, I know.

;)

-slym

Part of my job is in the ethics field - that is why I looked it up for USPS. Many employees will ask the question when they receive such things. Some will make poor choices. Not all of them will get caught.

And yes, people talk. A good rule of thumb is if you're engaged in shady activities, don't talk about it, especially on a public message board. But most people can't keep quiet about anything.

I was thinking about tipping my femailman, who goes out of her way to keep my stuff safe and dry. Then I wondered what she could actually accept, and now I've got my answer - not much. She is a very honest, hardworking person, who cares about customers, and she is also a union steward, so probably gets a snootful of defending employees when they err. I did not want to put her in an awkward situation, so I looked up what I could actually do for her. Now, I know.

I've found that the best thing you can do for your carrier, a "gift" that they can accept and will be appreciated even more than money, is to hand them an ice-cold water bottle or bottled tea when they come to my door with a delivery. Especially during the hot summer months, but also anytime of the year. They're doing a lot of walking, a lot of times carrying a lot of weight, and they need to stay hydrated.

I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

Mr. Pink

;)

-slym

I've found that the best thing you can do for your carrier, a "gift" that they can accept and will be appreciated even more than money, is to hand them an ice-cold water bottle or bottled tea when they come to my door with a delivery. Especially during the hot summer months, but also anytime of the year. They're doing a lot of walking, a lot of times carrying a lot of weight, and they need to stay hydrated.

That's a great idea. I know our local carriers bust their @sses delivering. You've given me a great idea as well. My wife makes these flannel 'beanbags' filled with feeder corn, that you can warm up in the micro-wave, and they really hold the heat. They are perfect for heat therapy, warming up your hands and feet, or for throwing in your bed to warm it up prior to retiring for the night. We've given them to friends and family for years, and they always get rave reviews.

I just tipped my USPS mailman and thank you for this thread.

My wife and I usually gave a tin of cookies or brownies each year but this year I felt it would be nicer to give cash.

My mailman is a good guy who is also a musician and we always talk drums or bands when we see each other.

I feel good to have tipped him money this year.