• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boards: Do Modern Comics Really Need Them?

27 posts in this topic

"ps- anyone knows if putting 2 comics per bag can harm them at long therm?"

Years ago I would put two comics per bag. They were placed back to back with no board. After a few years I started noticing that ink transfer was occurring with the back covers. Nothing on a grand scale but enough to lessen the attractiveness of the back covers. All my books are now individually bagged and boarded.

Did this happened under a certain storage condition?! is there a certain element (humidity, heat, etc...) that produces this kind of effect?!

it's been years i've done like this an dup until now i haven't had any problem...

"ps- anyone knows if putting 2 comics per bag can harm them at long therm?"

Years ago I would put two comics per bag. They were placed back to back with no board. After a few years I started noticing that ink transfer was occurring with the back covers. Nothing on a grand scale but enough to lessen the attractiveness of the back covers. All my books are now individually bagged and boarded.

Did this happened under a certain storage condition?! is there a certain element (humidity, heat, etc...) that produces this kind of effect?!

it's been years i've done like this an dup until now i haven't had any problem...

Books were pretty much in a controlled environment, i.e. basement. The only thing I can think of different from then til today is that they were in those ultra-cheap bags that most of us used in the late 70s - early 80s.

I bag and board with mylite 2s and acid free boards from E. Gerber. That means every book, even the ones I bought just yesterday at my LCS. Is it "worth" the extra money? Perhaps not when it comes to reselling them down the road. But I don't care about that. I love the way they look in mylar. I love looking through my books and pulling out a cover I remember loving but had forgot in the months since I pulled it out to look at it.

So for me, it's all about aesthetics when it comes to my collection.

For my "valuable" books, I put those in mylar/board with a top loader. smile.gif

I do the same. I'm sure it's over kill but I trully love the way books in Mylar looks also thumbsup2.gif I'm still debating Acid free sheets and full backs. I really don't know what a full back is. Sorry I'm still greeen to some of this stuff wink.gif Now my valuable books are done pretty much the same way but stored in smaller boxes to them selves.

Now I'm sure our methods is over kill like I said before but I think all comics should be in at least sleeves with a back boards. I just upgraded my older comics to Mylars and in doing so I found some of them didn't have back boards. Through the years ( about 10-15)of just setting there in their boxes they slid around and some got bent up. These was common comics but it still ticked me off since I like all my books to last forever.

put 2 comics per bag...it's the same as if they had a board (more resistance/strenght) they don't slide easelly and you end up cutting 50% of your bags and boards costs and when you do the maths, it's a lot of new books you'll be able to buy.

No it's not the same...the corners are still unprotected...

If you really want to put two books per bag, put a board in the middle...