• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ha Ha.

75 posts in this topic

My wife told me to buy my own Christmas presents and give them to her to wrap for me. This is our usual Christmas practice.

So I put in a few bids on ComicLink. One was for a bronze age book that I thought had a cool cover, and it is a CGC 9.8. The asking price was $100.00. I bid $92.00 expecting it would probably get accepted.

My bid was declined and the asking price immediately went to $125.00.

Ha Ha. Keep it my friend. Keep it.

My wife told me to buy my own Christmas presents and give them to her to wrap for me. This is our usual Christmas practice.

So I put in a few bids on ComicLink. One was for a bronze age book that I thought had a cool cover, and it is a CGC 9.8. The asking price was $100.00. I bid $92.00 expecting it would probably get accepted.

My bid was declined and the asking price immediately went to $125.00.

Ha Ha. Keep it my friend. Keep it.

On E-Bay, some sellers have automatic offer acceptance/rejection set up. I put a bid in on a comic that was priced at $20 (at best, it is probably a $10 comic.) My first offer was $15 and it was auto rejected. Then I offered $17 and it too was auto-rejected. My final offer of $19 was also auto-rejected and I can no longer make an offer. I would have kept going just to see exactly the offer was that would have been accepted. $19.99 probably. :roflmao:

I have that comic on watch and it has been listed for over 6 months now. I just know someday the price will be lowered and it won't be as high as the $19 I offered.

Sometimes the seller is not crazy for doing this.

I had an X-Men 141 for sale on Comic Connect.

I got an offer about $20 less than asking.

After looking at ebay and other sites for recent sales to see if I could accept that big of a discount I learned that the movie hype has increased the value of the book after I had put up the listing.

I raised my asking price by about $30 and a couple months later someone came along and paid the revised price.

In your case the seller might be wrong but for eight lousy bucks you could have gotten the book you wanted instead of settling for your second choice.

After looking at ebay and other sites for recent sales to see if I could accept that big of a discount I learned that the movie hype has increased the value of the book after I had put up the listing.

I raised my asking price by about $30 and a couple months later someone came along and paid the revised price.

In your case the seller might be wrong but for eight lousy bucks you could have gotten the book you wanted instead of settling for your second choice.

So, moral to the story is: always pay asking price if you want the book?

Interesting concept. hm

In truth. It was not my first choice. It was my third choice. It was a book I added to make it three books, because the shipping charges would be the same for two books or for three. It was a book I really didn't want all that much. Hence the offer instead of an outright "take it".

But I see your point.

So, moral to the story is: always pay asking price if you want the book?

Interesting concept. hm

In truth. It was not my first choice. It was my third choice. It was a book I added to make it three books, because the shipping charges would be the same for two books or for three. It was a book I really didn't want all that much. Hence the offer instead of am outright "take it".

But I see your point.

The moral of the story is to sometimes pay the asking price, especially if you really want it.

If you find a book that is priced to move (below ebay prices) lowballing the seller might cause him to close the window on you if he realizes that is price is too low.

I am semi-famous on here for paying the asking price.

At least I think I am. Maybe no one has noticed.

I often pay the asking price (if it's not too unreasonable) because, sad to say, there are people who will buy a book just because they know someone else wants it, i.e., if they see that it has bids/offers.

Eight lousy bucks can take my family out to eat for a meal, or buy 2 gallons of milk. That's more than a lot of folks make an hour.

If you want the book, buy the book, if they want to do something like raising the price with a good offer on the table, let them hang on to it and gamble.

Me, I would wait a couple of months after tax season, and re offer about 75, if the book was still around.

Eight lousy bucks can take my family out to eat for a meal, or buy 2 gallons of milk. That's more than a lot of folks make an hour.

If you want the book, buy the book, if they want to do something like raising the price with a good offer on the table, let them hang on to it and gamble.

Me, I would wait a couple of months after tax season, and re offer about 75, if the book was still around.

Some people don't think $8 is much. For others it is a fortune. I rarely spend $8 for a single comic, let alone $92... :makepoint:

I often pay the asking price (if it's not too unreasonable) because, sad to say, there are people who will buy a book just because they know someone else wants it, i.e., if they see that it has bids/offers.

I sometimes offer more than asking just to screw with the seller.

On E-Bay, some sellers have automatic offer acceptance/rejection set up. I put a bid in on a comic that was priced at $20 (at best, it is probably a $10 comic.) My first offer was $15 and it was auto rejected. Then I offered $17 and it too was auto-rejected. My final offer of $19 was also auto-rejected and I can no longer make an offer. I would have kept going just to see exactly the offer was that would have been accepted. $19.99 probably. :roflmao:

I have that comic on watch and it has been listed for over 6 months now. I just know someday the price will be lowered and it won't be as high as the $19 I offered.

In your case I am trying to figure out the sanity behind that and I think I have a possible scenario as to how this occurred. I am thinking that at one point he had the book listed higher than $20 with an automatic offer set at around $19.78 or something like that. That way if someone went around $20 their offer would be accepted and the item would be sold. After awhile of the item not selling, he may have just decided to lower the item to $20 without giving thought to lowering the auto-accept price.

That is the only scenario that I can work out as to how that could be.

(shrug)

I have never had a problem finding the same book cheaper when my offer was rejected. Oh well I say then keep my eyes open. Sometimes I get the book in better condition much cheaper.

I have never had a problem finding the same book cheaper when my offer was rejected. Oh well I say then keep my eyes open. Sometimes I get the book in better condition much cheaper.

Suck it

- from everyone

I am so embarrassed for Brooklyn right now.

Yep cause that was such an embarrassing comment by me. What was I thinking??? Dang.

I sometimes offer more than asking just to screw with the seller.

:roflmao:

I understand. Some people have embarrassed Oregon too, from what I've read.