• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2018 at 7:37 AM, jimjum12 said:

I just got this from Blazing Bob's new batch of romance books. This one always caught my eye..... the gal smoking on the cover just always had that "shape of things to come" look to it...with women's liberation. and what not, just around the corner. I was surprised to notice that there was no GPA on this one, only to find that the reason is there are no slabbed copies yet. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN6906.JPG

I've been watching some '40s noir films lately and I'm struck by how many of the women are shown smoking.  Now, granted a lot of these women fall into the tough babe category, but still I found it a bit surprising.  Of course, iirc, Lucy smoked on the old I Love Lucy show, which first ran in the early 1950s.  But then maybe a cigarette company was one of their sponsors! 

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

33 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've been watching some '40s noir films lately and I'm struck by how many of the women are shown smoking.  Now, granted a lot of these women fall into the tough babe category, but still I found it a bit surprising.  Of course, iirc, Lucy smoked on the old I Love Lucy show, which first ran in the early 1950s.  But then maybe a cigarette company was one of their sponsors! 

I watch TCM Crime Noir '30's-'50's flicks all the time, and women smoked equal to men on screen.  Off screen (real life) in the '40's-'50's not so much.

4 hours ago, pmpknface said:

I'm happy for ya buddy!  That one has still eluded me, and with the last few sales it'll be a miracle if I get to pick one up at all.  :facepalm:

The cat is out of the bag on this one i think lol

On 8/29/2018 at 6:58 AM, Microbia said:

This book, long-standing in my collection, just received some slabbage. Is it Mr Cole’s first cover? Overstreet suggests but doesn’t verify that. As a late newcomer to the boards, I didn’t have a chance to go through all 174 pages of this thread to see if it was settled before!

AF95A683-0220-4C1B-A16F-20CDECDCE7BB.jpeg

:luhv: :luhv: :luhv: (Sigh)