• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

6,299 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2024 at 7:40 PM, LadyDeath said:

1_e7b5054fb52c2bb8868b6b6a5259e291.jpg

Red bikes chasing a purple car! So many robberies seem to take place while the sun is setting too. :nyah:  

I wonder if Cole was inspired by the Merrit Parkway in CT. Star was based out of there, and that roadway has a ton of those overpasses. Not like it's unique to that area, just a thought. 

Sample:CT_FairfieldCounty_MerritParkway_courtes

Edited by pmpknface

Time for random Cole book of the evening.  Wasn't sure where to go, but here we are:  Top Love Stories #15.  Currently only 4 on the census with the top being a 5.5.  This is one of those that you always find, if you do at all, with the writing on the right cut off.  It took me a while to find this copy.  

Top_Love_15a.jpg

On 8/8/2024 at 12:11 AM, pmpknface said:

Time for random Cole book of the evening.  Wasn't sure where to go, but here we are:  Top Love Stories #15.  Currently only 4 on the census with the top being a 5.5.  This is one of those that you always find, if you do at all, with the writing on the right cut off.  It took me a while to find this copy.  

Top_Love_15a.jpg

Great cover. Makes you realize how good Cole was at certain times in telling a story with only a cover and a blurb of text. Love the castle imagery (her knight in shining armor). Also makes me think how much smoking was engrained into our society back then. 

On 8/8/2024 at 12:11 AM, pmpknface said:

Top_Love_15a.jpg

Looks like Charlton Heston at about that time. 

charlton-heston-ca-early-1950s-everett.jpg

On 8/8/2024 at 2:14 PM, Professor K said:

Looks like Charlton Heston at about that time. 

charlton-heston-ca-early-1950s-everett.jpg

Good call!  Even the hair is similar!  I'm convinced the movies at the time were a large inspiration for a lot of Cole's stuff.  I can't prove any of it, and it may just be my bias because I watch a lot of old movies, but I certainly think so.  It was proved in the pulp / girlie mag area how he swiped an image of Anika Eckburg from one.

3a97a1a226801ef2db568a115cc0df88.jpg

Popular Teen-Agers #21

On 8/7/2024 at 11:11 PM, pmpknface said:

Top_Love_15a.jpg

Great eyes on this one.  She's got that far off dreamy, wide eye thing going, and his are all smoldering.  Excellent cover I'm not sure I've looked at closely before (thumbsu

On 8/8/2024 at 2:23 PM, pmpknface said:

Good call!  Even the hair is similar!  I'm convinced the movies at the time were a large inspiration for a lot of Cole's stuff.  I can't prove any of it, and it may just be my bias because I watch a lot of old movies, but I certainly think so.  It was proved in the pulp / girlie mag area how he swiped an image of Anika Eckburg from one.

3a97a1a226801ef2db568a115cc0df88.jpg

Popular Teen-Agers #21

Oh yeah sure did. The woman on Top Love 15 also looks a lot like an actress of the time but I can't place her. There were so many of them. Kind of like Donna Reed who was huge at the time. 

Edited by Professor K