• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am under the impression that since Netflix cast Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio, Netflix is responsible for creating their 'version' of Daredevil and for those characters to continue, as well as for those storylines to continue, Disney would have to pay Netflix a producer or development credit.  This is what happened when Disney received the rights to produce Spider-man on television.  While Sony retained the movie rights to the character, Disney gained back the television rights while Sony was in the middle of the Spectacular Spider-man series.  For Disney to pick the series up they would have had to continue paying Sony a fee for creating and developing that series.  Disney being Disney said screw that and developed their own series for Disney XD which debuted in 2012. 

So I could be wrong too, but I'm pretty sure casting and production was all done by ABC signature and Marvel Television, not Netflix. Netflix doesn't own any rights to any characters like Sony does for Spider-man. Netflix was only footing the bill so they would have the streaming rights to the show. Its sort of like how Netflix has the Streaming rights to Agents of SHIELD right now instead of it being on Disney+, except they have the streaming rights to the already produced Defender-verse stuff in perpetuity whereas all of SHIELD will change hands to D+ in the future. I think its more likely Disney won't want to pick up something that has content tied to another streaming service, but if they COULD buy the streaming rights from Netflix for all the shows I suspect there'd be a chance to see a continuation. If not theres still a chance for a soft reboot that doesn't acknowledge the previous stuff, but includes the same cast without having to credit Netflix for anything. 

(Somebody please correct me if I've mispoken)

12 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

So I could be wrong too, but I'm pretty sure casting and production was all done by ABC signature and Marvel Television, not Netflix. Netflix doesn't own any rights to any characters like Sony does for Spider-man. Netflix was only footing the bill so they would have the streaming rights to the show. Its sort of like how Netflix has the Streaming rights to Agents of SHIELD right now instead of it being on Disney+, except they have the streaming rights to the already produced Defender-verse stuff in perpetuity whereas all of SHIELD will change hands to D+ in the future. I think its more likely Disney won't want to pick up something that has content tied to another streaming service, but if they COULD buy the streaming rights from Netflix for all the shows I suspect there'd be a chance to see a continuation. If not theres still a chance for a soft reboot that doesn't acknowledge the previous stuff, but includes the same cast without having to credit Netflix for anything. 

(Somebody please correct me if I've mispoken)

Casting for Daredevil seems to have been done by Netflix. 

The casting directors were Laray Mayfield and Julie Schubert who I am of the understanding were put in that position by Netflix after they had already cast, House of Cards for the streaming network.  Again I could be wrong as I do not know the terms of the contract but Mayfield and Schubert were the casting directors.  There seems to be more of a shared production more along the lines of what Sony and Disney did with Spiderman than what Disney did with ABC as Disney is the parent corporation of ABC while Netflix is a separate company and media platform. 

During the recent press junket for Disney+’s WandaVision, Kevin Feige was asked if the Marvel Netflix shows leading up to The Defenders were canon within the MCU, or if they existed within some other alternative universe. Feige responded with these quotes:

“I look at anything that’s happened before, whether it’s our movies, whether it’s Marvel entertainment TV series, in particular, obviously the comics, video games, cartoons, all of it is available as inspiration for the future of Marvel. That’s the way that comics have worked for many years. So, we’ll see.”

When Charlie Cox’s potential return as Daredevil was brought up, along with the fact that fans were dying to see it happen, Feige remained dead silent as he just gave the camera a deadpan look and no response.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, Muno42 said:

Punisher and Daredevil ongoing on Disney+ would be great. Everyone else from the Netflix shows can be guests in various shows. 

The only challenge with this is 'Disney+' matching the violence of the Netflix Marvel TV shows. PG-13 is the cutoff.

Now if they moved these to Hulu...

giphy.gif.b1c56168c3ed3c8e3055f72768190389.gif

Speaking with Sirius XM, Charlie Cox addressed the rumors yet again. He ruminated on the fact that returning as Daredevil in the MCU would be an inherently different beast than the Netflix show. He feels that they would probably reboot it with a different actor because if they hire him back, "there are going to be some elements that are of course the same." He warns fans to " be careful what you wish for," because it might not "come together in the same way" and "you don’t want to taint what you’ve already got." Read the full quote below:

"What happens in the comics is a writer and an artist will team up for a run of a comic, so they’ll do 10 issues, 20 issues. If there was an opportunity for me to come back as Daredevil, whatever that would look like, I imagine it would be a reimagining of the character and the show. If they choose me to do it, there are going to be some elements that are of course the same. Or they might choose someone else and reboot it all over again."

"You’ve got to be careful what you wish for. You come back and it’s not as good or it doesn’t quite work or it’s too much time has passed. It doesn’t quite come together in the same way. You don’t want to taint what you’ve already got. If we never come back, you’ve got these three great seasons and our third season was our best reviewed. So, the trajectory was up. I am tremendously proud and grateful for what we have."

Speaking with Jake's Takes on YouTube while promoting his latest project, The Unforgivable, the actor was asked which character he would want Kingpin to interact with if Fisk makes his debut in the MCU. D'Onofrio was quick to say Spider-Man, simply because their characters exist in the same pocket of the Marvel world, so it makes sense for the pair to cross paths. Read his full answer below:

"It would definitely have to be Spider-Man one day, I’m hoping. We’ll see if they ask me to do it. Kingpin lived in a world of Punisher, Daredevil, and Spider-Man, so that would be the one."