• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with Moderns when you're done collecting?

23 posts in this topic

I buy, read, and collect modern comics. For the most part, there's only about 20 titles I'm really into and will continue to buy. But occassionally, I read a few issues and learn that I'm not into that title.

Now I'm torn. Do I try to sell those titles that I stop reading and try to make some of my money back, or do I just hang on to them? If I hang on to them for too long, I run the risk of not being able to sell them because it seems that only 'new' or 'hot' moderns sell on ebay.

For example, I'm thinking of giving up FABLES, MYSTIQUE, and SPEC. SPIDER-MAN. Should I keep the issues I have, or sell them now?

What do you do with those issues of titles you no longer collect?

Here's what I do. Every book I buy is bagged and boarded, and stored in alpha order with the remainder of my collection. If I decide that I no longer want to keep a book in my collection I put it into my "to sell" box, and then grade and price them and sell the books at local conventions. I generally offer 25% off my stickered price as an incentive.

In some cases I know the book won't sell at 1/2 cover, those books go into my discount boxes at $1 or 50 cents.

I generally prefer tpbs, but there are some series that I will read as they come out as periodicals and get the tpb or hardcover afterwards, so in those cases I will sell the mini as a set to cover the cost of buying the collected edition. If the series is hot, and I know it will cool before the next convention I will scan and sell it on eBay.

Finally, if I think the modern book will grade at 9.6 or higher and it is done by a creator that I like or is popular I will set it aside for signature series and get it signed at a convention.

Wow.

Just reading the few posts in this thread has already put the feeling of 'throwing away money' in my mind when it comes to even buying new comics.

However, if nothing else, this only goes to reaffirm the methodology that you had better be buying comics that you like to read, otherwise, it sure DOES seem like a waste of money, doesn't it? wink.gif

Since my own return to comics, I found myself falling back to some of my old (bad) habits, including completism and speculating. However, with the sheer breadth of comics out there now, and the prices involved, it's not all that hard to squash those practices in myself when there are so MANY comics I want to read!

If age has done anything for me, it's at least tempered my own poor habits with some much-needed wisdom. Of course, being hammered on here on the board ocassionally helps too! acclaim.gif

Yeah, some of the answers in this thread have me thinking all over again about my newly rediscovered love of comic collecting. It suddenly feels like a big waste of time and money. Luckily, I do read each of my books twice (once when I buy it, and again right before I read the next issue). This makes it more worth the $3.

Still, it makes me wonder why I have boxes and boxes of comics. I've been reading for only about eight months, and I already have 5+ short boxes. Not much by most standards, but considering I had none last Christmas, well, maybe I need to rethink where my money goes. hahaha.

I guess I just want to find a way to get some money back from the investment, while keeping my collection clean (as in not having too many random issues that don't form a long run of a book). Guess the big question I need to answer now is whether or not selling now and making 30 cents a book is worth more than keeping them in my collection for 20+ years and making 30 cents a book later.

This is an interesting thread. I've been collecting for 30 years, have read every book (and still read) and I guess I'm not done yet. I've kept every book and I just can't seem to part with any. I just wish I would have bought more in the early years crazy.gif

I would agree with some of your points, James, as sometimes people disregard certain aspects of _any_ hobby they have interest in. Honestly, if you didn't spend money on comics, what else would you spend it on?

Myself, I have a number of 'hobbies' that I spend money on, and really, my 'free' cash usually does the round-robin thing when it comes to where it goes. If nothing else, discussions such as this can really help to put things into perspective when you look at where you spend your time and money, and if it's really worth it. I guess that's what keeps me from doing silly things like shopping for 'investments', or speculative practices, because I know that my other hobbies suffer when I needlessly spend money on pointless endevours.

I'm enjoying the comics I'm buying, both from an artwork perspective, and a story perspective. I guess if anything, I'm trying to whittle down what comics I buy, by ensuring that they both have strong value in both areas. I mean, if a comic is just 'pretty' with no story...what's the point? The same goes for story. If I want pure story, and the artwork means nothing, I'll buy a book!

I think comics can be the embodiment of both forms of art, and that's the MAIN reason I'm in this hobby again. The day I feel that those are lacking, I'll put that energy into another hobby until I feel comics are deserving once again. There are many reasons why people buy comics, but I think modern comics are particularly important. I mean, I see a LOT of people here talking about the old comics, with their 'investment' or 'market' value, but very little is said about who, if anyone, still buys modern comics to enjoy or have fun with. Modern comics are why I'm back in the comic world again, because they entertain me, and I enjoy the blend of story and beautiful art. Sure, I've got some older comics that I still enjoy, but to be honest, the bulk of my spending is done for the weekly arrivals.

This is also one of the broad appeals of comics; you're not just stuck with one or two choices. There's enough variety out there for everyone, and to be honest, no choice can really be labeled as wrong. It's everyone's personal choice in regards to what they pursue.

I think threads like this are great to help people re-evaluate why they collect or buy comics, because I'm sure we could ALL use that every now and again.

I've spent a bit of time over the past month or so going through my collection and culling it of relative [#@$%!!!] to make it a bit leaner and meaner. Yeah, I'm still keeping just about anything Spider or mutant related, but gone will be around 6-8 long boxes worth of stuff that'll most assuredly never be worth much. I need the space back!

I'll try to sell most of it on eBay, after I've cataloged the whole damned lot, and who knows what'll happen to the half of that which is unsellable. Anyone need runs of the New Universe titles? flowerred.gif

I've spent a bit of time over the past month or so going through my collection and culling it of relative [#@$%!!!] to make it a bit leaner and meaner. Yeah, I'm still keeping just about anything Spider or mutant related, but gone will be around 6-8 long boxes worth of stuff that'll most assuredly never be worth much. I need the space back!

I'll try to sell most of it on eBay, after I've cataloged the whole damned lot, and who knows what'll happen to the half of that which is unsellable. Anyone need runs of the New Universe titles? flowerred.gif

Throw your list up in the marketplace forum before you Ebay, never know who might need what! Plus, might save some fees!

Throw your list up in the marketplace forum before you Ebay, never know who might need what! Plus, might save some fees!

Good point! And you may find someone who'd be willing to trade so you can get rid of some stuff and get some stuff you want at the same time! smile.gif

I'm contemplating posting my want list of reader copies (which is pretty much all I collect - I want them so I can read them, not as an investment) in the marketplace to see if anyone can help me fill in some holes in my collection. And I continue to keep Comics4Kids in business by donating boxes and boxes of stuff that I get duplicates of (from buying bulk lots on ebay) or stuff that I read, don't like, and have no interest in keeping. smile.gif Thank heaven for Comics4Kids! smile.gif

The only modern comics I have came either from trading or from a local used bookstore that sells comics for half-cover price. I'm into collecting comics to enjoy it, but the thought of having to pay $2.99 (or more) per book takes the enjoyment right out of it for me. I enjoy the hunt of finding a cheaper way to get them a lot more. smile.gif

Here's the thing with that.

When all I have to sell is mostly [#@$%!!!], to have the stuff that is the most non-[#@$%!!!] picked off before it ever hits eBay kills ANY chance the rest might have at selling. The cross promotion I figure is key for a lot of that stuff. I'd sorta need the "Why not pick up the Ka-Zar run just to read for $4 when you've already picked up some ASMs?" type stuff to work in my favor.

Course, I'll still probably list em here for grins, though I doubt much will get chewed off.

One thing I've learned from selling books for the last 14 years is that you can never underestimate the drawing power of books that you personally consider to be [#@$%!!!].

I used to joke with my helpers at conventions and pick out a comic (or video or dvd) that I considered to be the least interesting and announce that it would sell within the first hour of a convention. I would take the item, put it in a prominent position and... without fail... they would always go.

The problem that I have right now is cleaning out my collection of the stuff that I have only one issue of or consecutive issues in the middle of a recent run. No one wants those random issues, so finding a way to get rid of them aside from disgarding them might be difficult. For example, I have FABLES 16-29. What am I going to do with those now that I've given up on the series?

I just want my collection to be clear of these random, good for nothing types of runs, but, well, that's mighty close to impossible.

The problem that I have right now is cleaning out my collection of the stuff that I have only one issue of or consecutive issues in the middle of a recent run. No one wants those random issues, so finding a way to get rid of them aside from disgarding them might be difficult. For example, I have FABLES 16-29. What am I going to do with those now that I've given up on the series?

I just want my collection to be clear of these random, good for nothing types of runs, but, well, that's mighty close to impossible.

If you could see how many holes I have in my collection (since I just got back into collecting last year), you wouldn't think that way. I don't collect that particular series, but my want list is about a mile long. Seriously.

I say, post it up and see what happens. You never know, someone may want some of them. One man's trash really IS another man's treasure.