• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boardies vs. Graders

28 posts in this topic

Yes, after all of your comments, I'm satisfied. I wasn't aware that a bend like that would kill a book's grade so much.

Definitely learned something new today.

The "subscription creases" especially when they break colour have a significant effect on the grade of a book, not to mention the stain factor as well (I mentioned that about your Showcase GL book) and adjusted my grade accordingly. whoopdedoo.gif

Overall these books present very well and as long as you are happy to own them regardless of the grades that the books were awarded you should be happy to display them proudly on your wall/shelf where ever! I know I would be happy to display those books on my wall! flirtysmile3.gif

Congratulations!cheerleader.gif

In my experience Boardies tend to be 1 to 2 grades harder on a book than CGC (better that way than grading too loosely in my opinion). I do believe some of that can be attributed to the size on the scans I post. I think my scanner is amplifying some flaws that wouldn't look that bad to the naked eye.

Just my 2 cents,

Mike

In my experience Boardies tend to be 1 to 2 grades harder on a book than CGC (better that way than grading too loosely in my opinion). I do believe some of that can be attributed to the size on the scans I post. I think my scanner is amplifying some flaws that wouldn't look that bad to the naked eye.

Just my 2 cents,

Mike

Hey Mike, you are absolutely correct about the large scans emphasizing the defects. I had a hard time when I first tried to grade books as I prefer the larger scans but forgot to take into account the increased size.

I have since learned to compensate for this and I think my grading is starting to be more accurate. I am still convinced that larger scans provide more accurate grading provided the grader takes into account the size of the scans when viewing the defects!

Another 2 cents! We're up to 4 now! lol

Hey guys,

My method of grading has been I try to establish a grade in about ten seconds. Granted, once I have my initial grade, I go back in and look deeper, but this method, at least for me, has proven to yield grades close to what CGC ends up with.

That's why I was thrown on these. I didn't have the previous knowledge about sub creases. I think getting close to CGC on a consistent basis is finding the depth at which the analyze each book and flaw. That's my two cents. Up to six cents meow.