• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spectacular Spider-Man #20 - SPOILER ALERT!!

22 posts in this topic

Can you elaborate?

OK, since there already is a spoiler alert, Peter Parker can now shoot webs from his wrists exactly the same as the movie. His body is generating the webbing.

He's been disassembled !!!!!!

It CHAOS out there !!!!!!

Once they get the wrist shooters to quit dripping gooey fluid(kinda reminds me of the hostess squad over in the Crisis Thread), I think most of us will accept it...same as most everyone that watched the movies...we blinked once or twice...then said "okay, I can handle that".

How is he going to have that fateful problem of his web shooters breaking or running out of web fluid like he had in every other issue?

Maybe he needs to periodically swing through the drive-thru to fill up. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well I guess this answers the question of whether movies affect what happens in the monthlies...

Jim

sign-offtopic.gif

Don't people complain that after an enthusiastic response by the general non-fanboy public to a comic book movie like X-men and spiderman that the content in current storylines don't resemble anything in the movies, thus making it unrecognizable and less appealing to newbies? So if changing monthly events to mimic movie continuity is a marketing move to snag the new reader, is it so bad? confused-smiley-013.gif It's a dilemma: compromise storyline content for sales or stay true to the character and appeal to noone but a dwindling (dying) fanbase.

for example, we have about 10000 fanboys who recognize the xmen in their old flamboyantly colored costumes vs. MILLIONS worldwide who recognize the X-men in black leather costumes because of the movie - who would you rather cater to, as a retailer/dealer/publisher?

sign-rantpost.gif

Don't people complain that after an enthusiastic response by the general non-fanboy public to a comic book movie like X-men and spiderman that the content in current storylines don't resemble anything in the movies, thus making it unrecognizable and less appealing to newbies? So if changing monthly events to mimic movie continuity is a marketing move to snag the new reader, is it so bad? It's a dilemma: compromise storyline content for sales or stay true to the character and appeal to noone but a dwindling (dying) fanbase.

Darth, could you please explain to us how making Spidey's webbing "organic" is going to increase sales on Spider-Man comics?

It's a dilemma: compromise storyline content for sales or stay true to the character and appeal to noone but a dwindling (dying) fanbase.

Actually Darth I don't have a big problem with the organic webshooters. How long has it been now when the webshooters were even an issue or plot point in the comics? I can't remember the last time but then again I haven't read every Spidey issue over the last 20 years either. Didn't the symbiote costume have an organic web capability? I don't see it as a plot point which diminishes the character...

With that said though, there could very well be long-time readers out there that hate this development. And I'd respect that opinion. I absolutely hate the way Gwen's being portrayed in ASM but there are others that don't seem to mind. I'm pretty confident these "others" are misinformed and confused. But then again they could say the same about my opinion on the organic webbing too...

Jim

First they turn Gwen Stacy into a ho and now this. What's next?

Hmmm

Turning Gwen into "Jane!!! you ignorant slut" versus organic webbing. Doesn't seem like much of a comparison.

As long as the webbing doesn't come out of his butt it's okay with me.

The fanboy in me now wants to find out what the differences will be in the old and new webbing.

Which is stronger?

Will the new webbing still dissolve after a short time?

Will spidey need to drink extra milk to make up for the loss of fluid?

How the heck can he hide the holes from friends and neighbors? Arm warmers just don't sound like a good fashion accessory for PP.

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

I think most of us will accept it...same as most everyone that watched the movies...we blinked once or twice...then said "okay, I can handle that".

The only problem I have with this is that it is not needed. there were reasons why spidey went organic in the movies but this just looks like another gimmick.

The only problem I have with this is that it is not needed. there were reasons why spidey went organic in the movies but this just looks like another gimmick.

Sure it's a gimmick. When is Marvel not using gimmicks recently? But is it a gimmick that will really mean much in the long run? If he grew six arms again permanently, I would understand but in the big Spidey mythos scheme of things, the organic webshooters won't have a huge impact...

Jim

As long as the webbing doesn't come out of his butt it's okay with me.

God I hope Marvel Editorial doesn't read these boards, cause that will get into a storyline in the next few months if they do.

I could care less really about the webshooter thing. Big deal. Its a 2 floor townhouse to the Gwen revelation's Empire State building.

I doubt they will be part of him to long!

The books are so very little interconnected I dont see that as a long term issues.

Except if someone grabs spideys arm and He squirts spidey Juice!

Not interconnected?

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #23 & #24

Written by Sara "Samm" Barnes, penciled by Scot Eaton, cover by Greg Land.

"Sins Remembered" Part 1 of 4. Spinning directly out of the events of "Sins Past" in Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man and Sarah, the daughter of Gwen Stacy and the web-slinger's greatest enemy, embark on a journey of discovery--one that will take them halfway around the world to Paris, and into the sights of a mysterious new enemy.

32 pages, $2.25, in stores on Jan. 5 and Jan. 19.

spectacular23.jpg

Not interconnected?

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #23 & #24

Written by Sara "Samm" Barnes, penciled by Scot Eaton, cover by Greg Land.

"Sins Remembered" Part 1 of 4. Spinning directly out of the events of "Sins Past" in Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man and Sarah, the daughter of Gwen Stacy and the web-slinger's greatest enemy, embark on a journey of discovery--one that will take them halfway around the world to Paris, and into the sights of a mysterious new enemy.

32 pages, $2.25, in stores on Jan. 5 and Jan. 19.

Ok I stand corrected!

Spidey was mutating into a Huge freak in Spectacular but if you didnt read it you never would have know.

I only knew because Avengers Disassembled!

But I saw no evidence of it in Amazing or knights.

Not a strong Connection to events in each title

Don't people complain that after an enthusiastic response by the general non-fanboy public to a comic book movie like X-men and spiderman that the content in current storylines don't resemble anything in the movies, thus making it unrecognizable and less appealing to newbies? So if changing monthly events to mimic movie continuity is a marketing move to snag the new reader, is it so bad? It's a dilemma: compromise storyline content for sales or stay true to the character and appeal to noone but a dwindling (dying) fanbase.

Darth, could you please explain to us how making Spidey's webbing "organic" is going to increase sales on Spider-Man comics?

I'm working on the premise that Marvel is just moving the comics in a direction that would make the character more familiar and recognizable to new readers. Leave Gwen out of this one... but with the webshooters, I agree that it really is not a big deal and it hasn't come up as a topic of discussion since rabid fanboys got all huffy about the organic webbing in the movie. Ever notice who are the first ones to pipe up and are the most vocal about ranting when new stuff happens to superheroes in the monthlies? It's not like a title like Spectacular has had amazing sales figures in the past year that they cou;dn't afford to shake things up. The fact that it is tied into a X-over event like Avengers Disassembled, when Spidey is not an Avenger, shows that Marvel is using "gimmicks" to get more readership. Read the last two USM issues? if read by someone new to comics, they'd take it at face value and enjoy the light read. We would dissect it and pick it apart and then criticize Bendis for his hackery and say that plotline has been used time and time again and this instance is no better.

Whether it actually increases sales on Spectacular, only time will tell. But the fact that they did it probably means this titles may be on the way out the door sometime soon. They already rebooted it when it was dying a slow and torturous death on the top 100. I think this out of continuity title will not have any lasting consequences on the main ASM title