• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic etiquette

36 posts in this topic

Yep. None of your business any longer. Everyone grades differently. Even CGC's grading is an "opinion". Not a fact. This person is allowed to his own "opinion".

A potential buyer will have their own opinion also.

When you sell a book. It is no longer yoursl It belongs to someone else. That someone else can do with it what they please. Ask 100 times what they paid for it. Or burn it in a trash can.

They can also crack, press and resubmit. Or simply crack and reassign their own grade. They can "flip" it tomorrow. Or tell everyone how badly YOU under/over graded it.

If you do not believe me. Just ask "red rocks".

Let it be known- I bought a TOS 57 from this fella which I can link you to as a 5.0, got it and at best it's a 3.5/4.0. He has a pattern. Dentist that gets free books/etc, bullcrap, bullcrap, bullcrap. I bought it off-bay and never bothered to follow up because I considered it the insufficiently_thoughtful_person tax for buying on eBay. I posted the book in PGM once I bought it as well. He normally takes the pictures from an angle that you can't see the small defects.

It's definitely not djbrady4u. That guy sucks the devil's nards.

Yep. None of your business any longer. Everyone grades differently. Even CGC's grading is an "opinion". Not a fact. This person is allowed to his own "opinion".

When you sell a book. It is no longer yoursl It belongs to someone else. That someone else can do with it what they please. Ask 100 times what they paid for it. Or burn it in a trash can.

They can also crack, press and resubmit. Or simply crack and reassign their own grade. They can "flip" it tomorrow. Or tell everyone how badly YOU under/over graded it.

As i said before CGC is great but not official . This guy brought the book and not the number , he cracked the case , because it looks like a 8.5

As i said before CGC is great but not official . This guy brought the book and not the number , he cracked the case , because it looks like a 8.5

Still shady to not mention it's a cracked 7.5.

Still shady to not mention it's a cracked 7.5.

It's a bit shady if it's a pattern, and as another poster mentioned, he is managing to obscure flaws while simultaneously providing ample pictures. That's a general problem with photos instead of scans, while neither is a substitute for having a book in hand, scans do seem to better represent a book's condition. In this case you can't see the scratches/creasing in the logo visible in the heritage scan, and unless some of that is scuffs and scratches on the case, the images might be photoshoped as well.

That said, he is under no more obligation to reveal the CGC grade than he would be to reveal a dealer's grade on a book CGC gave a higher grade to. When was the last time you saw a listing for a slabbed book that said something to the effect of "I purchased this from ( dealer name ) as a VF-, but CGC gave it an 8.5".

Still, seeing as one can purchase a slabbed 8.5 for around $550, I don't see it going for anywhere near asking

I completely agree that what this person did was pretty sketchy, but I have to play devils advocate and suggest that there are many people who do this and if comicshopaholic hadn't pointed this out, no one would know any better. Any raw book you buy at a subjective non-professional grade could have come from a lower grade cracked slab.

I hope whomever buys that book gets a close to 8.5 if they do submit.

You're a good person for bringing this up as a heads up for the community though.

Now im paranoid about all those pretty raw books on my watch list :S

I think it is definitely shady. If it weren't, why not disclose it? And, the analogy made with buying a book that someone believes is a 5.5 and another believing it is a 6.5 is not germane. Whether we acknowledge it or not, CGC has become the de facto grading authority. Can they be wrong? Sure. But, I don't know anyone that has claimed JoeBlow is the authority. Many claim CGC is the authority. I mean, that is the whole point of CGC isn't it? Taking out all of this he said/she said grading? (Yes, I still realize CGC has its faults, but, that is irrelevant here as well). If a book was graded by CGC, you crack it open and try to resell at a higher grade, then you have an ethical duty to disclose that fact.

As for it not being the OP's business. If he chooses to make it his business, which he has, that is perfectly fine as well. He is sharing the info he has, and I commend him for that.