• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jesus in Golden Age Comics?

39 posts in this topic

The cover story in this issue "He walked among us' is a Jesus allegory (and it's very nicely done):

WS_13_zps60a0992b.jpg

That's kind of interesting.

Many years ago I recall reading an article by the editor of a "just barely surviving" science fiction magazine. "Science Fiction and Fantasy"? "Analog"? Can't recall, but it was the early seventies.

The editor said that the slush pile (i.e. stories forwarded "cold" and not in any way commissioned) had an enormous number of yarns that went along the lines of:

Alien comes to Earth

Is shunned by all but a few

Manages a few "miracles".

Is executed by "authorities".

The "reveal" in the story is ALWAYS that the "stranger's" name is a variation of Jesus. Geezois, Hayzus, - you get the thrust.

This editor reckons he got hundreds over the years and spiked all of them.

With good reason.

Jesus (not called by name but pretty obviously meant to be him) appears in a precode horror book from about 1953, I believe it's in an issue of Haunted Thrills but not positive. Along the lines of the stranger who appears out of nowhere and saves the day when the living dead are running amok and threatening to overwhelm the straggling few survivors. :)

11456745645_6867fdf3cc_c.jpg

Eisner wrote a story about Christmas blessings in 1941. Maybe it seems a little ironic since he was Jewish but he knew his consumers would appreciate it.

11456793724_e33b173efb_b.jpg

Interesting that the publication date was after Christmas rather than before … although December 1941 was an unusual month.

Not strictly a comic, but within the December 21, 1940 issue of "Il Vittorioso", the italian comics' journal which is my main collecting focus, there is a full cut-out crib (with instructions) by italian artist Guido Grilli:

2KfUFDEh.jpg

wtoUWLZh.jpg

HIxSliMh.jpg

The cover depicts a fireplace scene which, although not descriptive, evokes a Christmas-like atmosphere, warming the earths of those families which had soldiers on the front, as Italy had entered the war in June. The lettering blurb says it’s a "Christmas special issue", and indeed it is as the added crib brought the number of pages to twelve (usually the issues were eight pages)..

1bj1kAkh.jpg