• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Bronze Runs (DC first)

32 posts in this topic

No war comics yet? Blasphemy!!!

Here, imho, are the best of the DC BA war runs.

1. Our Army at War #208-#273 - Contains what may be the finest DC war artwork and story ever, as Joe Kubert and Russ Heath illustrate Bob Kanigher's stellar storytelling on Sgt. Rock. Best issues? Sample #215, #218, #244, #250, #256, #258-260 and #273.

2. Our Fighting Forces #131-150 - Some incredible John Severin artwork on the Losers tales, written by Kanigher, with later issues in the run shaped but the thoughtful editing of Archie Goodwin. And don't even talk to me about the back up tales. Sooooo satisfying.

3. G.I. Combat #129-151 - Russ Heath and Bob Kanigher dishing up the most amazing Haunted Tank stories. Every issue, particularly #129, #131, #141, #142, #150 and #151, and just insane.

4. USS Stevens - Spread througout many DC titles between OAAW #218 and Sgt. Rock #208, these stories written and drawn by Sam Glanzman are a rare meeting of comic fiction, memory and historical fact. The best? Too many to choose from, but a personal favorite is 'Toro' from OFF #148. Other classics include 'And Fear Crippled Andy Payne' and 'Color me Brave.'

5. Star Spangled War Stories #138 to #150 - This straddles the Silver Age, but any list of best BA runs should include these outstanding stories by Kanigher and Kubert (and Adams on #144) about the German Ace Hans von Hammer.

6. Star Spangled War Stories #183 TO #203 - The very best run on the Unknown Soldier, written by David Michelinie and drawn by a very on-form Gerry Talaoc. Gritty, bitter and very personal, it's one of the best writing runs of the 70s.

AWESOME RUNS!!!! Grab readers off ebay on the cheap, boys, and you will become believers!

Shep

I'm with you on the worth of the John Severin Losers strip, especially when Archie Goodwin as editor was keeping Kanigher's sometimes-too-contrived approach in check. I singled it out in my Overlooked Readers' thread.

I also agree that the Unknown Soldier was never better than when Michelinie was writing the strip. Gerry Talaoc's art is an acquired taste, but fits the mood of the strip.

The Kubert & Kanigher Enemy Ace strip is great, but it remains firmly late Silver Age in my mind. (I guess one or two of the issues were published in the 1970s)

I guess my biggest blind spot is Haunted Tank. I've always had a hard time getting past the gimmick of the ghost of Gen. Stuart appearing and talking to Jeb in every single issue (an example of Kanigher's too-contrived formula). But I have lots of reader issues. Maybe I'll try again on your recommendation. thumbsup2.gif

11. Aquaman 50-56 by Skeates & Aparo, with Neal Adams Deadman backups in 50-52. Skeates turns what had been an excellent late-Silver Age run (beginning in #40) into a new more experimental direction. Particularly take a look at #54, a Phil / Matrix / Vanilla Sky reality-bender ahead of its time!

#11 893whatthe.gif Some DC fan you are, you're Fired. sumo.gif

SSWS 138 - 154 makepoint.gif Even though this starts in the late SA. How could ya omit the Unknown Soldier Issues foreheadslap.gif

I think with Marvel, its X-men 94-142 and then everything else.

The Kree Skrull war in Avengers 89-97 (Vince can't believe this wasnt the first thing you thought of) confused.gif Might be the best Avengers Story ever, its definitely my favorite Roy Thomas story.

Amazing Spider-man 121-146

Defenders 1-16

Fantastic Four 120-123, 155-157

Avengers 164-191

MTU 58-70

Iron Fist 1-15

I went back and checked. 164-191 over 89-97. You're Kiddnig right Vince, please tell me your kidding. crazy.gifscrewy.gif

3. G.I. Combat #129-151 - Russ Heath and Bob Kanigher dishing up the most amazing Haunted Tank stories. Every issue, particularly #129, #131, #141, #142, #150 and #151, and just insane.

Shep

This would have been my #1 - No Love for Weird War Tales Shep?? First 25 Covers of Weird War are cloud9.gifsumo.gif

Shep

This would have been my #1 - No Love for Weird War Tales Shep?? First 25 Covers of Weird War are cloud9.gifsumo.gif

Hey don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE the Weird War, and there are certainly many classic stories, art jobs and covers in the first 25 (I might even say first 40!) issues. But I have a hard time getting past the inconsistency of the those first 25 books... some of the stories are outright dreck, and the first 7 issues rely very, very heavily on Silver Age reprints. Maybe it's the anthology nature of the book - it's hard to get a handle on an individual character, or creative team that made the book truly great for a stretch.

But Weird War deserves heavy props. My favorite issues? 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 18, 27, 29, 36, and 41 - wonderful series... you just gotta pick the high points.

And yeah, hard not to love those GIC books from that era too... was there ever a better BA war cover than GI #145? This is one my favorite pieces in my collection...

16012001121o.jpg

11. Aquaman 50-56 by Skeates & Aparo, with Neal Adams Deadman backups in 50-52. Skeates turns what had been an excellent late-Silver Age run (beginning in #40) into a new more experimental direction. Particularly take a look at #54, a Phil / Matrix / Vanilla Sky reality-bender ahead of its time!

#11 893whatthe.gif Some DC fan you are, you're Fired. sumo.gif

gossip.gif I hadta deduct a few points for the "talks-to-fish" superpower problem! grin.gif