• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Canteen Kate book by Matt Baker

17 posts in this topic

If this post is inappropriate, let me know and I will remove it. I own Canton Street Press, a small publisher. We've just received our second Golden Age reprint book from the printer last week. Copies are either at or enroute to Diamond, Amazon and various retailers. It's also available at www.CantonStreetPress.com. Since I have the book here, I wanted to take a few pics to show. The book is smyth sewn and printed in the USA. The introduction is by Bob Burden. We are always improving the process so comments (good and bad) are welcome. With that, here are the pics...

This is the front cover...

CK01_zps504e056e.jpg

...and back cover

CK02_zps29cde4f7.jpg

This is the title page

CK03_zps5df9eebe.jpg

This is the concluding page to "Yokohama Melodrama" and the title page to "Sleepy Time Girl"

CK04_zps06a3e40f.jpg

Here are a couple pages from the middle of "Tanks for the Memories"

CK05_zpsd1a55220.jpg

This is the cover to Canteen Kate #1 as well as the opening page of a two page Kate text story with a nice B&W Kate illo at the top.

CK06_zps30cdb908.jpg

Finally, we included "The Colonel's Daughter" from Fightin' Marines #15. Not exactly a tryout for Canteen Kate, but this story is from the first Fightin' Marines and is just before Kate's first appearance. It's not all out humor like Canteen Kate, but does use humor in the story. It certainly utilizes Matt Baker's talent for drawing women too.

CK07_zps2e62af98.jpg

Thanks guys. For those that collect these books, you know they are not easy to find. While the Fightin' Marines book can be found relatively easily, the Canteen Kate books are very difficult to find for sale. When they do come up, they sell well above guide. The art is incredible and the stories are good too.

Our next book is the Magazine Enterprises Ghost Rider with art by Ayers and covers by Frazetta. The restoration is done and we just need to solicit the book. It will be out early next year.

Hmmm...I got the Lost Art Books' collection of the complete "Canteen Kate" a couple of months ago. Wonder what the differences are between the collections? The restoration was great on the Lost Art Books one that I picked up, and it's printed at a much larger than standard size. Steve Ringgenberg's introduction was pretty great, too...

BakerVol1_frontCover.jpg

I ordered my copy here:

http://www.picturethispress.com/the-lost-art-of-matt-baker-volume-1-the-complete-canteen-kate/

Hmmm...I got the Lost Art Books' collection of the complete "Canteen Kate" a couple of months ago. Wonder what the differences are between the collections? The restoration was great on the Lost Art Books one that I picked up, and it's printed at a much larger than standard size. Steve Ringgenberg's introduction was pretty great, too...

I've bought the Lost Art Canteen Kate book. It is a nice book. The restoration is very good. I think some of our pages are better and some of theirs are better. The original source material makes a difference to the end restoration. Overall, I think the restoration is comparable.

The Lost Art book has a repeated page. One of the Canteen Kate stories is incomplete because of it.

Our book has Smyth sewn binding while the Lost Art book is glued binding. I believe the paper we use is of higher quality (due to the needs of the sewn binding).

Our book also includes "The Colonel's Daughter" from Fightin' Marines #15, an 8 page Matt Baker story. That story is not included in the Lost Art book. Other than that, the story content is the same.

Our book is 7x10 (roughly original size) while the Lost Art book is 8 1/2x11.

Obviously, the introductions are written by different people (CSP - Bob Burden, Lost Art - Steve Ringgenberg).

Hope that helps. I wish Lost Art Books success with all their publications.

That was an exceedingly gracious response. Thanks for the details on the differences and similarities between the two books. I had heard in the publisher's newsletter that a handful of copies with the repeated page problem slipped out before the error was caught and remedied for the final print run of the book. You must have been one of the unlucky first buyers because my copy of the book is complete and correct. He said he'd exchange it for the corrected version if you contact him.

That said, I'm curious enough now that I think I'll buy your version, too. I met Bob Burden once about 25 years ago...funny guy. Best of luck with your books!

The reproduction looks fantastic. I wish there was more Matt Baker stuff out there like this.

Will you be publishing any other comics in the future?

Yes. Our next book is the Magazine Enterprises Ghost Rider by Ayers with some fantastic covers by Frank Frazetta. Tony Isabella has written the intro. The restoration is done, but we have yet to solicit the book. That will likely be an early 2014 release. We have a few projects after that but haven't announced those yet. We do have some very cool stuff in the works. I would love to do more Baker. We have titles on a wish list, but I don't have 100% of the material yet. To date, all the books have been restored from the copies in my personal collection. I hope to publish 3-4 new books in 2014.

Edit: I didn't expect to have Mr. Ayers first name censored. Sorry.