• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is the best time to send my books in?

29 posts in this topic

I talked to CGC some time back and one of their guys told me during convention season they typically face delays of over 3 weeks shortly after. So i thought I'd turn to you guys for help. When is the best time of year for me to send my books and benefit the fastest turnaround time? I will be sending Modern regular and Value regular. Thanks in advance guys.

I talked to CGC some time back and one of their guys told me during convention season they typically face delays of over 3 weeks shortly after. So i thought I'd turn to you guys for help. When is the best time of year for me to send my books and benefit the fastest turnaround time? I will be sending Modern regular and Value regular. Thanks in advance guys.

What people are saying to you is there is no real "best" time. It's true they do get even MORE backed up when conventions are in high gear. But what difference really does it make if you sit on the books for three weeks waiting to send them in or CGC has them and it takes an extra three weeks?

Now is as good a time as any. At least once CGC has them they are in line. The services you have picked are running 60 business days or 3 months calendar turn around. What's another couple of weeks?

I usually send my books in on Saturdays when I can drop them off at the post office in person and make sure that everything is done right and everything is processed correctly. I usually go around 1PM.

I usually send my books in on Saturdays when I can drop them off at the post office in person and make sure that everything is done right and everything is processed correctly. I usually go around 1PM.

Ohhhhhhh, I see what you did there. You rascal

Out of all the smart-arse remarks, this one is the best. :applause:

I find it easier to hand my packages to the mail carrier when he/she delivers to my house. They scan them right there and I don't have to make a trip to the PO

Believe it or not, a time existed when Steve Borock would walk around handing out coupons for 10 free submissions when they first opened their doors. Steve told me the offer initially met with more rejection than acceptance.

The times they have a changed.

Believe it or not, a time existed when Steve Borock would walk around handing out coupons for 10 free submissions when they first opened their doors. Steve told me the offer initially met with more rejection than acceptance.

I think they even offered free submissions.

Dealers were skeptical. Some thought that CGC would switch out their books, some thought it was a ruse. Funny times! lol

I not only believe it, I was one of "them" I believe all of the Overstreet Advisors were given 10 free submissions coupons. A lot - probably most - were skeptical of the service. I never used mine. When I finally made my first submissions years later the coupons had long since expired.

Times have changed indeed. I send in lots of books now.

Remember this from a January, 2006 newsletter

http://notes.www.collectors-society.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=343

Expanded Turnaround Time Guarantee on CGC Submissions

Posted: 1/17/2006

CGC is extending its guarantee on turnaround times. The guarantee will now apply to all regular grading tier submissions including magazine submissions. All submissions are automatically eligible for this guarantee, and submitters do not need to make special note on their submission invoice.

We will also continue to guarantee Modern tier submissions at an expedited turnaround time of just 15 business days.

Should CGC fail to meet its stated turnaround time schedule, shown below, the submitter will receive a 20% credit on grading fees for each book on the late submission invoice. This offer is valid on all books received before March 1, 2006.

Turnaround times will be guaranteed based on the following schedule:

Comics Tier Item will ship from CGC on or before

Economy 40 business days from receipt

Standard 15 business days from receipt

Express 5 business days from receipt

Walkthru Same-day as received

Modern 15 business days from receipt

Magazine Tier Item will ship from CGC on or before

Magazine Economy 25 business days from receipt

Magazine Standard 15 business days from receipt

Magazine Express 5 business days from receipt

Magazine Walkthru Same-day as received

And from October, 2006

Guaranteed Turnaround Time on CGC Submissions

Posted: 10/12/2006

Effective October 15, 2006, CGC will guarantee turnaround times on all regular grading tier submissions including magazine submissions until January 31, 2007. All submissions are automatically eligible for this guarantee, and submitters do not need to make special note on their submission invoice.

CGC has worked to improve efficiency in the certification process while adding new graders to its team. For the past year, virtually every submission has been on schedule, and CGC will offer guaranteed turnaround times on submissions during this promotional period.

Steve Borock, CGC President and Primary Grader comments, “Since we last did this guarantee, collectors have been asking for it again. Now that we have finished our move into our state-of-the-art offices, there’s no reason we can’t offer a guarantee again. I truly believe that if a submission is late, submitters should get something back.”

Steve Borock, CGC President and Primary Grader comments, “Since we last did this guarantee, collectors have been asking for it again. Now that we have finished our move into our state-of-the-art offices, there’s no reason we can’t offer a guarantee again. I truly believe that if a submission is late, submitters should get something back.”

Steve was and still is the consummate PR guy.

To the OP, if you look at the current turnaround times thread, you will get a better idea of what the timing is like on the variety of service levels based on what other boardies have recently submitted. I can say that submissions I made in 2013 has been far better in terms of turnaround than 2012 and 2011.

Oh my god, that is RICH!!! I will enjoy a laugh for the entire day after reading that. Thanks for that!

And from October, 2006

Guaranteed Turnaround Time on CGC Submissions

Posted: 10/12/2006

Effective October 15, 2006, CGC will guarantee turnaround times on all regular grading tier submissions including magazine submissions until January 31, 2007. All submissions are automatically eligible for this guarantee, and submitters do not need to make special note on their submission invoice.

CGC has worked to improve efficiency in the certification process while adding new graders to its team. For the past year, virtually every submission has been on schedule, and CGC will offer guaranteed turnaround times on submissions during this promotional period.

Remember when the increased rates were meant to drive down TATs?

Remember when the charge for graders' notes was meant to drive down TATs?

Remember when changing the years for modern tier and the increased rates were meant to drive down TATs?

Fond memories.