• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGA vs CGC Sales value same grade same comic.

21 posts in this topic

I don't know about prices since I don't follow CGG/PGA sales.

But there are plenty of documented cases where people have bought CGG books and found out they were restored. gossip.gif

poke2.gif

But there are plenty of documented cases where people have bought CGG books and found out they were restored. gossip.gif

poke2.gif

I'm an avid fan (I know, old news) of both CGC and PGA/CGG. We all know there are downsides to both, although their problems are unlike each others. I have to assume that the documented cases of missed restoration at CGG/PGA has to have been rectified by now. Even it they weren't the greatest at spotting restoration before, after a year or so of experience AND being watched and scrutinized so closely, I can only assume that they must have increased their skills in detection by now. Personally, I am not worried about it, but then again, I am not submitting anything valued at over $300 either. Yeah, with CGC we have higher costs and extremely longer turnaround times. More old news.

But regarding the question, I have sold similar books in CGC and CGG and on average the CGC books do sell for higher prices, at least on more common books (ASM,X-Men) but less seen titles are closer to even. When submitting, you have a better chance on receiving a bump up in grade with CGC. Adding to that the better acceptance of the marketplace, CGC is the preferred choice. However, if you don't want to wait a third of A YEAR to get your books back to then place on the market, CGG/PGA is a nice alternative, and saves you money too, especially on Economy level books. As always, I say go for both. ----------Sid

P.S. Michael_JC hi.gifheadbang.gif

poke2.gif

For every PGA book with missed restoration, you can find 100 CGC books with the same, but we must not say that here. SHH! 893naughty-thumb.gif

sleeping.gif

For every PGA book with missed restoration, you can find 100 CGC books with the same, but we must not say that here. SHH! 893naughty-thumb.gif

I've only seen one example myself--a Batman 11 with "artifically aged" and trimmed edges--and that's the only example that has been undisputably shown to be a case of missed restoration on CGC's part (Borock confirmed it after it was pointed out on the boards).

I'm sure there are plenty of examples where CGC has missed restoration that I've not seen. I suspect they miss a lot of very minor trims, for example, but it's hard to verify it. However, to say the ratio of PGA to CGC instances of missed restoration is 1 to 100 sounds like a gross exaggeration unless you've got some case studies to back it up. Care to share some evidence of the multitude of CGC books with missed restoration you're referring to? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

When submitting, you have a better chance on receiving a bump up in grade with CGC. Adding to that the better acceptance of the marketplace, CGC is the preferred choice.

I had seen many PGA/CGG books but had never own one until recently. I finally bought a mid grade TOS 49 CGG 6.5 and I have to say it is the worst example of a 6.5 I have seen. Don't get me wrong this is an isolated incident even from what I had seen. I actually bought the book hoping to resubmit it to CGC for a better grade.

I also must say, I like the feel of the CGG cases better. They feel more rigid....this is obviously just to share my one experience with the purchase of a CGG book. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

When submitting, you have a better chance on receiving a bump up in grade with CGC. Adding to that the better acceptance of the marketplace, CGC is the preferred choice.

I had seen many PGA/CGG books but had never own one until recently. I finally bought a mid grade TOS 49 CGG 6.5 and I have to say it is the worst example of a 6.5 I have seen. Don't get me wrong this is an isolated incident even from what I had seen. I actually bought the book hoping to resubmit it to CGC for a better grade.

I also must say, I like the feel of the CGG cases better. They feel more rigid....this is obviously just to share my one experience with the purchase of a CGG book. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Just curious, but was that the only 6.5 graded book you've ever bought? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A 6.5 grade allows quite an accumulation of flaws. . .

Just curious, but was that the only 6.5 graded book you've ever bought? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

A 6.5 grade allows quite an accumulation of flaws. . .

Great point, David ...

Scans, please... let us judge for ourselves, and in so doing, judge you too devil.gif

I doubt if the ratio is that high, even given that CGC probably receives 100 submissions for every book submitted to CGG/PGA

I doubt if the ratio is that high, even given that CGC probably receives 100 submissions for every book submitted to CGG/PGA

I recently bought a X-Men #51 PGA 9.0 w/White pages on eBay for $78.99. If it were CGC it would have sold for $120-$150. Beautiful book though.

Michael JC's postings only relate to defending CGG/PGA so his comments need to be taken into context. gossip.gif

Anyone have a web site for PGA? (sorry, Im new)

Update:

I found it, its www.PGAComics.com and its purely god-awful. If they paid more than 3 dollars for it they got ripped off. Dead links, no email address, fuzzy link pics, not to mention irrelevant stock-photos. Why would anyone check out CGC's web site, and the PGA's and send their money to PGA? Its truly embarrassing...go check it out and tell me you couldn't have made that site with a Frontpage template....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think it's fair to cut them up like that. I Use both CGC and PGA so I am not a sympathizer, but let's keep a level playing field. I don't even know what a "Frontpage template" is, but i can still grade comics effectively yay.gif and sell them angel.gif, so what is your point? I know this may cause a huge groundswell of protest against me, but fair is fair.... tonofbricks.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think it's fair to cut them up like that. I Use both CGC and PGA so I am not a sympathizer, but let's keep a level playing field. I don't even know what a "Frontpage template" is, but i can still grade comics effectively yay.gif and sell them angel.gif, so what is your point? I know this may cause a huge groundswell of protest against me, but fair is fair.... tonofbricks.gif

First of all, I have nothing against PGA/CGG. I know a lot of people who use them to grade lesser books and who send their major keys to CGC. I don't know if that's a smart thing to do or not, because it seems to me that if you're planning to resell them, you get a higher price from CGC-graded books, so why send any of them to PGA? And the reason for CGC books getting higher sales is CGC's track record in the market thus far. They were the first one out of the gate, garnered attention from the whole hobby, have done excellently with publicity, marketing, and PR, remain the industry leader, and none of the other competitors has done a lot to pose a real threat to them.

I think the point Reyk is making is that if you are going to promote yourself as a professional business, then your web site (which is your primary "face" to potential customers) should be professional looking. I have to agree after going to look at it, it's odd that there is no email link, except in the Contact Us page, which is a form template not a true link, and it has yellow lettering against a pale yellow background, nearly impossible to read! I also found that when I tried to click on the left-hand navigation links, the only thing that came up was the "Guarantee" page, no matter which link I clicked on. Frustrating. That type of poor attention to detail instantly casts doubt into my mind and undermines my confidence in the company. If they can't bother themselves to produce a decent, functional web site, why should I trust them to be able to competently grade my comics and detect restoration? I'm not saying they can't do that, but I agree with Reyk that they need to present a better "face" to potential customers.

As I have said before, I use both CGC and PGA and am quite pleased with both overall. BUT, as far as why sending books to PGA when you can get a higher price if CGCed? Very easy. Turnaround time. I have to ask myself, if I could sell a book for $100 but have to wait four months to get it back from CGC, or sell it for $75 but just wait one month to get it back from PGA, which is better? Don't forget, your money is tied up at CGC's office for a looooong time. You can turn around your money roughly four times with PGA as compared to once with CGC. THAT is why in SOME cases PGA is without doubt the better choice, plus they are cheaper. And this is why having both to choose from is an advantage to us all.

However, and Daniel I hope you are reading this, your website absolutely sucks. It was much better before this new blue format. But it has never really been good. I think you guys should spend the time and money and get that site looking good. Forget the amateurs that may work for cheap. Spend the money and fix up your site. As a repeat customer I have to say that your product is good, but you can surely not tell by the look of your website. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif ---------Sid