• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And we have a winner...

87 posts in this topic

Can't imagine anyone buying off ebay without reading the description (unless there isn't any).

if you can't imagine people buying off ebay without reading a description then you lack imagination.

:roflmao:

:confused:

It only makes sense to read everything before plunking down money. Like maybe the title can't accomodate all the details, esp. if it's not brand new.

I have logged on to ebay and bought something with 10 seconds to go, what I got was not CGCd as advertised as in the title.

I claimed, got a refund and left neg feedback for wasting my time (thumbs u

Aren't you afraid of retaliatory feedback? Ebay doesn't always investigate to remove unfair feedback.

At best, what you're doing is very annoying for people who are searching for something else.

Either way, you're unlikely to convince people in this thread that it's acceptable behaviour.

It's a bit annoying when other sellers do it, I admit. But since I also do it, who am I to complain?

I'm not trying to convince people that it's acceptable, just trying to explain why other sellers do it, myself included. At least that's my point of view.

What's you eBay username?

I have logged on to ebay and bought something with 10 seconds to go, what I got was not CGCd as advertised as in the title.

Aren't you afraid of retaliatory feedback? Ebay doesn't always investigate to remove unfair feedback.

Sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers. If you try to "mask" negative feedback inside a positive then the buyer can get it removed. . It's been that way for a very long time - several years at least

Can't imagine anyone buying off ebay without reading the description (unless there isn't any).

What time was wasted if you didn't spend any to even to read the auction? lol

I've got no problem with the refund if you can argue it is deceptive - get your money back. It seems a bit overzealous to neg someone for keyword spamming that resulted in a sale.....if you didn't spend any time looking at the auction.

2c

Yes, the title was misleading. But saying on the description that it was an imitation absolves me, I think.

Well, you think wrong. Not only is key-word spamming against eBay policies, it's also the territory of the snake oil salesman.

Keyword spamming is not allowed...on paper. Know of anyone who got suspended for doing this?

I've done worse title-pimping.

I'm sure you have.

And I also wonder what other 'small' misrepresentations you've been party to? Hell, if you can justify them to yourself through some convoluted grey logic, what's the harm?

I've said title-pimping so it's limited to just the title. I've always used the description to indicate if the item is "unbranded" or if it has any defect that I know of. That was why I've said I didn't receive complaints for these items. Can't imagine anyone buying off ebay without reading the description (unless there isn't any).

lol I was wondering if you'd actually come back and try to defend yourself. (thumbs u

At best, what you're doing is very annoying for people who are searching for something else.

Either way, you're unlikely to convince people in this thread that it's acceptable behaviour.

It's a bit annoying when other sellers do it, I admit. But since I also do it, who am I to complain?

I'm not trying to convince people that it's acceptable, just trying to explain why other sellers do it, myself included. At least that's my point of view.

+1

Can we get your Ebay ID?

I've got no problem with the refund if you can argue it is deceptive - get your money back. It seems a bit overzealous to neg someone for keyword spamming that resulted in a sale.....if you didn't spend any time looking at the auction.

2c

I had to spend time going through the claiming process, packing the book and driving to the post office to send it back (shrug)

I will leave negative all day for people that waste my time with misleading auction titles :makepoint:

+1

Can we get your Ebay ID?

Want to investigate how much I "keyword spam?" I've done it on three different items.

Surprised? Ok, there were a few multiple auctions among them them.

1. Harry Potter fake figures discussed earlier.

2. Marvel Legends gold Iron Man I've listed 3 times (also mentioned earlier).

3. Batman Adventures toy set from local fast food restaurant Jollibee.

Of course you haven't heard of Jollibee. So what do I do to attract those who collect similar fast food toys? I had to add "mcdonalds kfc bk." Sold a few sets. One complaint was the figures were smaller than expected. It was a playset so naturally the figures were small. I provided a size for the playset though.

I think this best illustrates my need to "keyword spam." My use of the relatively vague word "unbranded" was a bigger crime.

Not to worry, I've mostly sold toys and never attempted to sell comics. The simple logic is that US buyers can readily find comics within their own country so why pay extra postage to an overseas seller? So why bother selling them?

Now to the question at hand: knowing my ebay name is moot because of my next reply...

Sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers. If you try to "mask" negative feedback inside a positive then the buyer can get it removed. . It's been that way for a very long time - several years at least

I totally forgot about the seller being unable to leave a neg. The only time I use ebay the past few years was to check on prices. My job now leaves me little time to do anything else.

Should've said "But since I also used to do it." It's like I'm living in the past. Good old days.

I guess this settles everything. ;)

2c

I had to spend time going through the claiming process, packing the book and driving to the post office to send it back (shrug)

I will leave negative all day for people that waste my time with misleading auction titles :makepoint:

tumblr_mw2ca2n0Pe1r93xiko1_500.gif

+1

Can we get your Ebay ID?

Want to investigate how much I "keyword spam?" I've done it on three different items.

Surprised? Ok, there were a few multiple auctions among them them.

1. Harry Potter fake figures discussed earlier.

2. Marvel Legends gold Iron Man I've listed 3 times (also mentioned earlier).

3. Batman Adventures toy set from local fast food restaurant Jollibee.

Of course you haven't heard of Jollibee. So what do I do to attract those who collect similar fast food toys? I had to add "mcdonalds kfc bk." Sold a few sets. One complaint was the figures were smaller than expected. It was a playset so naturally the figures were small. I provided a size for the playset though.

I think this best illustrates my need to "keyword spam." My use of the relatively vague word "unbranded" was a bigger crime.

Not to worry, I've mostly sold toys and never attempted to sell comics. The simple logic is that US buyers can readily find comics within their own country so why pay extra postage to an overseas seller? So why bother selling them?

Now to the question at hand: knowing my ebay name is moot because of my next reply...

Is that a typo? I searched eBay for "moot" but couldn't find any listings.

And here we go again...sigh.

I have an FF1 listed at £2500, and I get an offer of £2501 - how is that even possible ?

Two messages from the guy -

is there any room for me to make a profit on this if i was to resell after giving u the offer agreed in principal. ?

look forward to doing business with u. i am new to this site and may have some comics of interest to u, i have a very good collection. if there is anything ur after, contact me and i will see if i can accomodate u.

followed by...

what condition is ur fantastic four issue 1 in my friend.

and which year is this copy ??

Are these people serious...or deluded...or what ?

Lord preserve us.

Sounds like a DC collector.

And here we go again...sigh.

I have an FF1 listed at £2500, and I get an offer of £2501 - how is that even possible ?

Two messages from the guy -

is there any room for me to make a profit on this if i was to resell after giving u the offer agreed in principal. ?

look forward to doing business with u. i am new to this site and may have some comics of interest to u, i have a very good collection. if there is anything ur after, contact me and i will see if i can accomodate u.

followed by...

what condition is ur fantastic four issue 1 in my friend.

and which year is this copy ??

Are these people serious...or deluded...or what ?

Lord preserve us.

Sounds like a DC collector.

:applause:

Worst seller I think I've come across in a long time - guy puts up a Batman # 232 he describes as "Condition "in my opinion" is FN++/VF" - now, fair enough I should know better by now, but this kind of thing happens sometimes, and if a book is significantly over-graded, sellers are usually perfectly reasonable about it.

Not this guy - email exchange (through ebay messages) goes like this -

Me :

"The condition of this item is absolutely not as was described by the seller. I have pointed this out to the seller, and he has refused to help."

Seller's message:

"I clearly state that i "do NOT issue refunds" I specifically stated the condition is "my opinion" and that buyers will need to look at the pictures provided and judge for themselves. Buyer went ahead and bought item , later buyer sends a message stating that the condition is not what i claim to be. That is his point of view or opinion , i can't issue refunds just because your opinion differs from mine . That is just not on and that is not how i conduct my ebay business . No refund will be issued . "

Me :

"I would be willing to accept a partial refund of 80 Australian Dollars. Otherwise I would like to return this item for a full refund as the comic is not as described. "

Seller's message:

"I'm sorry , that is unacceptable. You can't buy something and then ask for a portion of your money back . I CLEARLY stated in the description to judge for yourself , if you were unsure about the condition , then you should have asked for more pictures . The condition i gave is just a general idea which of course is my own judgement. Just because you disagree with me does not mean you're judgement is right. By the same notion , how would you feel if i bought one of your comics and then said ; i simply don't agree with your grading , does that mean i'm entitled for a portion of the price back ? OF COURSE NOT ! a buyer should look at the pictures provided and see if the item is of you're desire. I'm sorry there is just no way i will refund you any amount, if everyone does this then seller's will be out of business. "

Seller's message:

"So by you not responding i guess we now understand each other ? Or is it just a failed attempt to extract money from me ? Either way please end this case now and forget about this . Thank you PS ( To Ebay ) : Please release my funds on paypal account since they were locked when the case was opened. "

Me :

"When the required number of days have passed in the resolution centre we will ask ebay for your return address and will post the item back to you."

Seller's message:

"What do you mean ? There will be NO refund , end of story . I clearly state in my return policy i don't except refunds ."

Not surprisingly, ebay refunded my money upon receipt - why do people not understand the rules ?

I leave feedback :

Incompetent, immature, insulting seller who doesn't understand ebay rules.

His response -

TROLL ! ignore

Follow up by qscomics -

A Troll with over 10,000 & 100% feedback...yes, of course - learn to grade son.

I know I'm being obtuse, but it's like the guy wants to get a terrible reputation, It's not like I'm the only one saying these things to him....

Worst seller I think I've come across in a long time - guy puts up a Batman # 232 he describes as "Condition "in my opinion" is FN++/VF" - now, fair enough I should know better by now, but this kind of thing happens sometimes, and if a book is significantly over-graded, sellers are usually perfectly reasonable about it.

Not this guy - email exchange (through ebay messages) goes like this -

Me :

"The condition of this item is absolutely not as was described by the seller. I have pointed this out to the seller, and he has refused to help."

Seller's message:

"I clearly state that i "do NOT issue refunds" I specifically stated the condition is "my opinion" and that buyers will need to look at the pictures provided and judge for themselves. Buyer went ahead and bought item , later buyer sends a message stating that the condition is not what i claim to be. That is his point of view or opinion , i can't issue refunds just because your opinion differs from mine . That is just not on and that is not how i conduct my ebay business . No refund will be issued . "

Me :

"I would be willing to accept a partial refund of 80 Australian Dollars. Otherwise I would like to return this item for a full refund as the comic is not as described. "

Seller's message:

"I'm sorry , that is unacceptable. You can't buy something and then ask for a portion of your money back . I CLEARLY stated in the description to judge for yourself , if you were unsure about the condition , then you should have asked for more pictures . The condition i gave is just a general idea which of course is my own judgement. Just because you disagree with me does not mean you're judgement is right. By the same notion , how would you feel if i bought one of your comics and then said ; i simply don't agree with your grading , does that mean i'm entitled for a portion of the price back ? OF COURSE NOT ! a buyer should look at the pictures provided and see if the item is of you're desire. I'm sorry there is just no way i will refund you any amount, if everyone does this then seller's will be out of business. "

Seller's message:

"So by you not responding i guess we now understand each other ? Or is it just a failed attempt to extract money from me ? Either way please end this case now and forget about this . Thank you PS ( To Ebay ) : Please release my funds on paypal account since they were locked when the case was opened. "

Me :

"When the required number of days have passed in the resolution centre we will ask ebay for your return address and will post the item back to you."

Seller's message:

"What do you mean ? There will be NO refund , end of story . I clearly state in my return policy i don't except refunds ."

Not surprisingly, ebay refunded my money upon receipt - why do people not understand the rules ?

I leave feedback :

Incompetent, immature, insulting seller who doesn't understand ebay rules.

His response -

TROLL ! ignore

Follow up by qscomics -

A Troll with over 10,000 & 100% feedback...yes, of course - learn to grade son.

I know I'm being obtuse, but it's like the guy wants to get a terrible reputation, It's not like I'm the only one saying these things to him....

Out him or it didn't happen...

Here's the original listing -

Bat 232

One of those books that looks good in the scan, but when you get it and hold it up to the light, it kind of looks like the guy sat on it before shipping it, if you know what I mean.

In complete contrast, I just got a More Fun # 57 from someone who described it in great detail, but missed the archival tape inside the spine and a rather large tear seal inside the cover. I want the book anyway, but when prompted, he straight away offers me $150 back...that's what I call a motivated and conscientious seller.