• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic related goals for 2014?

53 posts in this topic

Go to two or three cons (depending on guests). Maybe get a sketch or two.

Get that one last piece of OA to complete my initial collecting goals and take a step back. Would still love to have a sketch from Balent, Wagner or O'Neill but I don't see that happening in 2014.

Work on not being so bothered by the ones that got away.

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Cadenca Art is having a sale, and I believe Lemire's art is discounts right now. Might be able to check it off the 2013 list if you hurry!

Yeah I noticed that right after I plonked down some money for Black Science art and was a bit bummed. If I bought more OA so soon I'd be in a bit of trouble with the bf (tsk)

K

For anyone wanting to go to a new show and is totally turned off by the idea of NYCC or SDCC, I think ECCC in Seattle is the absolute perfect con to hit up.

Great guest list, lots of love from the the Big Two, plus Image, IDW, etc, lots of space to walk around, and rates for commissions aren't jacked up-- which is typically the case at NYCC or SDCC.

I've heard awesome things about BigWow, too.

I've heard ECCC is very underrated & one of the best cons on the west coast. I'd like to hit that one up myself within the next couple of years (plus my wife loves Seattle, so it might be an easy sell as a vaca).

Beef up my East of West collection.

Read Manhattan Projects, Sixth Gun, and Revival.

Get another IH 181 and 1 more ASM 129.

Find 5 new series worth buying and reading.

Re-read Sin City, Stormwatch #37 through the Authority vol 1 #29, Plantary omnibus, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 1 and 2, and the Dark Knight. returns. I think it will be another great year and I look forward to sharing it with you guys and gals.

Those are very specific reading goals - you, sir, must be a detail oriented person

lol

Pretty much since my Army days. I was only in a couple of years but it's really hard to shake old habits.

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Cadenca Art is having a sale, and I believe Lemire's art is discounts right now. Might be able to check it off the 2013 list if you hurry!

Yeah I noticed that right after I plonked down some money for Black Science art and was a bit bummed. If I bought more OA so soon I'd be in a bit of trouble with the bf (tsk)

Hehe... you should totally do a Bjorn and get that OA :sorry:

Seriously though did you go to Thought Bubble this year? I have to say that I am mostly glad that I passed on it. Only because of the wait times for the main attractions there, ignoring that they put on a fantastic lineup for 2013. It's just that Aja then Staples would have been musts had I gone and either one could have taken a whole day. One of the main reasons I try to plan a route and stick to it, hopefully being first in line or close to that where possible.

Thought Bubble seems to be a weekend affair (not a single day) and the free after party tickets for early bookings was a pretty cool gesture.

The sheer mass of people seen at events like NYCC or SDCC makes me weep. Cosplay FTW, anything that permits posession of a riot shield ;) I fear that if I start with Wales Con this year that I am going to find out what an event that isn't as low key as say Bedford or Kendal is like. Unless something has been specifically lined up before the con (have emailed artists in advance before) then screw wasting an entire day on one thing, maybe it's just me but I'd be hoping for 4 - 5 (sketch / panel / event / gallery / talk / etc) planned per day,

(Quotes only picked out regarding the wait times.)

--------------------------------

"There were people queuing from some crazy times"

"Indeed, the sketch hounds were once again out in force filling up the artists commission lists often before the show had even opened."

"The queues for people like Aja and Staples were massive and were blocking aisles all over the place. It got to the point on Saturday that you simply could not get near the top of the hall at certain times."

Source: http://www.comicconventions.co.uk/did-the-thought-bubble-burst/

"for this one I had to queue for 3 hours outside and then 5 hours inside the hall"

Source: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1075491&GSub=151608

My goal is to write and publish one of the many story ideas I have had floating in my head for some time. I have an artist willing to work with me, need to find one or two more to see which ones would best fit the different tones of each story. This will likely lead me to sell some of my collection if I self-publish.

My goals are to keep Zoey's story going strong with 11 new issues (there will be a month off, June, when the first trade drops), and to have at least one other book out as well, solely as the writer, with one of several artists I'm talking with.

Awesome, I'm in as well on AVITD, and can't wait to hear about the new book!!