• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic related goals for 2014?

53 posts in this topic

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Cadenca Art is having a sale, and I believe Lemire's art is discounts right now. Might be able to check it off the 2013 list if you hurry!

Yeah I noticed that right after I plonked down some money for Black Science art and was a bit bummed. If I bought more OA so soon I'd be in a bit of trouble with the bf (tsk)

Thought Bubble Con in the UK? Have you been before?

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Cadenca Art is having a sale, and I believe Lemire's art is discounts right now. Might be able to check it off the 2013 list if you hurry!

Yeah I noticed that right after I plonked down some money for Black Science art and was a bit bummed. If I bought more OA so soon I'd be in a bit of trouble with the bf (tsk)

Hehe... you should totally do a Bjorn and get that OA :sorry:

Seriously though did you go to Thought Bubble this year? I have to say that I am mostly glad that I passed on it. Only because of the wait times for the main attractions there, ignoring that they put on a fantastic lineup for 2013. It's just that Aja then Staples would have been musts had I gone and either one could have taken a whole day. One of the main reasons I try to plan a route and stick to it, hopefully being first in line or close to that where possible.

Thought Bubble seems to be a weekend affair (not a single day) and the free after party tickets for early bookings was a pretty cool gesture.

The sheer mass of people seen at events like NYCC or SDCC makes me weep. Cosplay FTW, anything that permits posession of a riot shield ;) I fear that if I start with Wales Con this year that I am going to find out what an event that isn't as low key as say Bedford or Kendal is like. Unless something has been specifically lined up before the con (have emailed artists in advance before) then screw wasting an entire day on one thing, maybe it's just me but I'd be hoping for 4 - 5 (sketch / panel / event / gallery / talk / etc) planned per day,

(Quotes only picked out regarding the wait times.)

--------------------------------

"There were people queuing from some crazy times"

"Indeed, the sketch hounds were once again out in force filling up the artists commission lists often before the show had even opened."

"The queues for people like Aja and Staples were massive and were blocking aisles all over the place. It got to the point on Saturday that you simply could not get near the top of the hall at certain times."

Source: http://www.comicconventions.co.uk/did-the-thought-bubble-burst/

"for this one I had to queue for 3 hours outside and then 5 hours inside the hall"

Source: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1075491&GSub=151608

I went on the Sunday and Queues were nothing like this (shrug) True Aja and Staples had the biggest queues but they were tiny compared to some you get at other cons? If anything the qeues seemed bigger than they were becuase the main hall is so small and cramped that they simply impeded the other tables. Hence the comment about not being able to get the end of the hall.

IMO Thoughtbubble was a major major disapointment :(

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Thought Bubble Con in the UK? Have you been before?

Yes Katchoo goes every year.

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Seriously though did you go to Thought Bubble this year? I have to say that I am mostly glad that I passed on it. Only because of the wait times for the main attractions there, ignoring that they put on a fantastic lineup for 2013.

It's just that Aja then Staples would have been musts had I gone and either one could have taken a whole day. One of the main reasons I try to plan a route and stick to it, hopefully being first in line or close to that where possible.

Thought Bubble seems to be a weekend affair (not a single day) and the free after party tickets for early bookings was a pretty cool gesture.

The sheer mass of people seen at events like NYCC or SDCC makes me weep. Cosplay FTW, anything that permits posession of a riot shield ;) I fear that if I start with Wales Con this year that I am going to find out what an event that isn't as low key as say Bedford or Kendal is like. Unless something has been specifically lined up before the con (have emailed artists in advance before) then screw wasting an entire day on one thing, maybe it's just me but I'd be hoping for 4 - 5 (sketch / panel / event / gallery / talk / etc) planned per day,

"Indeed, the sketch hounds were once again out in force filling up the artists commission lists often before the show had even opened."

"The queues for people like Aja and Staples were massive and were blocking aisles all over the place. It got to the point on Saturday that you simply could not get near the top of the hall at certain times."

"for this one I had to queue for 3 hours outside and then 5 hours inside the hall"

edit: minimised my :blahblah:

I went on the Sunday and Queues were nothing like this (shrug) True Aja and Staples had the biggest queues but they were tiny compared to some you get at other cons? If anything the qeues seemed bigger than they were becuase the main hall is so small and cramped that they simply impeded the other tables. Hence the comment about not being able to get the end of the hall.

IMO Thoughtbubble was a major major disapointment :(

Thanks for chiming in, was interested to hear from someone that was there. It's not beyond me to spend 2-3 hours queueing, just a lot nicer if I don't have to because it's such a large part of the day. Glad to hear it wasn't that bad on the Sunday.

What was actually disappointing about it?

- Jeff Lemire OA

- Matt Kindt OA

- Thought Bubble

Seriously though did you go to Thought Bubble this year? I have to say that I am mostly glad that I passed on it. Only because of the wait times for the main attractions there, ignoring that they put on a fantastic lineup for 2013. It's just that Aja then Staples would have been musts had I gone and either one could have taken a whole day. One of the main reasons I try to plan a route and stick to it, hopefully being first in line or close to that where possible.

Yeah, I was at Thought Bubble. If you wanted to see Aja then yes queuing was mental and it filled a lot of the back of the main hall, but in saying that it didn't completely block it off or anything. Emma Rios and Kelly Sue were next to Fraction and Aja at the back and while they had queues too I didn't find it particularly problematic.

I heard some people queued for 10 hours for Aja. I'm not a Hawkeye fan so those queues were irrelevant for me.

To be honest, and I hate saying this, one of the worst things was that creators just didn't bother showing up on time. Doors opened at 10am. We got in pretty much by 10:05 and go to a table and there's no one there. Huh. Let's try another table... oh they're not there either. Huh, let's go back to the first one and just wait then. Over an hour and a half after opening time, the creator appears and we're informed he/she has a panel to go to in 10 minutes so we'll have to come back later. Seriously? That's just not cool. Try being a pro and being at your table for 10am for the people who have travelled hundreds of miles and paid money and sometimes queued for hours to see you.

For me, that was my biggest complaint.

And yeah, commission lists were often filled up before the week end but that's down to artists pre-selling them and it happens at lots of cons.

The only other thing was that there was so much stuff to see and do that 2 days really wasn't enough time - but really that's a good thing. TB could totally pull off a 3-dayer imo.

In saying all that I had an AMAZING time. I was on a high for about a week afterwards. I'm a bit sad I didn't get a sketch from Fiona Staples but that was a choice I made just because of the queue for her and because I'm not a super huge Saga fan. The queue for her wasn't as bad as for Aja though.

I got to see Brandon Graham (who drew me the best sketch <3), Emma Rios (got an awesome sketch from her too), Kelly Sue, Jordie Bellaire, Declan Shalvey, Kieron Gillen, Antony Johnston, Gary Erskine, Rafael Albuquerque, Frank Barbiere, Jock, Eric Stephenson, Ales Kot... loads of people and managed to fit in a few panels too.

Matt Kindt has expressed interest in going next year and Jeff Lemire wants to go back so if that happened my life would be made. I also heard a rumour that Scott Snyder is a possibility which would be cool but not my cuppa tea.

Thought Bubble is an amazing con. 100% pure comics :applause:

If Kindt goes he should drag Hurtt along with him!

Generally if the artists are late then my money is on it being the morning after the night before as they often end up in the same hotel / hotels. Have seen the late showing happen a few times.

It probably is down to that but people can't just turn up to work late and say "ooops, had a late night partying" and expect it to be ok, and I kinda view pros attending cons in the same way. I just think it's rather selfish and unprofessional.

Having the "after party" on mid-con didn't help either but there were plenty who didn't turn up at a decent time for the first day too.

Goals for 2014

-Get my "to be graded" list all graded. (about 25 books)

-Have my 9.6 Deadpool vol. 3 #1 Scottie young variant signed at Arizona Con by Duggan and liefeld then re-graded. (maybe they'll be suuuuuper nice and send it back a 9.8!!!)

-Have my Harley Quinn #0 blank cover done by Ebas

-Have my X-Men #1 (forget which volume) blank cover done by David Finch, or Joe Mad.

-and last but certainly not least!..... find the money to pay for all of this without my gf killing me..... this may not go well.... :(