• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

I believe they will start announcing some guests before SciFi Expo takes place. They promise the biggest event Dallas (and eventually, Texas) will ever see!

After seeing the lineup for SciFi Expo, I just can't wait to see who they bring to the BIG one!

I hope they move the venue though as the last few times it just seems off, not sure how else to put it. Hopefully more older creators for comic related guests and if they go with more celebs try to focus on one or two TV/Movie series and grab the entire crew. I know others still love Firefly and such, but maybe go with the Cast of Arrow, Smallville, Shield or even Doctor Who. Don't expect huge stars from X-Men, Avengers, or even GotG but maybe go with a few from the animated series voice actors, or even with some added sixties icon's I guess. Either way I do look forward to this and any other Texas shows but am looking forward to another big one in July especially due to my cravings of some original art and my close location to Austin.

They did move the venue for this show, you can get the details on the Facebook page. They're also doing pretty well with the guest list for the Feb show, with Arrow and Dr. Who guests, which hopefully gives you some confidence for May.

I agree that older comic creators would be nice. I appreciated the chance to get signatures from guys like Len Wein, Graham Nolan, Kelley Jones and Steranko, and to get a sketch from Herb Trimpe. I go to these shows primarily for creator signatures (and to buy comics, of course), so those are the guests I focus on. These shows can sometimes be a little thin on comic creators, but often do hit home runs like the aforementioned guys.

They DO need more comic creators. Ben is really good at brining cool celebrities, but I would love to see more NEW comic creators...too bad Big Wow Comic Fest and Motor City Comic Con are happening that same weekend.

That always happens, so their comic centered show is sometimes lacking in bigger comic creator names. It'd be nice if they could turn that around.

It does give me a little hope that Motor City hasn't announced a single guest but right now compared to Big Wow, Dallas is sorely lacking in comic guests for a comic con and Big Wow is honestly killing it. There current line-up alone makes me want to leave Texas for this weekend. I mean Charlie Adlard, Nick Bradshaw, Mark Brooks, Jim Cheung, Adi Granov, and Mike Mignola. But there big creator win for me at least is a name I sorely would love to get something from.... The other Stan, Stan Sakai.

Dallas needs to start doing something or at least try and make a few moves here or there or it'll lose out to these other shows in a big way. Don't wait until February or all of my money will be allotted towards other shows around the area or through Doug for his opp's.

Damn, that really sucks to hear. Hopefully she pulls out and he can still do a few shows but understandable if he doesn't. Either way I am fully Set by your announcements so far for CCCC. Covers, Covers, Covers. Cannot wait.

Nathan Fillion, William Shatner, Robert Englund and Stan Lee added....

And the big news....prepare....

DALLAS COMIC CON presented by FAN EXPO!

Press release coming in a few days, rumor says that Fan Expo bought the show. There were several Fan Expo people at SciFi Expo.

Nathan Fillion, William Shatner, Robert Englund and Stan Lee added....

And the big news....prepare....

DALLAS COMIC CON presented by FAN EXPO!

Press release coming in a few days, rumor says that Fan Expo bought the show. There were several Fan Expo people at SciFi Expo.

So what would this sale mean, and did they just buy the May show or all three versions? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with Fan Expo. I'm guessing they run other large comic shows?

Press release will come in a few days. Not sure if they actually boughtt he show,but thats the rumor I heard from some artists.

Fan Expo runs hows in Canada, including Toronto Fan Expo, which draws 100,000 attendees

Hopefully this means this years May show will be better. I was let down a little two years ago but they still had a good line-up for creators. Neal Adams, George Perez, Len Wein, the Breitweiser's Elizabeth and Mitch, Arthur Suydam, and a few others. Just wish there were more artists that were willing to do sketches (Which isn't an event coordinators job and I understand that) and wish they were a little more organized with the George Perez line, which until Sunday was all over the place and even then a little crazy as so many dealers lugging around there short box's were simply individual_without_enough_empathys for the rest of us standing in line...

Either way if it gets more A listers on the creator side I'm all in to try again. If not I guess there will be others in Texas worth going to later on.

My brother has a table at the show this weekend and passed along the news that Fan Expo has definitely bought the May show (at least according to the rep he spoke to), and that they are going to be specifically catering to comic fans. A rep from Fan Expo came to his table to try to lock him in as a dealer for the May show. I'm definitely intrigued to see how this ends up working out, and while I always enjoy the Dallas shows, it will be nice to see how some new promoters approach things.

This is definitely an interesting development in light of the recent move of the May show to a much larger space, but the February and October shows being kept in Irving. That move happened several months ago, so I can't help but wonder if this has been in the works for a while.

My guess (and it's purely that) is that the February and October shows will be run the way they always have been and will continue to be held in Irving, while the May show will change direction in some ways to be determined. In any event, it is an interesting time to be a comic fan in the Dallas area!

It really is a good time to be in Texas with all of the shows we are coming to have. With my tastes in mind I hope most of these shows do hold out to be more comic / creator specific but understand that most need to have Celebs to draw in even more numbers. I am hoping though for less than 100,000 people though. I worry about my books already with the amount of people that show up and have no consideration for others. Glad I'm a pretty tall guy though.

And looking through there line-up they have Jason David Frank listed as well...