• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

Main Theater Seating: It's a big question, here is how it will be handled. We reserve the right to change if completely necessary, but this is the plan for the main 4500 seat theater only. The smaller rooms are first come.

VIP will have rows up front and center reserved. These seats will be held for VIP until 5-10 minutes till start time. At 5-10 min till start the seats will become available to others. Our lead volunteer in this room will handle this if space is available.

Premium ticket holders will have a priority line for the main theater that will enter before Deluxe and daily ticket holders. Then all others will be allowed in. There should be plenty of seating at the new facility given it has 3x the capacity of last years event. We will empty the room after each Q&A (except VIP).

Hope that helps.

Everyone on Facebook is up in arms about the room clearing between panels, so I thought I'd share it here as well.

It's annoying, but it's really the only fair way to handle seating when not everyone will fit in the room. It's done this way at many of the larger cons. You just have to choose which panels you most want to see and hop in line for them. If two you want to see are back to back, you pick the one you want to see more. :shrug:

Luckily I started refreshing the page early. Sucks for anyone that waited until the announced time to try to buy. They were sold out by then.

If that is the case, cue more geek rage. Between that and the announcement about clearing the rooms after panels I expect a near-shutdown of their FB page. Seems like everyone was already stirred up to begin with, and these won't help.

On the flip side, if they sold out their VIPs in 10 minutes apparently either $300 isn't too much to ask for them, or it was highly worth it to at least 200 people. I'm guessing the next show will have more like 300-400 VIPs, because they've got to be feeling like they left VIP money on the table. It wouldn't surprise me if they find another 100 to put on sale for this show.

From the FB page:

Dallas Comicon At 10-15min till the ticket company loaded a few VIP tickets (and other tickets) into the system to make sure everything was running correctly which sold instantly. At 11am they loaded 200 VIP tickets into the system which also sold out instantly (literally in seconds). A few shopping carts got abandoned as the minutes went by and the system re-released those back into inventory.

So now people are wondering if a few more than 200 VIPs got out. This also doesn't square with the many people who have said here and on FB that the tickets were sold out by 11.

If this was a "test", why not do that at 2 am Monday when people wouldn't be looking to pounce on them? It is unbelievably silly to test your system 15 minutes prior to going live, and as an explanation for early ticket sales it seems like a stupid one to me.

J. Scott Campbell has been added. I guess I'll try to get one of the Superior SpiderMan #29 La Mole variants!

VERY much stoked about this. :whee:

+1, they're really headed in the right direction with some of the talent their bringing in for this one. A got a few Danger Girl and GEN13 books I need to dust off.

J. Scott Campbell has been added. I guess I'll try to get one of the Superior SpiderMan #29 La Mole variants!

+1, they're really headed in the right direction with some of the talent their bringing in for this one. A got a few Danger Girl and GEN13 books I need to dust off.

+1, not an artist I care about personally but certainly a big name that people will be excited about. He hasn't done any pre-Fan Expo Dallas shows that I'm aware of, so this is a good get for the new owners and speaks to their ability to get good names.

I got two sigs on same book through CGC at WWA. First, I went to pick up the sketch with the CGC witness, then we went to get the first sig, then I had some photo ops to be done so CGC kept the book, once I was done I went back to pick up the book, got a witness and then we went to get my second signature. Once the book was done with sigs I came back to the CGC booth and filled paperwork. I'm sure it's almost the same with DesertWind comics.

So, there will be an official at whichever one I go to first, and he'll follow me to the next one? Are there usually multiple officials or am I going to have to wait until the single official has time to follow me to my next signature? Sorry, I've never been to a con or had any CGCing done.

Yeah, first go to DeswetWinds booth. Tell them what you are submitting and then check if there's a witness available. If there is one available, he will follow you to see the comic book getting signed, if both artists don't have a huge line, he can wait with you, and once the book is ready, go back to the desertwind booth with the witness and you will be able to fill paperwork and pay there.

+1, not an artist I care about personally but certainly a big name that people will be excited about. He hasn't done any pre-Fan Expo Dallas shows that I'm aware of, so this is a good get for the new owners and speaks to their ability to get good names.

It's been a while but he was at the last Wizard World Arlington way back when. I remember because I had one book to get signed by him and I had to wait behind someone that had a stack that measured almost a foot high to get books signed.

To his credit, Campbell signed like a machine and it didn't take very long at all.

It's been a while but he was at the last Wizard World Arlington way back when. I remember because I had one book to get signed by him and I had to wait behind someone that had a stack that measured almost a foot high to get books signed.

To his credit, Campbell signed like a machine and it didn't take very long at all.

I do know that his line has certainly grown since those days. This weekend at MegaCon I don't think I ever heard his line had stopped collecting and heard there were waits of up to 6 hours. Either run when the doors open to his line or wear some comfortable stand shoes. its going to be awhile.

Mark said they will look into rules like limiting number of items signed per turn so it goes faster andf ans dont get mad at the dealers with longboxes. VIPS will also be able to skip artists with long lines.

Mark said they will look into rules like limiting number of items signed per turn so it goes faster andf ans dont get mad at the dealers with longboxes. VIPS will also be able to skip artists with long lines.

Is there any chance they are going to open the VIP tickets up again. I was on 10 mins after they went on sale, had a ton of issues with the website during my purchase, and then sold out before I could finish the process.

Both Bena nd Mark said no. The system messed up because some tix were bought at 10:45 and then at 11:00 AM they were sold out, they already explained what happened. They were testing tickets and people bought them at that time, but there were a few that got VIP tix even at 11:20 and later, but just a few. They won't sell any other VIP packages or extra VIP tix to make the VIP more special.