• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Golden Cover Jam Session

68 posts in this topic

Saber, it's not a very good scan at all, but OS notes that the issue is Golden's first cover work. There's also a small picture of the cover in the latest OS (page 666!). Still too tiny a pic, but you can at least make out the whole thing, while the bottom of the pic is cut off on ebay.

I agree, a classics comics thread would be cool. Those books can be pretty tough! I guess not that man people were buying/saving a comic that cost 60 cents in the mid 70's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for putting up the covers and congrats on the Ebay purchase. Really a great artist that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

You're welcome, although the purchase was shrunkenhead's. I found this while I was clicking around yesterday:

#77 MICHAEL GOLDEN

Another icon from the 80's, Golden has suffered the fate of many artists who began their career in the "superstar" money era: a spectacular burst of creativity and popularity, a quick decline in output and consistency, and an unsuccessful attempt to recapture lost accolades. When he applies himself, Mike's work is awesome to behold: highly detailed but readable; lushly illustrative but expressively cartoony. He can handle superhero, funny animal, and war stories (his specialty) with equally sharp focus. The spotty nature of his output lowers his rank significantly; were he more active, he could command a lofty perch.

SEE: The 'Nam #1-10; Dr. Strange #55; Avengers Annual #10; Marvel Fanfare (1st series) #1-2

Atlas Comics presents: THE TOP 100 ARTISTS OF AMERICAN COMIC BOOKS

Let's not forget his DC work. If I remember correctly, his interior work on this book was even better than the cover...

Ah, I'm saving that for the finale. Batman Special #1 (and only) has 40 gorgeous pages of Golden art underneath that cover. It's a must have for any Bat-Fan, and cheap!

Too bad his other comparable interior work on Avengers Annual #10 (1st appearance of Rogue) got buried under a hacked out Al Milgrom cover. I've gotta believe that with all the covers he was doing in '79 and '80 that there isn't a rejected Golden cover for AA #10 laying around somewhere.

Saber, it's not a very good scan at all, but OS notes that the issue is Golden's first cover work. There's also a small picture of the cover in the latest OS (page 666!). Still too tiny a pic, but you can at least make out the whole thing, while the bottom of the pic is cut off on ebay.

I agree, a classics comics thread would be cool. Those books can be pretty tough! I guess not that man people were buying/saving a comic that cost 60 cents in the mid 70's? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the info on the cover.

The two or three issues of Marvel Classics Comics that I have had a 50¢ cover price, IIRC. I've got #1 and #2 or #4. I saw them the other day while flipping through some box, right in front of my St. Francis of Assisi #1 and Pope John Paul II #1! I think there may have also been a Mother Theresa #1, but I missed it. insane.gif

Really a great artist that sometimes gets lost in the shuffle.

Yep, and Golden even teamed up with Larry Hama to create Bucky O'Hare, which led to toys and a Saturday Morning cartoon show. Echo of Future Past is another one of those totally cool, totally cheap 80s anthology books with incredible art.

ihnp-39101.jpg