• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eldon Pedigree
1 1

109 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2024 at 4:52 PM, Action252Kid said:

Signed on the front like usual, and also signed (larger) on the back cover too.

That back cover signature.  Could be the biggest cursive Eldon....ever.  Cool stuff!  

Edited by Pantodude

On 3/1/2024 at 1:59 PM, Pantodude said:

Hmm.  But...the block script on the ped covers is "ELdon", while on that coupon, its "ELDON," which is different with respect to the "d", "o" and the "n".   Is it true that the Eldon ped does not involve covers with a "ELDON" type of block script?  If so, the block ELDON on your coupon does not prove that Eldon M. Tuffentsamer aka "Tuffy" also signed the block-script books out there, which are of the "ELdon" variety.  To the contrary, those who predate the computer era will tell you that back in the day, one's writing generally did not change in such significant respects from month to month or even year to year.  (shrug)  

I think you should look at things again.  Other than a capital D, they look the same.   E and L are identical to many block signatures.  Hard to tell a large vs small "o" but looks small to me and he uses a variety of sizes, and that is a backwards "N", which occurs on some block Eldon signatures.  And then the rest of the coupon has a mix of capital, lowercase, and cursive letters, underscoring he changed up writing styles.  The last name even has two uppercase letters and then the rest lowercase.  Multiple block letter Eldon books are in similar conditions and sequential order as cursive ones (see USA Comics and Superman).   As for the last comment on handwriting, how would you have any idea this is true.  Kids do lots of unusual things, and some learned cursive much later than others, some never develop great writing skills (like some people with dyslexia, as one example), and younger kids/teens mess around with different writing styles all the time.  He used the block script as a young teen, along with the cursive.  And he even signed with larger cursive, as on the Whiz just posted.   Seems pretty clear to me they are all from the same collection.

A bigger issue is why CGC has not corrected their info on the pedigree.  It is pretty obvious it is not Eldon Hamman on anything labeled an Eldon pedigree.  

On 3/2/2024 at 11:49 AM, mwotka said:

I think you should look at things again.  Other than a capital D, they look the same.   E and L are identical to many block signatures.  Hard to tell a large vs small "o" but looks small to me and he uses a variety of sizes, and that is a backwards "N", which occurs on some block Eldon signatures.  And then the rest of the coupon has a mix of capital, lowercase, and cursive letters, underscoring he changed up writing styles.  The last name even has two uppercase letters and then the rest lowercase.  Multiple block letter Eldon books are in similar conditions and sequential order as cursive ones (see USA Comics and Superman).   As for the last comment on handwriting, how would you have any idea this is true.  Kids do lots of unusual things, and some learned cursive much later than others, some never develop great writing skills (like some people with dyslexia, as one example), and younger kids/teens mess around with different writing styles all the time.  He used the block script as a young teen, along with the cursive.  And he even signed with larger cursive, as on the Whiz just posted.   Seems pretty clear to me they are all from the same collection.

A bigger issue is why CGC has not corrected their info on the pedigree.  It is pretty obvious it is not Eldon Hamman on anything labeled an Eldon pedigree.  

Right about belated CGC correction!  The penmanship angle was my thoughts based on my childhood setting when one's penmanship was more of a substantive thing than today, the result of it being a required class (!) during early years of schooling and less likely to change.  But you make good points.  I was focusing on just the 5 characters in Eldon.  Also, even if two different people signed the script and block versions, that does not mean those books are not properly part of the same pedigree if a parent /relative or book seller signed Tuffy's books when he could not.  Interesting stuff!  

On 3/2/2024 at 1:03 PM, Pantodude said:

Right about belated CGC correction!  The penmanship angle was my thoughts based on my childhood setting when one's penmanship was more of a substantive thing than today, the result of it being a required class (!) during early years of schooling and less likely to change.  But you make good points.  I was focusing on just the 5 characters in Eldon.  Also, even if two different people signed the script and block versions, that does not mean those books are not properly part of the same pedigree if a parent /relative or book seller signed Tuffy's books when he could not.  Interesting stuff!  

I believe the second Eldon variant signature is “block printed style” with the name ELDON.  This had potentially been associated to collector/artist Eldon Dedini.  However, a strong argument can be made    that both the cursive and block “Eldon” styles being Eldon M. Tuffentsamer.  For example, there is a certified USA #3 with block letters and USA #4 with cursive, both higher grade. Collectors liked to stick with consecutive numbers (runs) of their favorite titles and what are the odds of two different comic signing Eldon’s having saved one high grade copy of each in the series?

Edited by path4play

On 6/6/2023 at 6:51 PM, CitrusZ28 said:

I too have wondered about the Eldon pedigree, I din't realize that there were possibly 2 different Eldons involved but I was curious as to why some were signed in cursive and some signed with block letters. I bought this 3 Batman books back in 1984 out of an ad in The Comic Buyers Guide from a man named Charles Sawyer who was located in Boulder CO. I still have the box they were shipped in and had a mailing label with "Church" on it which brings to mind the famous Mile High Collection, not that these books were part of that collection but I wonder if there is some connection there. Sorry about the glare on the pictures, on the Batman #9 you can barely see the signature in cursive on the N in Batman.

That's a great share, one has ELdon and one the Eldon cursive - from the same sale back in the day...  Seems move evidence blocky and cursive Eldon are one and the same (Eldon M. Tuffentsamer)

Edited by path4play

On 3/1/2024 at 4:52 PM, Action252Kid said:

Not sure if this one is helpful at all to the mystery, but I thought this was a cool one worth sharing that I just came across.  Signed on the front like usual, and also signed (larger) on the back cover too.

Saw that too...Wink!:whistle:

Hi all!  I just stumbled across this board after seeing this Captain Marvel Jr. 17 posted for sale on HipComic. I just out of curiosity looked up the name written on the comic. As you can see from the photos the front cover has Eldon M. T., and the back cover has the full Eldon M. Tuffenstamer. And all writing is in cursive on this one.c71665a87a527c778d411541b8c71266-800.jpg.a7a73e6fae6b8805a2ec3ad85e750b02.jpg

162dee80a5fb0507fbc63715a69474ab-800.jpg