• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Conserved Label

192 posts in this topic

Sometime in 2014, CGC will introduce the conserved label. Which brings up the question, what procedures will qualify?

Cleaning, pressing, tear seals, reinforcement, all seem to be no-brainers to fall under the new label. Color touch and recreating art work would not.

But what about leaf-casting? Historical documents are conserved using this method. Should our hobby follow that lead? Or should leaf-casting remain under the PLOD label?

While these ideas are being discussed at CGC, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we could voice our opinions.

So whatcha' think? hm

Wondering if only books submitted through CCS would end up with a conserved label for this.

I doubt it. That would be in direct conflict with their policy of the graders looking at every book without any knowledge of ownership or its path to CGC.

I'm wondering whether in the end it will make much difference. Will the new conserved label be considered significantly more desirable than a PLOD? If so, I wonder if the smart money has been buying up PLODs that seem good candidates for getting a conserved designation on regrading? hm

If done properly, pressing and dry cleaning are undetectable anyway, aren't they? Wondering if only books submitted through CCS would end up with a conserved label for this.

I doubt it. That would be in direct conflict with their policy of the graders looking at every book without any knowledge of ownership or its path to CGC.

As mentioned above by Reader's Copy, "properly done" pressing is undetectable, even according to CGC itself for how long now.

So does that mean that NOT-"properly done" pressing would be under the Conserved label?

Or does that open up another whole new can of worms?

I would think they would steer clear of the whole pressing thing and not include any pressing under the Conserved label. But who knows?

I would think that anything that is removable, without damaging the comic would fall under a conserved label, such as tear seals, rice paper, deacidification, glue/tape removal, archival tape, maybe even chemical cleaning. I would think removal of foxing/rust would certainly be a conserved procedure.

This opens up an avenue for folks that want to make their comics survive the ravages of time, but don't want the purple stigma....

Wonder what color conserved will have? I'm betting "Scarlet Red".

At the end of the day, comics that have been restored or conserved will still be sold for a fraction of an original condition copy.

The real question is what is the perceived value variances and is there really difference between restored or conserved. I believe painting conservators add "color touch"

Golden Age Book A

Blue Label 8.0 $10,000-$12,000

Restored 8.0 in all it's variances from Slight A to Ext. P $500-$8000

Conserved 8.0? ????? or will the conserved grade not be reflected in the same fashion?

Where did CGC mention that they were introducing the conserved label?

Either way... from the CCS website...

From the Classics Collectable Service:

Step #1: Conservation

Conservation work involves removing unnecessary material from a comic (dirt, stains, tape), cleaning, and then minor repair if necessary (tear seals, support, staple replacement). Conservation work typically runs between $75 and $300. The type of comics that are recommended for conservation work are attractive copies that suffer from one major defect, such as a cleanly split spine, detached centerfold or cover, or large stain.

Because cleaning a comic book skirts the line between “restored” and “unrestored” it is important to distinguish the types of cleaning available. There are three types: dry, solvent and water. Dry removes dirt and soiling, while solvent helps remove tape, some stains and yellowing. Water cleaning rids covers of tanning, wrinkling and most stains.

A good conservation candidate would be a Marvel Mystery #3 that appears VF but is actually a GD- due to a cleanly split spine. Because a simple spine seal and pressing would drastically increase the eye appeal of the book, this would be an excellent candidate for conservation.

"Conserved"? Richie Munchin must be proud.

Maybe he won't be so anti-CGC after this as well. lol

Too funny - these were my first thoughts as well (just don't ask Richie, or he'll bend your ear for an hour)!

This thread actually inspired me to pick up one of his books today. He had the nicest copy around -- except for the dratted "archival tear seals." Maybe if the Conserved label happens, I won't take quite as big a bath if some day I end up selling it. :D

This is a very good step for CGC and in my opinion, the comics industry. As we all know, comics were not meant to last forever as many were printed on very poor quality paper. Conservation is recognized as a necessity in many other key collectible industries, so why not comics?

Of course, the valuation issue definitely opens up a whole lot of questions. But I think it is time we separate work that will preserve comics as opposed to work designed primarily to enhance their resale value.

The attitude toward PLOD has always been more friendly in GA. Doubt you will find such enthusiasm in the SA or BA forums.

And funny, my first thought seeing this thread was same as stated before... Richie has to feel vindicated after all this time.

As for me, I have had Matt restore a GA book in the past and always open to owning them. This ruling by CGC doesn't change anything for me, but I agree it is a positive thing that our industry begin to better categorize conservation vs restoration.