• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

Batgirl

Got a great Batgirl deal recently from StingerMcK here on the boards. The lot included these great Batgirl covers.

Batman%20197%20CGC%206.0%2033_zpsxymmekbh.jpg

Detective%20Comics%20369%20CGC%205.0%2033_zpsryl6sqc4.jpg

The lot also included Detective 363 in CGC 4.5. I already have it in 9.0 so that'll be one I sell eventually. But, even if I never sell it, the price on the other 2 were good enough to make this a great deal. On top of these CGCs, the lot also included a few raw Batgirl books, including a couple I might submit to CGC, making the deal even better. Thanks StingerMcK!

Detective%20Comics%20363%20CGC%204.5%2033_zpszdmt6omo.jpg

Detective%20Comics%20363%20CGC%209.0%20110_zpszpln7rea.jpg

Batgirl

Got a great Batgirl deal recently from StingerMcK here on the boards. The lot included these great Batgirl covers.

Batman%20197%20CGC%206.0%2033_zpsxymmekbh.jpg

Detective%20Comics%20369%20CGC%205.0%2033_zpsryl6sqc4.jpg

The lot also included Detective 363 in CGC 4.5. I already have it in 9.0 so that'll be one I sell eventually. But, even if I never sell it, the price on the other 2 were good enough to make this a great deal. On top of these CGCs, the lot also included a few raw Batgirl books, including a couple I might submit to CGC, making the deal even better. Thanks StingerMcK!

Detective%20Comics%20363%20CGC%204.5%2033_zpszdmt6omo.jpg

Detective%20Comics%20363%20CGC%209.0%20110_zpszpln7rea.jpg

Nice! All the more poignant as we lost our real life Batgirl Yvonne Craig this year.

Great Gwen Stacy / Adam Hughes Buy

Adam Hughes sketched Gwen on a bunch of Spider-Gwen blanks. They're all over the place. As with all Spider-Gwen comics, prices are softening and you can get good prices if you have some patience. I've been shopping for this comic for a few months now. Finally got this one via eBay buy-it-now. I've seen subtle differences between Adam's sketches, so I'm still looking for one of his sketches where he portrays Spider-Gwen (as opposed to just Gwen). Thanks for reading.

s-l1600_zps61pvp90x.jpg

All the more poignant as we lost our real life Batgirl Yvonne Craig this year.

Agreed. I remember Yvonne as much as Marta in Star Trek as Batgirl. Here's my only signature of Yvonne that I was lucky enough to win on eBay some time ago. Funny that CGC does not mention her ST appearance.

SS%20Yvonne%20Craig%20bikini%2036_zpstwckh4cq.jpg

Holy Cow! I Have This?!!

I've mentioned I'm reducing the herd. I've gone from about 45000 comics to 25000. Now, I'm going through the rejects to see if there are any I want before I sell them wholesale. I'm thinking about contacting Mile High or Lone Star, or perhaps sell via Craig's List. I don't expect to get much.

So today I was going through a Batman box of rejects. This box had my run of Batman Animated. I was flipping through the books when I found this, Batman Adventures 12 (1st Harley Quinn). Holy cow! I didn't think I had this issue! It's definitely going into my next CGC submission.

It's my birthday in a week, so this is a great early b-day present. Thanks for reading.

3EBBD672-3F8D-4B10-9E9B-5A528014D53C_zpsnx8emzh5.jpg

Walking Dead Cast SS Book

Mad-dogz had a major sale recently on the boards. I picked up an Elektra early on in his sale, signed and remarked by Sienkiewicz. I've been looking for a 9.6 or better copy for some time now, and with the Sienkiewicz sig and sketch I was more than happy to pay his asking price of $50. I was happy even after mad-dogz offered a sale on his remaining books (since I figured this one would have been scooped up by someone else at full price if I didn't act quickly like I did).

I lost track of mad-dogz's sale for a while, then checked back in. That's when I found out he offered a Walking Dead book with 6 cast signatures:

Danai Gurira (Michonne)

Chandler Riggs (Carl)

Michael Rooker (Meryl)

Irone Singleton (T-Dog)

Scott Wilson (Herschel)

Laure Holden (Andrea)

Mad-dogz's price was $300. That's a bargain with so many sigs. Also, some of these are hard to get, like Chandler Riggs. But it was listed as on-hold. Ugh!

Mad-dogz put his remaining books on sale at 30% off. A boardie dropped a flag saying "I'll take the WD book at 30% if it comes off the hold." Well yeah that would be an incredible price if mad-dogz allowed it. But like I said, the full asking price of $300 was a bargain. If you think about what actors charge for sigs at Wizard World (at least $50 each), plus the hassle of getting CGC witnesses, waiting in line, etc., mad-dogz's full asking price was more than fair.

So I PM'd mad-dogz and also dropped a flag and said I would take the book at full price if it goes off hold. I didn't expect to get it because I assumed the 1st buyer wouldn't let it get away. But soon after mad-dogz PM'd me and said it was mine.

So this was my best Christmas present to myself of the year.

Walking%20Dead%2075%20SS%209.8%20Danai%20Gurira%20Chandler%20Riggs%20Michael%20Rooker%20Irone%20Singleton%20Scott%20Wilson%20Laurie%20Holden%20300_zpsvcnyolav.jpg

And here is that Elektra book I also bought from mad-dogz. Thanks for reading.

Elektra%20Assassin%201%20SS%209.6%2050_zpsiq7mzndo.jpg

Recent Golden Age GGA Pickups - Matt Baker

Matt Baker prices are ridiculous nowadays, especially for his covers. (A great thread of his work is here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8844131&fpart=1) Just check out ebay. $200+ for beat up copies. Really amazing.

Probably the best place to get his books is this board. I managed to pick up this one recently from a boardie. After he posted it I sent him a PM with an offer. But then I thought, "am I crazy?" It's a nice looking Baker at a reasonable price. No way it lasts long. So I immediately dropped a flag for his asking price.

Authentic%20Police%20Cases%2014%20Matt%20Baker%20165_zpsikbapgk1.jpg

I got this classic GGA bondage cover from another boardie. Bonus, this book has a Senorita Rita story, who is a fun heroine.

Fight%2043%2090_zpszlkzbhcu.jpg

Recent Golden Age GGA Pickups - Matt Baker

Matt Baker prices are ridiculous nowadays, especially for his covers. (A great thread of his work is here http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8844131&fpart=1) Just check out ebay. $200+ for beat up copies. Really amazing.

Probably the best place to get his books is this board. I managed to pick up this one recently from a boardie.

Authentic%20Police%20Cases%2014%20Matt%20Baker%20165_zpsikbapgk1.jpg

I got this classic GGA bondage cover from another boardie. Bonus, this book has a Senorita Rita story, who is a fun heroine.

Fight%2043%2090_zpszlkzbhcu.jpg

Very Nice! I especially like when his signature is on the covers :applause:

Fiction House...one day... Just afraid if i won't be able to stop at just one and take me off my game trying to build up other themes/publishers/characters i'm working on.

Strangers in Paradise / Terry Moore Original Art

Back in the early 2000s I was going to the San Diego Comic Con almost every year. My first year was 2000. My kids were old enough to leave with my wife by herself, and I finally got to the point in my career where I had some extra money to go to a con across the country.

One of my favorite comics is Strangers in Paradise. So as soon as I got into the dealers room I went straight to the Abstract Studios table. I wanted to look at his original art offerings, and hoped to get a sketch.

Back then, Terry Moore had more time to do sketches. So the line for sketches was never more than 10-15 people or so and Terry was very generously doing free sketches for his fans.

At an earlier con (I don't remember which one), I bought this Katchoo sketch on a Gen 13 blank. At that SDCC 2000 con, I got Terry to sign and personalize it to me.

SIP%20Katchoo_zpslxbnqtkl.jpg

Then, I asked him to sketch a Francine to go along with the Katchoo. I handed him another Gen 13 "do-it" blank (this started my somewhat obsession of getting sketches on these Gen 13 blanks). Here it is:

SIP%20Francine_zpsjzjmdmhf.jpg

All this happened before I was into CGC so I didn't even think about submitting it. That's okay, I obviously don't need the authenticity of CGC since Terry sketched it right in front of me. And, books look just as good in Mylar as the CGC holders.

By the way, over the years at these SDCCs, I got some original art from Terry. I got more sketch covers too. I'll post more of what I got later. In the meantime, here's some SIP art I previously posted. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7287580&fpart=47

Thanks for reading.

Championship Sunday Equals Deals On eBay

I won these Fiction House CGC books on eBay today. I'm pretty sure if offered on C-Link they would each go for over $100, especially the Planet comic. But today I guess everyone was too occupied by football as I was the only bidder. Kind of makes up for my team getting knocked out 2 weeks ago. Well, not really.

s-l1600c_zpsvpa1eyit.jpg

s-l1600_zpsfpotnfxa.jpg

s-l1600b_zpscrakummp.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Championship Sunday Equals Deals On eBay

I won these Fiction House CGC books on eBay today. I'm pretty sure if offered on C-Link they would each go for over $100, especially the Planet comic. But today I guess everyone was too occupied by football as I was the only bidder. Kind of makes up for my team getting knocked out 2 weeks ago. Well, not really.

s-l1600c_zpsvpa1eyit.jpg

s-l1600_zpsfpotnfxa.jpg

s-l1600b_zpscrakummp.jpg

Great haul! And yes, you would have surely been in a bidding war if it was one of the major comic houses and the game was not on. :D

Cool GGA covers BTW.

Strangers in Paradise / Terry Moore Original Art - Part 2

At another SDCC I asked Terry to sketch Francine at 16. I was so impressed with the sketch that, the next day, I asked him to sketch Katchoo at 16. I had a fleeting ambition to get 16 yo sketches of the entire cast but of course that wasn't possible. Here are the Francine and Katchoo "sweet 16" sketches. As you can see, both were on SDCC blanks.

SIP%20Francine%2016%20yo_zpss7wqmpyf.jpg

SIP%20Katchoo%2016%20yo_zpsrexlcnjl.jpg

At other SDCCs, I got sketches from Terry of David and Casey. These were on the Gen13 "do-it" blanks. If I ever get the chance for more sketches from Terry, I'd go for (in order): Freddie, Darcie and Tambi. I have a few Gen13 blanks left so that's what I'd use.

SIP%20David_zpsg3mvyngf.jpg

Casey_zpsijserabg.jpg

Strangers in Paradise / Terry Moore Original Art - Part 3

At one SDCC back in the early 2000s, Terry offered for sale art from his sketchbook. During his panel he said he was about to toss out the sketchbook when his friends suggested he pull out the pages and offer them for sale.

Luckily I was one of the first people at his table when the con opened. I got these sketches of Francine (and one of Katchoo at the bottom below). I think they were around $30-$45 each (on some you can see the price in the top right corner).

Kind of wish now I had bought more, but I guess I must have picked out the ones I liked most. Thanks for reading.

SIP%20Francine%20LSH_zpsaudhpfky.jpg

SIP%20Francine%20WW_zpstpg1wmp4.jpg

Francine%20Fishing_zpsbcyzkniw.jpg

Katchoo%20David%201_zpsjm1gyw2j.jpg

Katchoo%20David%202_zps46qfyi2l.jpg

SIP%20Katchoo%20stylized_zpsarzp7ds9.jpg

Strangers in Paradise / Terry Moore Original Art - Part 4

This is the last post in this set. Again I bought the first 2 SIP OA pieces from Terry Moore at a SDCC around 2005-2007. The first is a self portrait of Katchoo from SIP #66. Because it's small (less than 8 1/2 x 11) Terry priced it at only $65 (you can see the price in the upper right corner) -- it's no doubt my best deal on SIP OA!

I don't actually remember where the 2nd is from -- a cover, or back cover? I don't have my collection with me at the moment and I can't remember off the top of my head. This one is also a small piece and I think it was priced around the same as the first (another great deal).

The third piece is not actually Terry Moore but a recreation of Vol 2 Issue 10, one of my favorite SIP covers because it so perfectly captures Katchoo and Francine just hanging. The recreation is by Neil Vokes. For a while I had the ambition of having lots of artists do their version of this cover. But alas, Neil's was the only one I got (so far).

SIP%20Katchoo%20self%20portrait_zpst70o7pdo.jpg

SIP%20cover_zps3d5htd1x.jpg

SIP%20Neal%20Vokes_zpsgnwmmtd9.jpg

Neil also did one of my favorite Gwen Stacy commissions. Thanks for reading.

Gwen%20Neil%20Vokes_zpso9srepul.jpg

First Silver Surfer and Galactus

This was my first major buy of the year, Fantastic Four 48 with the 1st appearances of Silver Surfer and Galactus. As I've written before in this journal, I'm trying to complete what I call my Original Marvels collection, which are the original titles of Amazing Spiderman, Avengers, Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Daredevil and the Fantastic Four. These were my favorite titles as a kid. Not included are Thor and X-Men because they weren't favorites back then.

Anyway, all the titles are complete except ASM and FF. I need ASM 2, 3, 14, 119 and 122 and FF 1, 5 and 12. So, I need just 8 more issues for my Original Marvels collection to be complete.

It was 9 until a Heritage auction a couple weeks ago. That's when I saw this FF 48. Wow, CGC 7.5. And a nice looking 7.5. But the cover's detached.

So I thought about it. This was my chance to get a 7.5 copy. The flaw made it possible because I would never pay the money for a blue 7.5 (which GPA has at over $700). So I decided to go for this copy. I paid more than I originally wanted. You can see my purchase on GPA at $382. I kind of got into the excitement of the real time bidding Heritage offers on its Sunday sales. But 2 weeks later I'm not feeling buyer's regret. In fact I'm very happy to have this book.

To me, as a collector, the flaw is not a big deal because it's in the CGC case and will always stay there. The flaw impacts my ability to resell, but I don't plan to ever sell. I'm not saying I'll never sell any of my comics. I'm open to selling some comics when I get into retirement if I need the money. But if I'm going to cull the herd there's a lot I'd sell before this one.

The bottom line is, as a collector, sometimes you have to compromise to get to your collecting goals. I've found restored and qualified books as good options to get nice looking comics at affordable prices. In fact, ironically, graded restored and qualified comics are sometimes less in price than the same book in ungraded form. Not sure why that is but I've seen it many times. Thanks for reading.

Fantastic%20Four%2048%20R7.5%20380_zpskhhseugd.jpg

5 5